Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 11:15 am

Did anyone watch it?

I was rather disappointed by the UKIP deputy leader's performance as he seemed to rely on tacky Daily Mail style playing to the authoritarian gallery rather than the intelligent analysis that should have been there. I expected far more from him as a UKIP member and supporter.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 11:41 am

Tequila wrote:
I expected far more from him as a UKIP member and supporter.

I didn't even watch it, but I probably wouldn't be surprised if I did. That's how UKIP do their PR. That's why people laugh at them.

EDIT: I'd like to add that in Britain, we don't have sizeable demographic of what in the US are called 'libertarians'. We have a lot of vaguely bigoted, authoritarian conservatives, though. Most of the votes that UKIP are fighting for are from the Daily Fail crowd.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 12:03 pm

an unsually low number of oxbridge panellists this week* - only 3 and they didnt invite anyone to speak out against workfare. total whitewash, was the A4E scam even mentioned?

*its often 4/5 and im not even counting the presenter!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 12:07 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
I didn't even watch it, but I probably wouldn't be surprised if I did. That's how UKIP do their PR. That's why people laugh at them.

And that's the part of UKIP that I have a problem with. There is a considerable classical liberal wing in UKIP but they get drowned at times by the authoritarian paternalist crowd. Be under no illusions: I have very little time for the Daily Mail wing and a lot of people in UKIP haven't either. We're an anti-EU party so there's a lot of different opinions and when I see idiots like Nuttall behaving like this it makes me feel alienated. If someone like Nuttall became leader I'd abandon the party altogether.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 12:10 pm

psych wrote:
was the A4E scam even mentioned?

Nuttall was in favour of the scheme. My jaw dropped through the floor when I heard him slabber on about how good it was, about how it's about getting young people back into work. He seemed to be living on a completely different planet to the rest of us.