Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 2:19 pm

Do you get annoyed when people don't hear you and you have to repeat? I know I do this sometimes but it just irritates when other people always do it. When I'm giving my details to someone official and they ask for my house number or post code, I say it as clear as anything, and they still not hear. When I say ''N'', they think I say ''M'' every time. When I say ''60'' or ''80'', they think I say ''16'' or ''18'' every time, or any other letters or numbers like that (unless they are clear, like the letter ''Z'' or ''A'' or ''H'', or the numbers ''12'' or ''10'' or ''4'', etc, etc.) It's so annoying. Also when I say my name, they always think I've said a different name that sounds similar.

Also I hate it when my mum comes into my room in the morning to ask me something she needs to know, and I'm half-asleep, and when you've just woken up your muscles in your jaw are all relaxed so you can't speak very properly, and so she always says, ''what?'' and then I get so angry that I yell at her. I just hate repeating what I've said twice.

Also I get mad when I'm quietly playing on my portable Sega with the volume right down, and people say, ''what's that sound?'' and go all still and quiet to listen out, and when they finally realise it's me, they say, ''oh I thought it was a mobile phone going off'', then when a mobile phone is going off in the room, nobody seems to hear it, so I've got to yell out, ''somebody's phone is ringing!'' - even though the sound of a mobile phone is louder than my Sega.

OOHHHH!! !! Don't people annoy you?! !! Do people annoy anyone else when they can't hear what you say, or hear the wrong thing?

diniesaur
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 2:22 pm

Most of my family is going deaf, so I'm kind of used to it... :?
But it really, really bothers me when I tell someone my name and they mess it up! I'm particularly sensitive about my last name for some reason. It's not a hard name to pronounce. But people still write it down wrong! :evil:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 2:48 pm

This does not annoy me, because I am one of the people who cannot hear what other people are saying to them and are constantly asking other people to repeat themselves several times in succession.

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 2:58 pm

I think what you are describing is a function of not caring. People that care are good listeners. That's not to say that anyone who can't hear doesn't care, but there is a difference between not being able to hear and having selective hearing.

ebec11
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 3:03 pm

diniesaur wrote:
Most of my family is going deaf, so I'm kind of used to it... :?
But it really, really bothers me when I tell someone my name and they mess it up! I'm particularly sensitive about my last name for some reason. It's not a hard name to pronounce. But people still write it down wrong! :evil:
Agreed, my last name is similar to Cayenne, so people pronounce it like that, when it has more of a K sound to it. It annoys me when I tell somebody multiple times, and they still mess it up.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 3:11 pm

I have this issue and it's probably because of my early hearing loss I had. I used to leave endings off of words and beginnings because I couldn't hear those sounds. I used to hear my name as "Beh" so that's how I said it. I didn't start hearing the the sound until I learned more of the sounds when I was learning to read and then I figured it out because my name had th at the end. Plus people had to say th really loud for me to hear it when they were teaching me to speak right.

I think it's harder to hear over the phone for anyone but for me it's worse. Still some words still sound the same to my hears so it's hard to hear like sometimes 70 sounds like 17 to me or 17 sound like 70 to me. But of course I go by looks like if an elderly were to say they are that age, I assume they said 70. If it was a young person, I assume they said 17. Common sense. For a while I thought it was judy lady than duty lady when I first heard the name in kindergarten and I learned that is what those people are called on the playground that carry whistles and walk around.

So sorry I bug you with my hearing. :roll:

So no this doesn't annoy me when people do this because I know how it feels to get meanness and nastiness for your hearing problem and being made fun of for it and when people get mad at you for it so I assume everyone else has this issue when I experience it.

Kalika
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Feb 2012, 6:54 pm

I have to admit that I do get annoyed when asked to repeat myself, but it's mainly because I apparently have trouble speaking clearly, and since I hear myself speaking "normally", it's very difficult to catch or correct this.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2012, 10:37 pm

Because some of us have auditory processing problems.

Feel free to not talk to me.

Thanks.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

DJFester
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 1:25 am

XFilesGeek wrote:
Because some of us have auditory processing problems.

Yep. That, combined with some hearing loss in my case. Sorry to those annoyed by this, but I can't help it.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 9:26 am

I have never been bothered by this. I have hearing problems so I have to ask people to repeat things or speak more clearly. My Mum and Grandma are hard of hearing so I have to speak clearly to them or repeat myself. Unfortunately the English language does have some words, numbers and letters which sounds similar or the same despite different meaning. I have noticed that Brits, especially teenagers (points at her brother) mumble quite a bit as well! Yeah it is slightly annoying when someone changes my surname to Chapman or thinks I have said N instead of M, but that's why police use a coded alphabet when reading out numberplates over the radio, because misunderstandings may occur. If you say, for example, 'M for mother' or 'N for Night' when spelling when they misunderstand, it can clear it up quite quickly. If someone REALLY can't hear me I sign (BSL/Makaton) or write it down.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 11:41 am

In the past two or three years I've noticed I can't hear as well as I used to. I think it's just aging or something. I'm only 47 and there is no hearing loss in my family, but I tend to ask "what?" a lot and have the tv a bit louder than others. I'll yell to one of the kids from one end of the house, and end up yelling the same question three or four times before they YELL the answer back at me in an angry voice. My family gets mad at me about that too, and it's not like I'm doing it on purpose. I can hear them speak but can't make out what they say. It's not my fault, but they act like it is, and they get mad and that sometimes hurts my feelings.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2012, 12:23 pm

I know I have the tendency to speak way too loud, or too quietly so I just assume I'm not projecting enough. My son is the same way except I'm constantly reminding him we're indoors and I'm right beside him. Neither one of us really takes it personally.