whistling,spitting, dry coughing what does it symbolize.

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Artfuljin
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Feb 2012, 2:39 pm

i have began to notice that some people i don't even know either cough whistle, or spit around me when they notice my presence. this often happens when i walk into a place or past someone in the street. i just want to know is there some american context to is or something i don't know about because its beginning to feel like slights i don't understand why i deserve .

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2012, 4:02 pm

If these are strangers, then I have no idea what their jestures may symbolize (and I am American...I live in Idaho).

If they know you, then they probably have some inside joke about you and the whistle-cough or whatever is simply a way to alert their friends to your presence so they can enjoy some pathetic laugh at your expense.

Whatever they are doing doesn't seem very nice though. :?

Artfuljin

09 Feb 2012, 4:19 pm

always seems to be strangers

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Feb 2012, 4:32 pm

In that case, perhaps the strangers are noticing something about your appearance?? I don't know...it's just an idea.

When I was younger, strangers occasionally did things like this when I wasn't with my parents or other adults and it was usually them making fun of my appearance.

It is tough to know for sure.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2012, 4:57 pm

I have had something similar. When teenager boys go past, they either say ''hello'' in a funny voice, or they whistle a loud tune, or make strange animal noises, as though they're trying to get my attention. I always take it personally and think they're just taking the piss, but my younger cousin said that when she was about 13, him and his mates once walked past a girl who looked really ''fit'' and one of them pulled down their trousers and flashed their bum at her. And I knew this girl - she was older than them but was really confident and so didn't give off any nervous vibes or anything, they really did fancy her and thought she was beautiful, so they reacted to their feelings in a strange and humiliating way. But I'm not sure if boys fancy me because I'm not that great - I don't dress up, I'm not overly beautiful, and I don't walk ion a confident way, so they probably are just taking the piss. As usual.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Feb 2012, 11:13 am

People spit at my feet at times but only the ghetto folk. I get lots of stares and feel people would mess with me more If I didn't look like a bit of a hardass. I remember one of my friends of 5 yrs. said she was afraid to approach me because of my expression. Some people are looking to start trouble, don't give them their wish. It'll make you look bad and possibly put you in jail. If they try to hurt you though screw the law lol.

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2012, 11:22 am

Onyxaxe wrote:
People spit at my feet at times but only the ghetto folk. I get lots of stares and feel people would mess with me more If I didn't look like a bit of a hardass. I remember one of my friends of 5 yrs. said she was afraid to approach me because of my expression. Some people are looking to start trouble, don't give them their wish. It'll make you look bad and possibly put you in jail. If they try to hurt you though screw the law lol.

I totally agree with your statement about screwing the law if someone tries to hurt you. I am lucky and live in the U.S. in states where defending oneself if expected. I have had to fight off male attackers several times in my life. (I am a small female.)

If you have to defend yourself, remember that there is no such thing as "fighting fair."

And maybe i need to try out that harda$$ thing...you may be on to something! :D

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 11:38 am

I don't know what it could mean if anything but if people do it around me I don't notice or think it has nothing to do with me. If they cough I think they must be sick or have an irritated throat.

I remember seeing another topic a while ago about people coughing around you.

Seashell
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Feb 2012, 12:34 pm

The same thing happens to me. At both my current job and my last job, people have started whistling when they see me and I don't know why. I wondered if it's because I make them feel uncomfortable or they're trying to deter me from speaking to them.

I've also noticed people always seem to be coughing around me. It made me wonder if I smell. But I've asked people I know and they say I must be imagining it. I'm definitely not imagining the whistling thing though.

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2012, 12:52 pm

If it feels like a slight, it most likely is.

Do you ever catch these same people smirking? If so, that's definitely what it is.

Best to just ignore it. Reacting to that crap just gives them what they want. It's childish behavior even by NT standards. It's unacceptable childishness, but the only good way to handle it is be the adult among them, and don't react at all.

People like that are true emotional infants.

There is a lot more power in letting them think you have no idea what they're up to. You know something they don't, but they think it's the other way around. Just know that. That alone is self-empowering.

Opinions of people like that are worthless.

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...