Anyone like to write? books, poems, etc...

Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 7:11 pm

I write horror fiction. I was working on a novel about werewolves that are more akin to the old, neurotic type that Lon Chaney Jr. used to play, very different from the werewolves living in their own society of the pack which is so popular today, but I got stalled. Years before that, a friend and I had collaborated on an action adventure novel (his specialty), but that pretty much ended after a woman came between us. So now, I'm concentrating on short fiction, which have nasty endings for the lead characters.
For me, writing is a labor, but it's a labor of love. Maybe the best advice given to me by the old Irish poet, James McCauley, who had headed up the creative writing department at my old school, Eastern Washington University, had been, "And remember, writing isn't easy." That's given me hope and inspiration whenever I find myself stumped for the proper description, the right dialogue, or just where the hell the story is supposed to go next.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 10:37 pm

I write.

Would anyone like to PM me your writing so I can PM mine to you back?

RosieLea
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2012, 1:08 pm

I've been writing fiction my entire life. I've had a few stories published, which is very exciting and validating.

I've been in a pretty depressing place mentally this last year that makes it difficult to write, but I'm starting to get better by writing fanfics. It's worthless writing of course, but I get feedback that makes me feel better about myself, and I've always enjoyed the challenge of writing something that sounds like someone else wrote it. :)

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 4:17 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I write.

What do you write?

Dent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Feb 2012, 10:04 pm

From time to time I partake in the creation of terrible fanfiction.

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2012, 10:45 pm

Dent wrote:
From time to time I partake in the creation of terrible fanfiction.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 1:15 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I write.

What do you write?

I write almost anything; poems, screenplays, short stories, etc.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 6:20 pm

BrandonSP wrote:
transformingcar wrote:
sounds pretty good to me, do you have any specific Dinosaur species in mind?

So far I have Velociraptor, Triceratops, Stegosaurus, Allosaurus, and Brontosaurus, but more will be added (T. Rex included).

I'd actually like to know about that Anglo-Saxon Barbarian you had earlier mentioned! Please, do tell.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 6:26 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
I write.

What do you write?

I write almost anything; poems, screenplays, short stories, etc.

Cool! I'd love to read some. Some of my writing is public, and can be found at the www button down below. ^_^

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:10 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I'd actually like to know about that Anglo-Saxon Barbarian you had earlier mentioned! Please, do tell.

Honestly, I want to keep his story a secret, but suffice to say he's hiding something from the African queen...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 10:41 pm

BrandonSP wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Honestly, I want to keep his story a secret, but suffice to say he's hiding something from the African queen...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had had the notion that your novel is taking place in an alternate world's Dynastic Egyptian period. If that is correct, it should be mentioned that the Saxon confederation of tribes hadn't existed yet, and while the Angles had already appeared in the early late republic and early imperial Roman period, it's impossible to know how far they go back. If you don't mind some friendly advice, perhaps this character could be a member of a Proto-Germanic tribe - perhaps of the Ingvaeones, who were the Anglo-Saxon's ancestors. Or you can just tell me to screw off. 8)

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 11:18 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
BrandonSP wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had had the notion that your novel is taking place in an alternate world's Dynastic Egyptian period. If that is correct, it should be mentioned that the Saxon confederation of tribes hadn't existed yet, and while the Angles had already appeared in the early late republic and early imperial Roman period, it's impossible to know how far they go back.

I know that, but I consider my story to be more fantasy than historical. In fact chances are that I'll change the world to a more fantastical one when I write the second draft.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 1:31 am

BrandonSP wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
BrandonSP wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I had had the notion that your novel is taking place in an alternate world's Dynastic Egyptian period. If that is correct, it should be mentioned that the Saxon confederation of tribes hadn't existed yet, and while the Angles had already appeared in the early late republic and early imperial Roman period, it's impossible to know how far they go back.

I know that, but I consider my story to be more fantasy than historical. In fact chances are that I'll change the world to a more fantastical one when I write the second draft.

8)

CeciliaAnn
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Feb 2012, 3:50 pm

Fiction, non-fiction, poetry, essays, speeches... I rock it with the pen.

Currently, I'm working on two autism-fiction stories.

"Misery's fun, I'm kissing everyone... I gotta hold my tongue." - The Breeders

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 10:47 pm

I haven't written anything in aaages.

The last thing I wrote were a couple of pages for last year's NaNoWriMo. After that I stopped.

I used to write a lot in 2006/2007. But these days I don't really do it. I mainly make up stories in my head to get me through the day.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman