Does anyone else on here get these symptoms from acid reflux

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Alienboy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2012, 11:17 pm

Today I had to drink something to stay awake after a sleepless night and like an idiot I drank a Monster energy drink. I only do this once in a blue moon (like a few times a year) when I am exhausted, but need to stay awake. I have had acid reflux for years now (maybe like 4 years) and it is usually not too bad and goes away after a few hours or less, but I had the energy drink this morning and my throat has been bothering me a long time. It is starting to calm down now, but when I was in the shower, my esophageal reflux was getting intense. My throat doesn't get that burning feeling people usually describe. My throat will just feel like it has something caught in it and sometimes it feels like the acid coming up is blocking my throat and I panic. It sometimes feels like my throat is going to close up or like disintegrate and fall away from the acid splashing up. It is terrible and scary! My father also has acid reflux and he tells me that he gets it even worse because he sometimes actually vomits the acid (sorry for the visual). This has never happened to me...but I still worry that maybe I could have cancer? I can swallow foods alright and when I don't drink energy drinks,coffee, don't eat spicy foods, too much food...I usually feel fine, but when I eat/drink something I'm not supposed to and the reflux kicks in...my throat feels likes its dying. Does this just sound like bad reflux and not cancer or does it seem like I might have a serious problem? I plan to go have my entire esophagus checked out soon, but I just wanted to see if anyone on here can relate to the symptoms I feel when a bout if reflux occurs?

P.S. The idea of cancer in my throat scares the living s**t out of me.

clthomps
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Feb 2012, 11:30 pm

My father and I both have it really bad. In fact, the acid has destroyed my back molars and effected my esophagus. I can even throw up on will now, kind of like some weird super-hero.

Alienboy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2012, 11:44 pm

http://heartburn.about.com/cs/articles/ ... icture.htm

After reading this...sounds like I have an esophageal stricture.

Alienboy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2012, 11:50 pm

clthomps wrote:
My father and I both have it really bad. In fact, the acid has destroyed my back molars and effected my esophagus. I can even throw up on will now, kind of like some weird super-hero.

Oh that is terrible...I am sorry to hear that. Is there a history of esophageal/stomach cancer in your family? Do you or your dad also get the symptoms I described in your throat? Sometimes it feels like if I took my finger and push even lightly on my trachea...my throat would snap and fall like an elevator cut from the cables it hangs from. It is such a messed up feeling. I can also describe it as a bubble behind my trachea that is just sitting there. These symptoms go away after the reflux goes away. Oddly enough, the reflux doesn't really effect my teeth.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 1:34 am

Alienboy wrote:
Today I had to drink something to stay awake after a sleepless night and like an idiot I drank a Monster energy drink. I only do this once in a blue moon (like a few times a year) when I am exhausted, but need to stay awake. I have had acid reflux for years now (maybe like 4 years) and it is usually not too bad and goes away after a few hours or less, but I had the energy drink this morning and my throat has been bothering me a long time. It is starting to calm down now, but when I was in the shower, my esophageal reflux was getting intense. My throat doesn't get that burning feeling people usually describe. My throat will just feel like it has something caught in it and sometimes it feels like the acid coming up is blocking my throat and I panic. It sometimes feels like my throat is going to close up or like disintegrate and fall away from the acid splashing up. It is terrible and scary! My father also has acid reflux and he tells me that he gets it even worse because he sometimes actually vomits the acid (sorry for the visual). This has never happened to me...but I still worry that maybe I could have cancer? I can swallow foods alright and when I don't drink energy drinks,coffee, don't eat spicy foods, too much food...I usually feel fine, but when I eat/drink something I'm not supposed to and the reflux kicks in...my throat feels likes its dying. Does this just sound like bad reflux and not cancer or does it seem like I might have a serious problem? I plan to go have my entire esophagus checked out soon, but I just wanted to see if anyone on here can relate to the symptoms I feel when a bout if reflux occurs?

P.S. The idea of cancer in my throat scares the living sh** out of me.

I've never heard of reflux feeling like that but perhaps it could. Anyone with acid reflux should have an upper endoscopy every few years. This is where they stick a camera down your throat and take a look around. They do it under conscious sedation, which means you can respond to their commands but you won't remember any of it or feel anything.

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 2:33 am

I had reflux really bad as a teen. Really nasty stuff. Still get heartburn every now and again.

The weirdest thing for me, though(and I still get this sometimes) is sometimes in my esophagus I'd get and have to hack up this weird yellow chunk of stuff.

I'm glad to have it mostly behind me.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 1:41 pm

i get what you describe but from anxiety. I think it is to do with to much contraction in the muscles around the esophagus. Are you sure it was not a combination of that and the acid reflux. It seems likely to me due to your lack of sleep and caffeine consumption which can both bring about anxiety

IDontGetIt
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2012, 3:25 pm

I've had acid reflux cause me to get nodes on my vocal chords, and ended up having two operations to remove them. They felt like something was stuck in my throat as if I just couldn't swallow it.

Alienboy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Feb 2012, 4:45 pm

conan wrote:
i get what you describe but from anxiety. I think it is to do with to much contraction in the muscles around the esophagus. Are you sure it was not a combination of that and the acid reflux. It seems likely to me due to your lack of sleep and caffeine consumption which can both bring about anxiety

I do get anxiety sometimes. I didn't know anxiety caused symptoms in the throat. What feelings do you get in your throat when you are feeling anxiety?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 7:31 pm

google hiatal hernia. people who tend to have to burp a lot usually have undx'ed hiatal hernias as well as acid reflux, which is especially bad when lying down, i can't count the number of times i've been violently awoken by regurgitated stomach contents going into my lungs and making me cough my guts out. it runs in my family.

conan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 4:06 pm

for me it can feel like a lump in my throat either like it's blocking my esophagus or not, Tight airway/esophagus difficulty swallowing/swallowing a lot, dry mouth. all sorts of symptoms i guess!

occasionally i would get this pain where it felt like part of my throat would collapse. it would pop back out soon after though. That was very much a physical thing but possibly aggravated by anxiety

aspiefeminist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Feb 2012, 11:35 pm

I have this same thing happen sometimes too from my reflux. So, (I am totally not one to comment since I do it all the time but) assuming you have cancer and figuring out what it could me and self-diagnosing usually just causes more stress, and more stress makes gastrointestinal issues worse. Plus, if you are having stuff checked out soon (endoscopy?) then that is what they'd do anyway if they thought it could be cancer or something.
How long is it until you see your GI?

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 5:06 pm

I am not sure wha tis cause and effect here. Reflux can cause your esophagus to be damaged, which may lead to more reflux I think.

I get bad reflux sometimes, but I have an eating issue in which I self-induce vomiting. That being the case cna trigger my esophagus to go in "throw up mode" even when I don't engage in the behavior.