Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Damo78
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Feb 2012, 2:56 am

I just thought I'd post something about what I discovered about myself recently that was a bit of a shock but which also allows me to be more open about things.

I find that these days, I'm not really interested in what other people have to say, or other people's lives and interests. It's taken me a long time to be able to accept this without feelings of guilt. However, I'm aware that NT's are intersted in other people's lives and interests so I can feign interest to a limited degree - although probably not that effectively as all I will do is nod and say "Yeah..." when someone is talking to me about something I'm not interested in.

Anyway, I'm having to go through the whole thing of explaining AS to my boss and how it may manifest itself in my behaviour at work in order for them to make necessary modifications to the work environment etc and I found myself just coming right out and admitting that I'm not interested in what other people do, say or are interested in.

Since then I've found that my colleagues in the office are more content to leave me alone and that they only really approach me when something is important and they know I'll be interested or affected by. Other than that I'm left to my own devices so that I can get on with my work and I've found the workplace a much less stressfull environment of late because of this. Does anyone else have any similar experiences or have I just been lucky with my employer?

Intrepid_Squirrel
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Feb 2012, 7:17 am

Don't worry, EVERYONE deals with coworkers that don't strike interest in them, not just aspies. Especially under the monotony of work, I tend to phase out at times. As long as you're content with your situation and it's not affecting others negatively, good for you brother!

I have the same problem; It's so bad for me, I have a hard time even remember peoples' names when I first meet them because I don't pay attention. Personally, I feel saddend that I feel so empathetically deprived.

This might sound blunt but have you tried to socialize with your coworkers? It kills me at times that I am so isolated from people, and though I find it bothersome to have to talk with people (to the point of rather not socializing), I still strive to condition myself so that I can have the ability to enjoy company more easily.