Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 5:24 pm

i remember a long time ago back when we still lived in arziona. our family was going through a fight, typical stuff probably i was being the stubborn mule i always will be.

my mom and dad were at ends, i was about 6 or 8 somewhere around those years old.

as a result we were all in separate rooms in the house, and ironically enough we were both watching cmt or gac one of those no direct tv at that time.

and mom's family was going through a rough time her mom and dad were getting a divorce.

and at the same time me and my mom were watch the music video for "i don't call him daddy" i song about a kid in a divorce situation. needless to say me and my mom were driven to tears and all the fighting that day didn't mean anything.

i was little then and thought because my parents were fighting they were going to get a divorce and my mom's parents were actually going through a divorce.

not sure if that was cruel irony or what. but i still remember that.

has there been any events you were going through and had a song about the same thing start playing or anything like that.

MusicIsLife2Me
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Feb 2012, 5:40 pm

Yes. Both of my parents died. My dad when I was 18 and my mom when I was 28. I do have a hard time believing in things like God and heaven because I always want proof of everything. But I do have this part of me that yearns for those things to be true. If God and heaven do exist then I'll see my parents again. This song always makes me cry, but makes me feel good to think of a happy ending.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX6m1xNwmgY&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/youtube]

Beaux
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Feb 2012, 6:05 pm

Arcade Fire's songs capture the feel of modern youth outcasts perfectly. They strike the perfect balance between angst and intellect, without feeling either whiny or snobbish. Also, Brian Wilson's music, especially Pet Sounds, resonate with me by capturing the feel of "They say I've got brains, but they ain't doing me no good" ... "I guess I just wasn't made for these times" while remaining absolutely beautiful.

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2012, 6:28 pm

yeah i find it cool when a song fits a part in my life like that, as they say if your going through hard times most of the time you can turn on the radio and find a song that just fits.

to MusicIsLife2Me: that's really sad, both my mom and dad are still alive, i should count my blessings more often. it's nice that something helps you through that, my dad's dad died in a motorcycle wreak a few years back right in front of i think it was shrapp ford car dealer he even remembers the exact strip of road it happened on.

his dad hit a mustang broadside. he didn't die completely but was in a bad mental state and slowly died. my mom's bro and dad also died now one of her sisters hates her and their mom. pretty messed up but but it was a shock my my grandpa died, he was the kind that could still water ski in his 70s one ski as well and he would do some wild stunts as well.

so it was odd that he died just like that.

anyway another song i relate to is "best of intentions" when kirby died i played this over and over. i think i might have died a bit each time.

there are many others i'll have to try and remember them. i think for every event i went through i found a song that said more then any words could.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 1:17 am

I usually find music to be my only comfort when going through hard events.
Without music than I would probably not be alive.

I was bullied very badly in school to the point where my back was bruised.
When I came home I turned on my music and cried. About that time I discovered a band called "The Smiths.
I don't like then too much anymore but at the time they were helpful.
The had a song called "How soon is Now" and I used to play it repetitively.
The lyrics said just what I wanted to here. " I am human and I need to be loved / Just like everybody else does"

I also listened to The Clash obsessively at that time. They made me go into daydream mode where I felt safe from harm.
When I was slammed against the wall I would replay their songs in my head.

Music doesn't always relate to the events in my life but it makes everything okay for just a moment.

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

Jetfox
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 1:55 am

artrat wrote:
I usually find music to be my only comfort when going through hard events.
Without music than I would probably not be alive.

I was bullied very badly in school to the point where my back was bruised.
When I came home I turned on my music and cried. About that time I discovered a band called "The Smiths.
I don't like then too much anymore but at the time they were helpful.
The had a song called "How soon is Now" and I used to play it repetitively.
The lyrics said just what I wanted to here. " I am human and I need to be loved / Just like everybody else does"

I also listened to The Clash obsessively at that time. They made me go into daydream mode where I felt safe from harm.
When I was slammed against the wall I would replay their songs in my head.

Music doesn't always relate to the events in my life but it makes everything okay for just a moment.

dang sounds like you had a rough life, good thing something gives you comfort. i wasn't in public school long, after a short while was put in private school. we never beat on anyone else like that, teachers two sons tormented each other now and then nothing violent though.

but yeah i use music to sooth me as well. like a healing ability. the event i posted though was sorta one of those things that seemed staged, even now it's hard to believe it was random chance. because my mom didn't tell me her parents were divorcing prior to watching the tv, and we were watching the same channel and the same song as well, i guess the stars were aligned just right or something. but that was always an event that struck me as odd.

but yeah i fell asleep listening to evanescence once with bose headphones on and the volume cranked up, they say music is soothing. *shrugs*

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 3:03 am

Oasis - Live Forever, because it kind of made me admit I actually want to live more than I want to die, at age 13:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_2mWhfOhGU[/youtube]

There have been other songs and incidents, but maybe they're personal. I'll say one thing, because I'm not ashamed of it, somehow, but my mum's boyfriend tried to force a kiss on me several times, in addition to getting me drunk.

I was listening to it, and it agreed with me:

Quote:
I'm taking what's rightfully mine
By birth
Not giving to you my skin and what's left of my mind
Less worth
Are going with me, too
Going with me, too
They're going with me, too
Going with me, too

Ian McCulloch - Heaven's Gate

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdY9gltdCM8[/youtube]

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2012, 4:03 am

Ever since I was a teenager, there's this one song that keeps popping into my head whenever I'm preparing myself for something really scary.
It doesn't really have anything to do with that kind of stuff - the words are unrelated - but it really helps me focus and "man up" for stuff like white water kayaking or skiing down insanely steep hills. I stand there looking down the mountain side, and if I start getting doubts the song starts churning, and I can feel myself getting more focused and ready. And I almost never wimp out if the song is "playing".

I don't really like the song, and I have never bought the record it's on or learned or even bothered to listen to all the words in it, but as soon as I need some resolve, there it is.

Weird, but helpful.
:)

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 4:19 am

Cool! :)

justalouise
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Feb 2012, 5:45 am

I listened to an awful lot of Don Williams (sappy golden era country musician) during my last breakup.