Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sarah81
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Nov 2013, 5:21 am

Jamesy wrote:
I think being angry or having anger problems should count as a disability. heck my anger problems are holding me back from doing the things i want too do.

do you agree with me or not that anger is a VERY powerful emotion that can disable you.

If the anger problems are holding you back, then you have a disability.
Using the old World Health Organisation terminology, 'disability' describes the daily activities you have trouble doing, for example, 'communicating effectively'. In this terminology, 'anger' and the structural/functional problems causing 'anger' is the underlying impairment. 'handicap' refers to the social roles that are affected, for example, being employed.
Different terminology is used now, with the words 'disability' and 'handicap' being phased out.

There are many different medical problems which can cause anger, for example, post traumatic stress disorder, bipolar disorder, depression, substance abuse.. the list is lengthy. However if you do have anger, there may be a legitimate underlying cause.
I don't think you can get a diagnosis of 'anger', since it is usually the result of another diagnosis or a situation you can't control.