Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 10:24 am

Hi,
I have been working on myself and learning to be respectful to others by learning not to blow up. Sometimes though, I have one of those nights where I keep running into a type people who just irritate me to the point that I yell at them.

For instance, I got annoyed at two people last night who worked in the food industry yesterday

1-The first was over a subway and the 3.99 of the day by saying that I wanted a turkey sandwhich no ham but extra turkey instead. The sandwich maker immediately told me that there was no such thing and it had to be ham and turkey. I immediately got upset and said, I said "That it was against my religion and that I could not eat ham because it was a no no for that religious diet." He immediately gritted his teeth and was really intimidated.

2-I was walking in a mall last night over by the food court and use usually get free samples at various places. This place though was handing out samples and I was ready to eat and they were a dollar each. I almost threw them on their floor but put them on the counter and walked away. They were like, "Do you want them?" I looked at them and said, "I don't want your f&^%$*ing samples for a f^&%$ing dollar.

I normally don't talk like that but that set me off.

JNathanK
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 1:55 pm

lol, I worked at Subway and almost threw a sandwich at someone, but I didn't, because I knew I could get assault charges after thinking about it very briefly. Just hang in there.

Haha, and I thought the point of samples was to offer them for free to draw a new customer base.

Crack dealers do this all the time, because their stuff is so good and addictive that they know that anybody who tries it will come back for more. If they have to charge a dollar, it probably isn't that good. If it is, they're cheap skates that are gonna just lose more money than if they offered it for free in the first place.

The employees don't set the prices though, so don't get mad at them. This is why I almost threw a sandwich at some stupid customer, because she cussed me out on the price after I had finished making the sandwich for her. I took it as disrespectful. If you threw it on the floor, it could have caused a chain reaction of events that would have just f****d up the persons day that was giving out the samples. You probably f****d it up enough just by cursing at them.

I can understand why there'd be a subconscious tendency to want to chew someone out at their job. Because it was happening to you at your subway job from other customers (who in their jobs were probably getting chewed out by rude customers and wanted to chew someone else out), you probably felt more compelled to go off on someone else at their job than you otherwise would have if you were treated more politely.

Karma can be a vicious b***h when one of these social feedback cycles start rolling, and its best not to perpetuate it where your part in it is concerned. Who knows, this may be the true source of all wars, genocides, and killing sprees in history. I think, a lot of times, people project the anger accumulated from daily life into political conflicts. They wanna go off on all the foreigners or opposition political figures their government and media tells them to hate, because they're just venting anger because of how they were shorted by family members, friends, and random people they encounter at their jobs. I think the best tactic is to keep a cool head, because they'll only look ridiculous in contrast to your level headedness. I like dishing out appropriate, non-chalant, profanity-free sarcasm too, because of how it has the ability to drive in the point of what an ass they're being. If they're thick headed and don't get it, f**k them anyway. Better they be out of my hair sooner than later.

One time I said "Hey could you get this guy", not meaning anything disrespectful by it, and he responded, "excuse me, I'm not a guy........I'm a customer". I had to bite my tongue so hard, because I wanted to say "so you're a chick?" during his dramatic pause. This is the kind of sarcasm that can bite you in the ass, so I refrained, even though it would have been a good burn.

Looneytunes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Feb 2012, 3:22 pm

When I lived in Mooresville NC the people there had a saying -
Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

You can't fix stupid!

When a person is trained to do things a certain way and you ask them to do it differently - it ruins their day just as much as it ruined yours.

If they want to put extra turkey on your sandwich -0k, if they do not, there is nothing there forcing you to buy their product.
Walk out the door and don't go back.

I don't have that problem because I am a large person and they do not want to get into a altercation with me.

eigerpere
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Feb 2012, 3:31 pm

I don't understand how those things could be that upsetting quite honestly.

Mithos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 5:07 pm

eigerpere wrote:
I don't understand how those things could be that upsetting quite honestly.
I'm going to have to agree with you on this one. I could understand if you were having a bad day in the first place, but. Out of the bleu? *Shrug*

Your Aspie score: 128 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 72 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2012, 11:26 am

One time I said "Hey could you get this guy", not meaning anything disrespectful by it, and he responded, "excuse me, I'm not a guy........I'm a customer". I had to bite my tongue so hard, because I wanted to say "so you're a chick?" during his dramatic pause. This is the kind of sarcasm that can bite you in the ass, so I refrained, even though it would have been a good burn.[/quote]

You were not saying anything that bad. The other person sounds like they were being condescending. As for saying, "Get this guy," I see it all the time and no one gets angry good grief.

Mithos, I did had a bad day in the first place and was doing my best to feel better. However, the guy at the subway shop had been putting up a snobby attitude with me about the sandwhich. "Well I'm sorry but that's unrealistic, you have to have the ham"

That's when I said that I could not have the ham because it was a big NO NO for me because of religious laws. I am serious, I can't eat ham.

You were right though, I didn't need to yell at either one. Instead I could have said, "Thanks for your time but I am going to pass then." I will also not be going to either place again as both places touched my buttons and they were not worth it.