"It's my birthday, so vote against 'Gay Marriage'"

Page 1 of 15 [ 225 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:11 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/3 ... 45461.html

14-Year-Old Girl Pleads With Senate Officials To Vote Against Gay Marriage On Her Birthday

Whether or not same-sex marriage will be legalized in Maryland remains to be seen, but one local girl has made her stance on the issue clear.

The girl, who identifies herself as Sarah and says she is home-schooled, told Maryland's Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee that not only was it her 14th birthday, but that it "would be the best birthday present ever if you would vote no on gay marriage."

She goes on to note, "I really feel bad for kids who have two parents of the same gender...I don't want any more kids to get confused about what's right and OK."

She concludes, "People have the choice to be gay, but I don't want to be affected by their choice."

Among those unlikely to agree with her are Gov. Martin O'Malley, who urged lawmakers in what Reuters has deemed an "unusual personal testimony" at the same event to approve marriage equality. "The very reason for our state's founding was for religious freedom. At the heart of religious freedom is respect for the freedom of individual conscience," he said. "The way forward, the way to sustain and enhance our common life together, is equal respect for the freedom of all," he said in unusual personal testimony that underscored the importance he attaches to the measure.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:25 pm

Correct response: "Happy birthday! Go F**k yourself, little girl!"

Diplomatic response: "Happy birthday! Go F***k yourself, little girl!"

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:28 pm

A birthday wish is a stupid reason to request the Senate to vote for or against anything.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
A birthday wish is a stupid reason to request the Senate to vote for or against anything.

Agreed. I also found her request quite hateful. "It would make me very happy if you legislated bigotry"

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:31 pm

....mhm.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I think her parents should be investigated to see whether or not they crammed such nonsense down her throat as "home schooling".

You will reap what you've sown.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:36 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Agreed. I also found her request quite hateful. "It would make me very happy if you legislated bigotry"

Home-schooled to boot. Not that there is something inherently wrong with home-schooling. The problem is a lot of the fundies think that because home schooled children statistically seem to score higher it is superior. What they take into account are a few things:

A)There are significantly fewer home-schooled children than there are going to public or private schools
B)A fair majority of this small amount of people are taught by parents who are professionally academic in some way, and in a household where only one partner actually needs to work due to financial security
C)The fundie parents themselves are probably not that bright to begin with and can't teach let alone afford to take time off work to home school. You can imagine what an intermittent education of questionable academic value will bring a person

The end result is that these fundies think they can do it to, they keep their kids at home where they learn nothing but what mom and dad tells them... Like this girl. Knowing society is moving on the only way some of these backwards people think they can hold on is by isolating their children from reality.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:42 pm

We can't assume her parents are unqualified to teach her academics just because they are socially conservative and obviously teach 'traditional' Christian values.

What we can assume is that the parents are likely unpleasant to be around if you do not share their morals.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:46 pm

Being socially conservative and/or religious does not make one unqualified; my point was most people aren't qualified, which is why homeschooling is limited to a minority of people, and ultimately a huge jump in homeschooling will see the higher scoring statistics drop dramatically reflecting this

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:48 pm

Oh, okay.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:49 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
We can't assume her parents are unqualified to teach her academics just because they are socially conservative and obviously teach 'traditional' Christian values. What we can assume is that the parents are likely unpleasant to be around if you do not share their morals.

I agree; mainly because I know several Home-School families through church, and they are likely to be unpleasant to those who don't share their opinions and beliefs in every way, and all of the time.

To even hint that you may have read "Origin of the Species" is to earn the cold-shoulder treatment from them.

I pity their kids.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:52 pm

Ugh. I remember a while back there was a kid who went up to (I think) Michelle Bachman and said something about having 2 moms and why did MB hate them. And now there's this. Why do people have to use their kids like that? Do they really think anyone is going to believe that the kid thought it up all on their own?

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:56 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Ugh. I remember a while back there was a kid who went up to (I think) Michelle Bachman and said something about having 2 moms and why did MB hate them. And now there's this. Why do people have to use their kids like that? Do they really think anyone is going to believe that the kid thought it up all on their own?

Short answer - Yes.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 8:58 pm

Props to Governor Martin O'Malley.

As for the girl: poor kid, to be indoctrinated like that and used as a tool to further this ideology of hatred. I'm glad for my compulsory public school education, otherwise I might have ended up brainwashed like her.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 9:00 pm

My "compulsory school education" included some very emphatic lessons on "The Evils of Being Queer" - both formal and informal - during the 60s and 70s in the upper Midwest.

Had I stayed in that area, I'd likely be either a lager-swilling loser or a dead outcast.

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 9:06 pm

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

I also read about that girl. How do you know that she was used? Unlike the girl in this case, she had a good reason to voice her opinion on this matter. She didn't promote inequality and discrimination, she defended her parents. I think that's something children would do on their own accord.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2012, 9:11 pm

CrazyCatLord wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

I also read about that girl. How do you know that she was used? Unlike the girl in this case, she had a good reason to voice her opinion on this matter. She didn't promote inequality and discrimination, she defended her parents. I think that's something children would do on their own accord.

I don't remember reading about this girl, but I agree that we cannot assume what she did was scripted by her parents. Indeed, I've found often times children of same-sex couples are far more likely to do this sort of thing of their own accord than children from the other side.

Still, I would not be very happy if one of my children went up to a political figure for any reason. It's my job until they're at least teenagers.