Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Shadewraith
Toucan
Toucan

24 Feb 2012, 1:22 pm

I wouldn't call it OCD unless you really correct every little grammatical error. Grammar changes over time too. For example, most people won't correct a split infinitive any more. The ones that drive me crazy are "a vs an", "there vs they're vs their", "affect vs. effect", and "to vs too". But using "since" instead of "because" or "while" instead of "though" doesn't bother me. Neither does starting a sentence with a conjunction or ending a sentence with a preposition. There's actually an interesting video on grammar, how it changes, and how some people are way too uptight about it. I just wish I could find it.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 1:59 pm

Sometimes I can be fussy about grammar etc and at other times not so much.

If it is just a casual conversation on msn then a bit of bad grammar or misspelling does not bother me, unless they are talking in text speak, at which point I just want to pull all my hair out and scream lol.

If it is a more formal affair then I tend to be more fussy, especially with my own grammar (I.e. if writing an essay for University).

Very bad grammar and spelling does make me slightly less inclined to want to communicate with someone though, unless they have something like dyslexia or English is not their first language. Then I don't mind.

skribble
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Mar 2012, 6:36 pm

I have the same ocd nuances towards what you've mentioned.

I tend to want to spell everything correctly, although sometimes I do give the occasional error a go and try to go with the "flow".

cheers :)
skribble

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 8:47 pm

i consider it extremely rude to point out the errors in another person's post. so when i see someone being a grammar nazi on the forum, i sometimes take the time to correct the grammar in the grammar nazi's post. there is always someone more knowledgeable than the grammar nazi when it comes to spelling, punctuation, or word usage. :D

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 8:48 pm

oh, and if it is actual OCD, there are treatments for it that may help. in many cases it is simply perfectionism though.

AnOldHFA
Raven
Raven

01 Mar 2012, 9:44 pm

I have never been good with grammar or spelling.
Even though I have always worked to improve, my brian is not wired correctly to allow me to be normal with language. Most of my spelling errors are because of dyslexia.

Being autistic, one of my interests is of language. I have never given up and I can see the improvements made every time I look back a few years. Evan though I struggle, I still sometimes correct others spelling or grammer usage. It kind of fustrates me becasue I have worked so hard, and some could do better, but don't care.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2012, 11:16 pm

mindmapper wrote:
I can get really OCD on grammar and spelling. Whenever I see typos or common grammar mistakes, I can get rather frustrated on the inside, especially when not correcting them.

I do correct people on their grammar all the time during conversations. This is often not appreciated, probably because it might seem rather interruptive. In online chats I often end up linking images like this one (link), hoping people will look at that and stop making the common mistakes that annoy me so much. :lol:

I wonder what to do to make myself more tolerant towards things like this ...

What you describe is NOT OCD.
Search DSM IV for the diagnostic criteria.

levicorpus
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Mar 2012, 1:11 am

I pretty much always take notice when someone makes an error or misspells something, but its rare for me to tell them outright unless its someone I know very well.

I automatically correct it in my head though (like if someone says "Yeah, I'm did good on my test" I'll typically have an automatic thought of "No you did well, not good").

I try to avoid saying it aloud because I know most people find it annoying / people (including myself) will make mistakes sometimes.