Page 1 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Jan 2012, 8:32 pm

I wrote an article about this but it did not save and I lost it, so I am not writing another.

But what I want to know is: Do you think science is a "Man's field?"

I have been told that science is a "man's field", and that I am a female.

Yes, I am a female, but I like science and am going into a field of science.

what is your opinion on the whole "man's field" thing?

AQ: 36

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 9:39 pm

Science has traditionally been a man's field. Any woman can be as good a scientist as any man, if only they would put forth the effort.

The trick is to let go of 'feelings' and 'emotions' as evidence to support a claim. Once that is accomplished, all the is left are data.

Oh, and girls should stop being afraid of mathematics - it's not all that hard.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 10:17 pm

iceveela wrote:
I wrote an article about this but it did not save and I lost it, so I am not writing another.

I'm in the sciences, and while as a woman I am a minority, I've never had any problems because of it. I have encountered a few misconceptions, but those usually pertain to what people assume I get as a woman in science (grants and employment opportunities), and what I actually get (nothing). I have to remind people that affirmative action programs for women ended over a decade ago and employers have no quotas, in fact it would be illegal for them to hire me just for being a woman.

Perhaps there are a few private grants or scholarships directed at women in science but I certainly never met any of the criteria for them. I see far more grants and scholarships and opportunities directed at racial minorities than women.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 12:38 am

Fnord wrote:

I'm a mathematician by nature. I really don't understand what other people find hard about it. That being said, I can't draw a tree or write a book to save my life.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 1:46 am

iceveela wrote:

No. While women in science may be in the minority, they can be as competent as any man. There's nothing stopping you from going into any science field.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 2:47 am

iceveela wrote:

Science is a human field. A female person who has the mind for science and the desire to learn and achieve should be able to undertake become a scientist and succeed. Look up Lisa Randall. A first rate physicist.

ruveyn

beers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jan 2012, 4:48 am

I think it's a bit of a multidimensional perspective, personally (which is additionally likely the entire point of you creating this thread).

Traditionally, I would agree that there exists a certain sentiment with regards to women in engineering or scientific fields. This is based primarily upon personal observation within IT/Network sector. You would appear to receive much more attention as a requirement to prove your skills are of equal. I would not be surprised if this primarily originated from lingering personal insecurities of said external parties.

To me, women with a true engineering interest are quite attractive, however the person's sex has minimal bearing on their potential comparative to personal interests and traits.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 6:55 am

Unfortunately there is a feeling in our society that girls should be pretty but not be intellectual. It seems like a lot of guys aren't attracted to smart girls. There are some girls who deliberately dumb themselves down. So it follows that women do not usually go into science. I've heard female scientists say that because they dress nicely and care about their appearance, male scientists will sometimes assume that they are second-rate researchers. Our society needs to get over the whole beauty over intelligence thing and realize that brains are attractive.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 8:14 am

AstroGeek wrote:
Unfortunately there is a feeling in our society that girls should be pretty but not be intellectual. It seems like a lot of dumb and missing out guys aren't attracted to smart girls. There are some girls who deliberately dumb themselves down. So it follows that women do not usually go into science. I've heard female scientists say that because they dress nicely and care about their appearance, male scientists will sometimes assume that they are second-rate researchers. Our society needs to get over the whole beauty over intelligence thing and realize that brains are attractive.

I fixed that for you. :)

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2012, 8:39 am

Fnord wrote:
Science has traditionally been a man's field. Any woman can be as good a scientist as any man, if only they would put forth the effort.

The trick is to let go of 'feelings' and 'emotions' as evidence to support a claim. Once that is accomplished, all the is left are data.

actually, I have seen just as much emotion in men doing science as I have seen with women.

And also females and males are equal in terms of math skills. Girls actually seem to do better than guys at math...

(There is a link in the above sentence for your viewing pleasure)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 10:07 am

iceveela wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Science has traditionally been a man's field. Any woman can be as good a scientist as any man, if only they would put forth the effort. The trick is to let go of 'feelings' and 'emotions' as evidence to support a claim. Once that is accomplished, all the is left are data. Oh, and girls should stop being afraid of mathematics - it's not all that hard.
actually, I have seen just as much emotion in men doing science as I have seen with women.

As have I. The difference being that scientists seems to express their emotions and then get on with their work, while non-scientists seem more prone to express their emotions at the expense of their work.

iceveela wrote:
And also females and males are equal in terms of math skills. Girls actually seem to do better than guys at math...

If only more high-school girls would realize this fact, but most of them seem more interested in being attractive to boys - they think that brainy girls are unattractive, so they seem to try to out-sleaze each other instead of preparing themselves for a more productive future.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 10:35 am

iceveela wrote:

A commitment to science requires as much passion as a commitment to art. The idea that scientists are cold and unemotional is bogus.

ruveyn

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 10:47 am

my sole drive for learning new things come from tje joy i get form doing it, in a way it is what i am passionate about,

as for women and science my neighbors girfriend is taking molecular biology at a danish unversity and i for one dont have a clue about anything but the most basic work she does.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

iceveela
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jan 2012, 3:35 pm

Quote:
iceveela wrote:

If only more high-school girls would realize this fact, but most of them seem more interested in being attractive to boys - they think that brainy girls are unattractive, so they seem to try to out-sleaze each other instead of preparing themselves for a more productive future.

I never quite understood high schoolers and middle schoolers. To them, school is all about social activity and finding the right mate as opposed to actually learning anything. So the girls actually think it is in their best interest to get bad grades in math, etc in order to attract a mate.

These people confuse me immensely T^T

You'd believe that peer pressure is the path to godliness or something.

NicoleG
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 4:21 pm

iceveela wrote:
These people confuse me immensely T^T

Since it's relative to the thread...

I saw this line and the T^T made me instantly think of matrices.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 6:22 pm

NicoleG wrote:
AstroGeek wrote:
Unfortunately there is a feeling in our society that girls should be pretty but not be intellectual. It seems like a lot of dumb and missing out guys aren't attracted to smart girls. There are some girls who deliberately dumb themselves down. So it follows that women do not usually go into science. I've heard female scientists say that because they dress nicely and care about their appearance, male scientists will sometimes assume that they are second-rate researchers. Our society needs to get over the whole beauty over intelligence thing and realize that brains are attractive.

I fixed that for you. :)

Sorry, that was meant to be implied.