Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ChangelingGirl
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2012, 2:58 pm

I can't remember whether I already starte da topic on this a few months ago or not, and I couldn't find it, so here is it (again). Does anyone else here have a dissociative disorder, like DID/MPD, dissociative disorder NOS, dissociative amnesia, or depersoanlization disorder? I was diagnosed with DID in late 2010, although I think personally that I'm DDNOS. I may get re-evaluated sometime this year, and in such re-evaluatiosn, they don't do DID diagnoses because they want you in treatment before they diagnose DID, so my diagnosis may change anyway. I basically don't care what it's called.

Anyway, some people on a Dutch DID forum tell me autism an d DID cannot co-occur because autism is so pervasive that autistics are unablet o split. This is one of the reasons I'm not being believed on that forum, which sucks. Basically hardly anyone in the Dutch DID scene believes me, which sucks.

Anyway, any Aspies with comorbid dissociation? How do you deal with it? Let's share our stories.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 8:13 pm

I don't know what you think about Donna Williams, but she has been diagnosed with both autism and DID.

I've been told I dissociate, but it's nowhere extreme enough to be DID, or qualify for any sort of diagnosis.

Do you know what their reasoning is behind "autistics can't split"? It's not like people with autism lack a personality, and repeated trauma (which almost always happens before/while DID develops) can happen to anyone. If anything, people with autism probably get bullied and teased more. What exactly is it that would prevent someone with autism from splitting? I'd be interested to know.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

Teasaidh
Raven
Raven

28 Jun 2013, 9:44 pm

I was diagnosed with DID/MPD in 2002 along with several other disorders. Most of them overlap quite extensively with aspergers/HFA, and my cluster of issues don't fit well within most of them. It's more like I have one or two aspects of a disorder, so that's what they assumed I had. I am worried because I am trying to find a provider to evaluate me for an official diagnosis, but I feel like all they focus on is my past diagnoses.

accomplishment.?
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jun 2013, 11:19 pm

I've been told the same thing about people with autism are unable to get schizophrenia which is illogical to think.
Any set of disorders can co-occur. Saying they can't is saying that a person like that is not possible which is ridiculous because any type of person is very possible. Saying everyone with the same diagnosis is the same is stupid as well.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2013, 10:58 am

Quote:
Anyway, any Aspies with comorbid dissociation? How do you deal with it? Let's share our stories.

I'm autistic with PTSD and dissociative tendencies. They definitely can co-occur. In fact, I suspect autistics might be more prone to dissociation than NTs.

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2013, 6:50 pm

I am autistic and DDNos or DID.
It is not officially diagnosed (DDNos or DID), but inofficially, because I do not need it to be officially diagnosed (I am already on disability and have access to therapy).
Autism is diagnosed 3 times.
And different parts have different level of functioning and different special interests, but being in "one special intrest or functioning level" I do not have access (memory- or "emotional"-wise) to the other parts.
Being autistic and childhood abuse.
Guess I would somehow be more high-functioning without DDNos/DID (average low mediocre severity functioning).
Read, that autistic people can drive a car, have master-degrees, work, children, live independantly etc, but I cannot.

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

Inspirations
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

01 Jul 2013, 10:15 pm

I've had a few instances of splitting and one eventual blacking out. I have a man living inside my brain and it can often get really noisy in my head at bedtime, when I start to try to sleep I sometimes have noisy conversations inside my head which I'm not involved in and I sometimes think wtf at what they are saying and the other voices talking is outside of my head and right by my ear and is the voices of my family.

It's all very confusing.