Page 1 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 9:01 am

I thought I did well at the switching task, but here are my scores, which are pretty bad:
Switching Between Letters and Numbers: 1607
Repeating the same task: 1179
Additional Time for switching: 429
But I got them all right, that must count for something.

I scored really well on the distraction test (100% for both). I found it really easy, because I could still see an image of the red rods in my mind and was able to match (or not) against the 2nd picture.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Mar 2012, 1:34 pm

Here are some excerpts about those tests:

Quote:
In each of their tests, the researchers split their subjects into two groups: those who regularly do a lot of media multitasking (high multitasking) and those who don't(low multitasking).

Quote:
First, they had to remember the briefly glimpsed orientations of red rectangles surrounded by different numbers of blue rectangles.
These are all very standard tasks in psychology,” said Nass. “In the first, there’s lots of evidence that if people do poorly, they have trouble ignoring irrelevant information.

Quote:
If the heavy multitaskers couldn't filter out irrelevant information or organize their memories, perhaps they excelled at switching from one thing to another faster and better than anyone else.
The test subjects were shown images of letters and numbers at the same time and instructed what to focus on. When they were told to pay attention to numbers, they had to determine if the digits were even or odd. When told to concentrate on letters, they had to say whether they were vowels or consonants.
Again, the heavy multitaskers underperformed the light multitaskers.

About high multitaskers (who perform bad in the two tests):
Quote:
"When they're in situations where there are multiple sources of information coming from the external world or emerging out of memory, they're not able to filter out what's not relevant to their current goal," said Wagner, an associate professor of psychology. "That failure to filter means they're slowed down by that irrelevant information."

Sources: 1, 2

Out of this information I would conclude that it would not be unusual to perform with 100% easily on the focus test while answering the first switching test slowly. If focusing on something is easy it may require some time or may get you stuck on it which could be a reason for slow answers.
While high multitaskers answer slowly because they can't concentrate well (get easily distracted), rather than because they do concentrate well and quickly.

proxybear
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2012, 6:21 pm

Aditional switch time 7 ms.

Is this really low or something? A friend who is also an aspie got 3481.

Last edited by proxybear on 03 Mar 2012, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2012, 6:30 pm

I did better than low and high multitaskers on switching test, in the 800s ms for both switching and repeating. Repeating was slightly slower than switching. 100% for focus test.

In real life, don't like to multi-task, but can do it for certain combinations of activities, e.g. cooking several things at the same time, doing several lab experiments at the same time. But not for others, e.g. talking to someone while driving, will fark up.

ReBabar
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Mar 2012, 10:36 am

These are screens of my results, I don't exactly understand the results in the first picture :oops: can anyone explain them to me please?

proxybear
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

03 Mar 2012, 11:29 am

The more MS you've got the worse you did. The ones who spend more time one the tasks tend to be good at multitasking and vica versa.

If you look at my results you'll notice that my performance is much better, and is slightly below (better) low multitasker results. Which means that I am probably bad at multitasking, while yours means the exact opposite.

The focus one is similar in how the results work, but I cannot fathom how anyone would get anything wrong on that test seeing as it was extremely easy.

ReBabar

03 Mar 2012, 12:19 pm

Thanks for the explanation :)

arko5
Raven
Raven

03 Mar 2012, 12:31 pm

Just tried the second task and got 92% in both conditions, although it looks like the general performance is too high (i.e. task to easy) to draw any meaningful conclusions from it. Might be harder if they changed the spatial location of the red bars as well as possibly rotating them, sometimes I could just tell something had changed without being explicitly able to say which had rotated.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2012, 12:54 pm

I'm sorry. I'm not understanding how to read the graph because I'm really stupid about that kind of thing. My bar came up much higher than both of the other groups for switching and repeating, and lower than both for speed. I initially thought that meant I did better in task switching and repeating, and worse in speed. That would make sense, as my processing speed and reaction time tends to be pathologically low. I don't drive partially for that reason. However, when I read more about it -- it sound like I have it backwards -- the higher the bar, the worse the performance -- is that right? That would mean my timing was good and everything else was atrocious. It's weird, though. I got nothing incorrect, but hesitated at times in order to process the information I needed to arrive at a correct response. Thuse the "lower/ better" thing doesn't seem to make sense for me, but the more I think about it, that's what the results seem to mean.
I'm completely lost and confused now, which is honeslty pretty typical for me.
ETA: On the task with the rectangles, I scored 100% when there were two distractions, and 92% when there were six distractions. My visual processing skills are abyssmal. That's one way I'm not like other aspies. I seem to have all of the impairments assiciated with being an aspie, and none of the strengths. :?
My visual-spatial LD really showed itself with these tasks.

OuterBoroughGirl
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2012, 1:15 pm

proxybear wrote:
The focus one is similar in how the results work, but I cannot fathom how anyone would get anything wrong on that test seeing as it was extremely easy.

I got 92% when there were 6 distractions. :P I think I'm the only one here who didn't get 100% on both tasks. Wow, I really am severely impaired. 8O The problem is, the image would flash off so quickly, and I couldn't always make sense of what I was seeing that quickly. I also tend to need to blink far more often than other humans, and I would sometimes blink and miss one of the images completely. I'm going to take that test again, because I'm feeling exceptionally dumb and defective right now.

