Page 3 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 1:05 pm

That and I can't remember ever meeting a Christian who said "You know, I'd so much rather believe there wasn't a God and believe in no life hereafter but I just can't find the evidence".

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

TheOddGoat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 3:16 pm

The argument is kind of broken.

You can have a religion and be an atheist.

You can have no religion and be a theist.

NeantHumain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 9:54 pm

Fnord wrote:
He claims that Religion offers consolation, ritual, spirituality that atheists can adopt; and that Religions have been the most successful educational movements.

I can't fathom how religion would offer consolation to atheists. If one disbelieves a religion's tenets, what use is it to a hear a priest say, "There, there, things will be better in the great hereafter." And of what use is "ritual" to me if I don't follow the line of magical thinking that gives the behavior its spiritual effects? I'd rather not spend my Sunday morning taking the Eucharist because the ritual might be "consoling, subtle or just charming." It's none of those to me—just a waste of time for hollow ritual.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 9:59 pm

TheOddGoat wrote:
You can have a religion and be an atheist.

Buddhism.

TheOddGoat wrote:
You can have no religion and be a theist.

Fnordism.