Can people with autism have relationships/

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Subotai
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2012, 9:42 pm

I'd honestly say many can, and most have the potential to get to a point where they can, but there do exist many who will never reach that point due to circumstance and/or lack of conviction.
Such is the reality of life I suppose.

I myself have felt hopeless in the past, but I've learned that often a small and unconsidered thing is often a catalyst for growth to levels beyond what I thought possible. Being trapped in a vicious circle spiraling towards oblivion feels insurmountable, but now that I've found my muse and broken free I feel I can accomplish whatever I want.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 2:40 am

Ganondox wrote:
Nope, we can only sit in the corner, rocking back and forth while muttering about cars.

Screw you and your stereotypes.

I mutter about skyscrapers.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 3:17 am

Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Some social stuff. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle. Anti-tank rifle.

There's my brain.

Wolfheart
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 5:57 am

It takes a strong amount of mutual understanding, compromise, patience, tolerance and work from both people to maintain a relationship, it's even harder for those of us on the spectrum. If you are good at creating a good first impression or you build enough social experience to build a good impression, you could find yourself having flings or short term relationships without any real emotional meaning or connection.

The-Raven
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 7:31 am

Im not capable of having long term healthy relationships.

Ive not got the emotional equipment or abilities to share a life with someone and remain close to them long term.

Im too grumpy and controlling, I dont like change and doing things other peoples way, I dont like my stuff touched and moved, I dont like my routine interrupted. I dont see anyway I could live with someone or even spend more than a few hours with someone.

In all the relationships Ive tried, I can be ok for a few hours and then i feel gradually more anxious and stressed until a row happens and they go home and I can breathe a sigh of relief and get back to my interests and routine.

I just dont like being round people enough to motivate me to make all the sacrifices needed to maintain a relationship.

Im very different from other people, view the world so differently and have such different views that i feel I have to not be able to be myself just to have a tolerable conversation with others, relationships involve so much self monitoring so as not to offend or appall, that its just not worth it for me. Exhausting and painful for both parties.

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 7:32 am

I was going to type something that would be life changing and news breaking. But I forgot. :lol:

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Catman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Feb 2012, 10:34 am

Mithos wrote:
I was going to type something that would be life changing and news breaking. But I forgot. :lol:

You crack me up! :D

Matt62 wrote:
Still trying, will be 50 tomorrow. YUCK!!

Have a very pleasant day, or as close to it as you can, Matthew! :D

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2012, 6:30 pm

Catman wrote:
Mithos wrote:

You crack me up! :D

Matt62 wrote:
Still trying, will be 50 tomorrow. YUCK!!

Have a very pleasant day, or as close to it as you can, Matthew! :D
It's what I do best. I can make ANYONE laugh, I'm a very optimistic and cheery/talkative character when I'm in the right mood and situation. :)

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie