All Things Considered NPR Asperger's Story

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 2:30 pm

I heard a promo this morning for an episode on the afternoon show All Things Considered on NPR radio. The blurb said that a woman gave her husband an Aspie Test that showed he probably had Asperger's... and how they used this information to "save their marriage."

PaintingDiva
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Feb 2012, 3:05 pm

Huh, I wonder if it is about David Finch. He just wrote a book his marriage and is touring promoting it...He was dx with Aspergers as an adult...

The Journal of Best Practices, his website:

davidfinchwriter.com

JeremyNJ1984
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Feb 2012, 3:14 pm

tall-p wrote:
I heard a promo this morning for an episode on the afternoon show All Things Considered on NPR radio. The blurb said that a woman gave her husband an Aspie Test that showed he probably had Asperger's... and how they used this information to "save their marriage."

Do you know what time the story will air? I leave work around 4:15ish and would like to hear...ill probably just find it on the website later, if not.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 3:48 pm

An excerpt from the NPR book, The Journal of Best Practices, A Memoir of Marriage, Asperger Syndrome, and One Man's Quest to Be a Better Husband:

Quote:
"All right," she said. "I'm going to ask you a list of questions, and you just have to answer honestly." She must have realized that she was setting herself up by telling me to answer honestly. I tend to be verbose when people ask me to talk about myself; some would even say exhausting. I have no filter to limit my discourse to relevant things, and that puts people off. When I am invited to speak about myself, often what comes forth is the verbal equivalent of a volcanic eruption, spewing molten mind magma in every direction...

The wife is a speech therapist and autism expert.

Lucky guy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 12:40 am

This is a link to the AUDIO from the broadcast.

NPR has also provided a follow-up article, dated February 3, 2012.

"'Best Practices': Learning To Live With Asperger's"

Here are the first few paragraphs:

Quote:
When he was 30 years old, David Finch's wife, Kristen, sat him down and asked him a series of odd questions:

"Do you notice patterns in things all the time?" "Do people comment on your unusual mannerisms and habits?" "Do you feel tortured by clothes tags, clothes that are too tight or made in the 'wrong material'?" "Do you sometimes have an urge to jump over things?"

David's answers to all of these questions - and more than 100 others - was an emphatic yes.

Kristen Finch had just given her unsuspecting husband a self-quiz to evaluate for Asperger's syndrome, a condition on the autism spectrum. Her own score was 8 out of a possible 200. David's was 155.

In his new book, "The Journal of Best Practices", David Finch describes how he and Kristen worked to overcome his compulsions and sometimes anti-social behavior. David Finch studied sketch-comedy writing at the Second City in Chicago, and his work has been published in the New York Times. Kristen Finch is a speech therapist and autism expert.

We're finally getting some recognition. Thank you, Mr. and Mrs. Finch! And thank you too, NPR!

:D

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 2:10 am

The part about how his daughter turns on the water was funny! Something like, turn the water on, turn in off, turn it on, turn it off. Tap your forehead twice, and then fill the pot with water.