Doing odd things on purpose just to get attention

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 4:57 pm

When I was younger, I used to want relatives or friends to laugh at me (not horribly), and so I used to do stupid, odd things like drop something on purpose or trip up on purpose, but pretend it's an accident, just so people will go, ''oops'', or, ''you all right?'' or just laugh. I don't know why I used to do it. Then one day, my uncle's girlfriend saw that I was dropping a bag of crisps on purpose and said, ''don't drop them on purpose, we got to eat them later and they'll be all broken up!'' I felt really stupid after that.

I don't do it so much now because I have a fear of looking stupid, but I always used to do it. Not sure if it was just a kid thing, but I didn't see other kids doing it without meaning to, so I was wondering if other Aspies here do it or used to do it? Or it might just be me trying to get attention.

Rax
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Feb 2012, 5:15 pm

I kinda did and my sister acts weird and annoying to get laughs.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 6:53 pm

Yes, it does sound like you were just trying to get attention. If you are still interested in getting attention, and still like using comic behavior to do it, I suggest that you might like to try developing comedy routines, and try to become a professional comic. Only stop breaking the chips, and don't mess with other breakable things around the house. That just gets people annoyed, and they may come to think you are a klutz.

I knew a boy in high school who was already a professional magician. He would do his magic act at parties, and yes, he got paid for it. If you can work up some comedy routines you could do it at parties, and at small local functions, and local talent shows, until you get enough experience to head for the big time.

Good luck with becoming a comic! :-D

Krychek
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Feb 2012, 7:14 pm

Joe90 wrote:
When I was younger, I used to want relatives or friends to laugh at me (not horribly), and so I used to do stupid, odd things like drop something on purpose or trip up on purpose, but pretend it's an accident, just so people will go, ''oops'', or, ''you all right?'' or just laugh. I don't know why I used to do it. Then one day, my uncle's girlfriend saw that I was dropping a bag of crisps on purpose and said, ''don't drop them on purpose, we got to eat them later and they'll be all broken up!'' I felt really stupid after that.

I don't do it so much now because I have a fear of looking stupid, but I always used to do it. Not sure if it was just a kid thing, but I didn't see other kids doing it without meaning to, so I was wondering if other Aspies here do it or used to do it? Or it might just be me trying to get attention.

I more or less did this too..

questor wrote:
If you are still interested in getting attention, and still like using comic behavior to do it, I suggest that you might like to try developing comedy routines, and try to become a professional comic.

This is the route that I've been taking. Except that I do NOT like attention like I did when I was a child. I only did it then because making people laugh seemed to be the ONLY way I connected to other people..

..Doing stand-up comedy is scary, but some aspies might be better than others at speaking in front of people.. me, not so much..
Alot of what is funny in life is the literal outlook on things people say or do in life.. and aspies are definitely good at pointing that out.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 7:23 pm

I often did things as a kid to get attention. It was so hard to control and I had no idea why I had that issue. I thought in my teens it was maybe an AS issue but I have never read anything in AS books or online about aspies doing things just to get attention. If I hear from other aspies personally doing the same thing when they were little or hear about an aspie child doing it, it's probably a coincidence.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 9:27 pm

I also did those things as a kid.