Keeping interest in a romantic relationship...

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 1:36 pm

I was reading that many aspies tend to "obsess" over someone that they are in a romantic relationship with, then sort of lose interest in them, which is heartbreaking for all involved. Is there any truth to this? It seems like something I might do...is there any way to curtail this and/or keep it from happening? I have yet to be in any type of romantic relationship, but I hope to marry eventually, so any advice would be appreciated!!
Louisa

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 2:01 pm

I dunno if I can speak for everyone with AS, but I have the first part, at least. I obsessed over one person for four years, but I definitely didn't lose interest. Even eight months later, I still haven't really gotten over her.

MishLuvsHer2Boys
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 2:36 pm

I have issues with it before and other times I have the first part and don't lose interest. It is more of a phase than anything at times.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 6:31 pm

That is the primary reason why I avoid them. I have broken alot of hearts, even when they wern't even relationships.

The fact is I wasn't really that compadable with any of them, but it is still an issue.

JayShaw
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Feb 2005, 7:35 pm

I can become obsessive about a person, but I have yet to lose interest in a mate or potential mate unless I find out that she has lost interest in me first.

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 10:33 pm

Thank you for your input. I think I will see what I can read and such on this topic. I do not think I will have no problem becoming obsessed with someone who is interested in me, in fact, I think I may do that too easily. Most of my obsessions fade after a month or so(I think everyones' lasts different lengths of time?) Personally I think I'd make a very good partner to someone that I was obsessed with, just so long as I stayed obsessed with them LOL!!
Louisa

alex
Developer
Developer

22 Feb 2005, 10:50 pm

Mockingbird wrote:
Thank you for your input. I think I will see what I can read and such on this topic. I do not think I will have no problem becoming obsessed with someone who is interested in me, in fact, I think I may do that too easily. Most of my obsessions fade after a month or so(I think everyones' lasts different lengths of time?) Personally I think I'd make a very good partner to someone that I was obsessed with, just so long as I stayed obsessed with them LOL!!
Louisa

I agree.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2005, 11:28 pm

Any woman that I try to get involved with I end up becoming very interested in them. Its similar to how I try to find out every detail of some other subject I am interested in.

If an Aspie treats a romantic relationship like anything else, then I could see how they lose interest. But a relationship should be approached a bit differiently then your common "obsession" For me I generally lose interest in something as I reach the upper limits of possible knowledge on the subject. So if I am trying to understand a complex woman with varied and interesting thoughts/likes/interests I doubt I could even begin to understand everything about her.

Of course this all hinges on the other person not thinking the deep understanding is weird. :D

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2005, 8:30 am

You make a very good point, Pugly. The article I read was written by a NT, so I should probably find out the AS side of things before I panic next time LOL!!
Louisa

AnarChrist
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jan 2013, 6:13 pm

I met a girl in the second semester of 6th grade, and I was like...I love this person beyond all I have before, and although my active feelings for her have ended, hell, I haven't spoken/contacted her in at least 3 months. But I had passive feelings for her nearly 24/7 since first speaking to her. If you develop passive feelings as well, work on those and work torward the goal of a deeply obsessive(but "physically" spacious) relationship. The reason most f*ck up in relationships now in America is that they expect the other to have already built the LEGO set. A true lover, in my opinion/belief, will actually help build the LEGO set.

MrEGuy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jan 2013, 7:23 pm

I never really heard the stereotype the AP mentioned, but it fits my experience to a T. I tend to invest a lot of time in figuring someone out. Once I have them figured out, they're just one more person to me.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 12:34 am

MrEGuy wrote:
Once I have them figured out, they're just one more person to me.

Maybe this is it for me. There is an intricacy I find in some people that I seem to want to puzzle out. It' s separate from what I look for in a relationship, which is less mystery and more stability. Of course most people seem so foreign to me, but they seem to relish drama and casual disregard for each other.

MCalavera
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 12:47 am

My problem isn't in not being able to keep interest, but in the possibility that I just couldn't be able to maintain a relationship for so long. Unless the other person was willing to do some of the work for me to keep things going.

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 3:21 am

I was obsessing over a girl when I was 14 from swimming... for 4 years.. Then one day it just stopped. I was so relieved... and then the next month my friend came over to tell me she is interested in me... F......... 8O

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2013, 6:12 am

wow.... what a necro-thread!! !! look at JayShaw's title!! !