Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2006, 11:14 pm

Is there a link?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

28 Oct 2006, 11:18 pm

I'm nearsighted I remember reading years ago that people with above average intellgents were more likely to be nearsighted. Got to be some evolutionary advantage
to the genes or we would not be here. Meaning some usefull gene is bunched with
nearsightedness.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2006, 11:35 pm

Well, I am FAR sighted! My vision WAS 20/25 until 9 years ago when I believed a QUACK that said a problem I had was due to eyestrain. It WASN'T!

I have known people with GOOD eyesight, and POOR eyesight. MOST people with poor eyesight that I polled (and most people that SEEM to have good eyesight aparantly ALSO fall into this group) are NEAR sighted. I have found NO correlation between intelligence and eyesight!

BTW I ALSO saw no listed mention with sutism or aspergers.

BTW I don't see how there could be ANY advantage, ESPECIALLY to nearsighted. Many nearsighted people I have spoken too, INCLUDING some that were pretty smart, indicated that without contacts or glasses they were near BLIND!

Muscle attachments, and orbits cause compression of the eyeball and/or distortion cornea. Earlier, according to that quack, my eyeball was pretty much normal, but my cornea was distorted(In other words, pretty much perfect focus, but distorted image(aka ASTIGMATISM)). NOW, I STILL have the astigmatism(corrected by my muscles, and eyeglasses), but have more eyeball distortion(farsighted). This could have happened because the gradual muscle changes made to correct the vision were abruptly changed by the eyeglasses allowing them to be reversed.

Steve

Mitch8817
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2006, 11:59 pm

>>I'm nearsighted I remember reading years ago that people with above average intellgents were more likely to be nearsighted.<<

What would be the reason for this? Some sort of biological punishment for being so smart?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 12:41 am

Mitch8817 wrote:
>>I'm nearsighted I remember reading years ago that people with above average intellgents were more likely to be nearsighted.<<

What would be the reason for this? Some sort of biological punishment for being so smart?

pure chance.

oh I read that before 1993 so maybe it was this study

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.h ... A96E948260

oh maybe pax 6
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAX6

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 12:57 am

I wear glasses, but I have an IQ of -47.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 1:00 am

werbert wrote:
I wear glasses, but I have an IQ of -47.

But your above average were it counts. :D

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 8:26 am

I don't know if there is a link, but if you're collecting information, I'm near sighted... further than a foot away from my nose everything is blurry.

Stevo_the_Human
Raven
Raven

29 Oct 2006, 9:41 am

I constantly feel like anything that says "a link to autism and (x disorder or disease) is complete BS. Look at the mercury-containing vaccienes.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 10:21 am

I WISH they could get me to review the GRAS list FIRST! I seem to know SO much more than the average doctor, etc... about such things! I KNEW asbestos, etc.... could cause such problems. I KNEW mercury and lead, etc... could cause such problems. I was EVEN warning people about particle board LONG before anyone else said ANYTHING! Before I even knew how it was made! GUESS WHAT?????? About 10 years AFTER I declared the danger(I was only a little kid!), they found that the ureaformaldehyde resin was UNSTABLE! It turned out I was smelling the formaldehyde the whole time. They had LONG ago determined formaldehyde was DANGEROUS, and they passed a law that all mobile homes(Most had LOTS of particle board) should have a WARNING sticker on the jamb indicating this! And HECK, if I think something might be safe and beneficial, ****I**** RESEARCH it before I take it! Sometimes, I find out YEARS ahead of everyone else that it is BUNK and, while it MIGHT be safe, I shouldn't take it ANYWAY!

But NO! Autism can have many causes. Autism is basically brain damage, or disabling, in a special way. AS is basically caused by damage to, or disabling off, part of the mammalian brain. The NEO mammalian and remaining mammalian brain is remapped so that you can still operate, etc... but skills that the mammalian brain is supposed to have suffer. They include emotion and fine motor skills.

NON AS Autism ALSO affects the mammalian brain but some OTHER parts may be affected noticably, and the NEO mammalian brain is likely to be affected. I guess even the REPITILIAN brain may be affected.(Which can even cause normal animal processes to fail or suffer.)

Still, I am sure EVERYONE has SOME kind of brain damage, etc... Some large number of cells were thought to die off every DAY! It is how you can use what is left that counts. Luckily, AS "sufferers" can do that pretty well, even if social skills ARE sacrificed.

BTW you HAVE heard of the over 40 father bit. It was EVEN reported HERE! Did you ALSO hear the next days report saying they found an increased incidence because of ENVIRONMENT changes around 1955? Probably not! I wish I could remember what those changes were, but they just brushed by them and I was occupied elsewhere.

It is IRONIC that they have made it easier for a women to have a kid at 60, and yet they are trying to SCARE people out of having a kid if the father is over 40! INCREDIBLE! A father of 40 is ******FAR******* less likely to hurt the child than a mother of 60! I don't care WHERE the egg comes from.

GEE, LONG before I was born, miners had canaries and oil lamps. They would warn of noxious gasses or low oxygen. I KNOW some people didn't want to believe I was as smart as that canary, but couldn't they at least CHECK!?!? I should have written a letter to a particle board manufacturer just so I could be a MILLIONARE with them paying me my due!

BTW I said the SAME about cigarettes, and marijuana! With THEM, it was at least a COUPLE decades before I was proven RIGHT, yet again.

Steve

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 10:23 am

Stevo_the_Human wrote:
I constantly feel like anything that says "a link to autism and (x disorder or disease) is complete bull****. Look at the mercury-containing vaccienes.

It does not mean they are a cause and effect situation just maybe by chance the
same narrow location of genes may control both vision problems and above average
intelligence. Oh an I never mentioned autism. There is a spectrum of autism and maybe
a factor seperating that spectrum is intelligence. If high functioning autisic person are more likely nearsighted than low functioning that would be a clear relationship.
(thats I have no idea if it is true). Our it could be that autisic are slightly more likely
to have nearsightness than non-autisics. Thats the kind of thing scientist get excited about. Oh nearsightness is very common so its more complex than simply you got glasses or not. It depends on how bad the the nearsightedness is.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 9:42 pm

It's because intelligent ppl tend to read allot and that causes near-sightedness.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 9:46 pm

Zeeky boogy doog!

I'm nearsighted.

Zeeky boogy doog!

Musical_Lottie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 9:53 pm

Yup, myopic to the tune of -4.25 and -2.50.

It would be interesting if a scientific study were to be done on this.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 9:57 pm

I have severe nearsightedness, I can't see anything further than a few inches in front of me :(. My prescription is -7 and -6.75 although both eyes are really at -7.

walk-in-the-rain
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 10:17 pm

Very nearsighted also - at one time my lenses were around -10.25 but that was really way too much correction. I couldn't read for close and was not interested in bifocals when I was around 20. My prescription is more comfortable around about -8.50 (not sure of the exact #'s). I also had cylinders in my lenses one time - not sure what that was for.