ETA: Agh, I did even worse. :( I really am very imapied. The trouble is, I have really poor spatial recall and working memory, and I couldn't always remember how the rectangles were positioned a second ago. Wow, apparently I'm really severely impaired. The sad thing is, I've been doing this online brain training program for the past hundred days, training every day. There has been improvement, and my overall percentile rank relative to others my age is 68%. My highest score is in problem solving, currently at 87%, and my lowest is in attention, currently at 38%. I thought my cognitive function was getting better, but apparently not. Apparently, I'm only getting better at the lumosity exercises, but not generalizing that to other tasks. Sometimes I think that I should be in an institution, that I'm just too cognitively impaired to live and work in civilization. :cry:

Last edited by OuterBoroughGirl on 03 Mar 2012, 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Mar 2012, 1:26 pm

The white bar stands for the average results for people who often do multitasking (thus called "high multitaskers") which doesn't mean that you do a lot of multitasking (or are good at it). The grey bar stands for the average results for people who don't or barely do multitasking in their daily life which doesn not mean that you have the same behaviour(or that you are bad at multitasking).
This letters and numbers test is about testing your abilites to switch from one thing to another fast and well (in quantity and quality). If you needed more time and responded slowly this test does not explain why rather than just show you if you are good at this task or not and compares it to the results of a study concerning people who frequently multitask and those who don't.
High multitaskers perform worse at every test because they are unable to filter and are distracted by irrelevant information (remember they did worse at the two tests).
The focus test is about distraction and concentration. Can you filter out irrelevant information? "High multitaskers" are bad at filtering and concentration on the relevant (they don't score 100%).

So those tests don't show you the cause and no explanation about your results. They only compare your results with results from their study.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 1:34 pm

Multi task switching 2392ms repeating 2495, I was actually worse On repeated tasks. I was -102ms negative on switching.

I kind of screwed up the multitasking test, I didn't read the instructions properly so i was focusing on the red AND blue. It want till half way through the test I realised they never answered any questions.. The first result was vastly superior on simple , and in line with single tasters on multiple.

When repeated understanding the test it was 100% and 92%, that was pretty easy.

Jason

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 5:02 pm

How is this multitasking? This aren't tested for how well you multi-task, only tests where people who multi-task a lot fail.

Looking at the graphs I appear to be in the brain damaged region for speed, which means I must be an extreme multitasker. For the rectangle test, I always scored between the multi-taskers and the non-multitaskers, but I was always on the the high region, I got I identical score for high and low level of distraction. No, I cannot store a billion objects at once in my short term memory, I just only focused on the red blocks. The only reason I got some wrong is because sometimes the thing flash too fast for me to process how the rectangles were skewed.

I say this test is bollocks, but I think it does say something, namely that there may be a connection between low processing speed and ADD or something.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Last edited by Ganondox on 03 Mar 2012, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Mar 2012, 5:18 pm

I don't understand my results. Am I low or high :)?

The second (focus) one was just super easy for me:

Last edited by 65536 on 03 Mar 2012, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2012, 5:25 pm

Mayel wrote:
Here are some excerpts about those tests:
Quote:
In each of their tests, the researchers split their subjects into two groups: those who regularly do a lot of media multitasking (high multitasking) and those who don't(low multitasking).

Quote:
First, they had to remember the briefly glimpsed orientations of red rectangles surrounded by different numbers of blue rectangles.
These are all very standard tasks in psychology,” said Nass. “In the first, there’s lots of evidence that if people do poorly, they have trouble ignoring irrelevant information.

Quote:
If the heavy multitaskers couldn't filter out irrelevant information or organize their memories, perhaps they excelled at switching from one thing to another faster and better than anyone else.
The test subjects were shown images of letters and numbers at the same time and instructed what to focus on. When they were told to pay attention to numbers, they had to determine if the digits were even or odd. When told to concentrate on letters, they had to say whether they were vowels or consonants.
Again, the heavy multitaskers underperformed the light multitaskers.

About high multitaskers (who perform bad in the two tests):
Quote:
"When they're in situations where there are multiple sources of information coming from the external world or emerging out of memory, they're not able to filter out what's not relevant to their current goal," said Wagner, an associate professor of psychology. "That failure to filter means they're slowed down by that irrelevant information."

Sources: 1, 2

Out of this information I would conclude that it would not be unusual to perform with 100% easily on the focus test while answering the first switching test slowly. If focusing on something is easy it may require some time or may get you stuck on it which could be a reason for slow answers.
While high multitaskers answer slowly because they can't concentrate well (get easily distracted), rather than because they do concentrate well and quickly.

Ok, I've lost all respect for Stanford.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 1:01 am

On the first test I got off the charts bad. Something like 5000 ms. Shockingly bad. I got most right but not all. I just couldn't process it right. I am NOT a multitasker at all. The number/ letter flashing is too quick and most of the time I missed it and also guessed. My short term memory is horrible. On the second test on both versions of distractions I got the same number. Only 83% correct. That is far worse than anyone on here but it was the easier test for me.