Az29
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2012, 5:34 am

Multitasking test;

Switching between letters and numbers:My Performance 1942
Repeating the same task: My Performance 2664
Additional time for switching: My Performance -723

It made my head hurt and I got into a bit of a flap about it because the letter or number instruction flashed up so fast and I wasn't sure which one I'd just seen and had to guess on some of them. I had a few that I took longer on because it took me a few extra seconds to process what I was supposed to do. No idea what my results mean, very confusing test.

Focus test;

83% correct with 2 distractions
100% on 8 distractions

That test was much easier because I just focused on the red and retained the image in my mind until the next one flashed up and I could compare. I did find the 2 blue shapes more of a distraction then the 6 because it was easier to focus on the red when there were fewer of them then the blue if that makes sense?

The task switching test razoreddie linked;

Emotion - 2015ms
Gender - 2135ms
Switching - 78ms

It was very easy because there were only two faces and they both had the same emotion so all I had to remember was female sad, male happy. Give myself a few seconds to process which it was asking for and press the right button.

Last edited by Az29 on 08 Mar 2012, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ddddd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Mar 2012, 5:46 am

There's also this brain test on Lumosity.com, just play a couple of games on their site and then click on 'brain profile'. The site then compares you to the other members and says how good you are on a certain field (speed, memory, attention, flexibility (multitasking) and problem solving) in comparison with the other members. I'm really addicted to it. :D

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 12:36 am

Emotions: 1004 ms
Switching: 335 ms

For the final test, I got a lot wrong because I got confused. On the first 2 I got more of them correct. At least these results are better than the multitasking test.

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 3:25 am

Sometimes the Number and Letter switched faster than I can read what they wanted, so I would guess. lol.

My numbers

Switching: 2833 milliseconds

Repeating: 3342 milliseconds

Additional time: -509 milliseconds

My focus test

100% for 2 distractions

92% for 6 distractions

A score of 1.67

The other test

took an average of 1072ms to identify a face's gender.

You took an average of 1315ms to identify the emotion on a face

You also took 250ms longer to respond when you had to switch from doing emotions to doing gender and vice versa.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 5:42 am

Why do they say that "high" multitaskers take longer than "low" multitaskers to switch tasks? I'm assuming that a high multitasker is somebody who is skilled at multitasking and so should be able to do it quickly. I'm sure one of the AQ test questions was "does it take you a long time to get back to what you were doing if you are interrupted?"

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 7:51 am

I got a really high (bad) score, which isn't surprising, but I really didn't find THIS task all that difficult. I scored badly, because I just am slow to analyze conditions. But I didn't take an extreme amount of time for ME. What would have made this test TERRIBLE for me? If I had been FORCED to use the right/left arrows instead of getting to use my mouse (I have NVLD and great difficulty judging my right from my left) and/or had they SWITCHED the placement of the answers. "Odd/vowel" was ALWAYS on the left. "Even/consonant" was ALWAYS on the right. I am absolutely abysmal at tests where they mix up your selections, where the choices can move to different parts of the screen, or if they had made "odd" be paired with "consonant" sometimes.

Edit: I just did the test with the red/blue rectangles. That was an absolute breeze. I got 100% correct, and my performance was off the charts. I have high processing speed in general, especially with visual stimuli, so I am not at all surprised that I did very well on this task. As for SWITCHING tasks and MULTI-tasking, I do horribly on that. My performance on these two tests pretty much screams AS... It also says something about Aspies' neurological processing. We tend to score really low on the juggling tasks activity, worse than the "high multi-taskers." But we tend to score above and beyond the "low multi-taskers" on the distraction/rectangle task. So, the conclusions made from this study don't even apply to us as a group.

Nash: Is there a difference?

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Mar 2012, 9:18 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
Why do they say that "high" multitaskers take longer than "low" multitaskers to switch tasks? I'm assuming that a high multitasker is somebody who is skilled at multitasking and so should be able to do it quickly. I'm sure one of the AQ test questions was "does it take you a long time to get back to what you were doing if you are interrupted?"

High multitaskers in this test refers to people who frequently do many things at a time that is to say they "multitask". Which doesn't mean that they are good at some things, this study contends that high multitaskers are easily distractable and are bad at focusing and filtering information. That's why they take longer because they get distracted or don't have a good organizational memory.
High multitaskers may do many things but quality gets lost along the way.

This test doesn't explain anything about you, it just compares your results with those of their study.
OddDuckNash99 wrote:
We tend to score really low on the juggling tasks activity, worse than the "high multi-taskers." But we tend to score above and beyond the "low multi-taskers" on the distraction/rectangle task. So, the conclusions made from this study don't even apply to us as a group.

That's probably true. Causes for those kind of scores may be different.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2012, 9:29 am

Mayel wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

High multitaskers in this test refers to people who frequently do many things at a time that is to say they "multitask". Which doesn't mean that they are good at some things, this study contends that high multitaskers are easily distractable and are bad at focusing and filtering information. That's why they take longer because they get distracted or don't have a good organizational memory.
High multitaskers may do many things but quality gets lost along the way.

Thanks. I'd have expected people who multi-task a lot to become better at it. I think it's one of those things where their way of thinking about it is so different to mine that I can't map it onto what I already know. Rigid thinking I guess. :(

Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Mar 2012, 3:49 pm

I'm quite fast:

Response time in Gender block: 1345 (here I analyzed the word under the face, so it slowed me down a little)
Response time in Emotions block: 627 (here I stopped paying attention to the word under the face)

The telephone rang just before I finished my multitasking session, so my score could be affected:
Response time for Emotions just after switch: 972.545454545454
Response time for Emotions not after switch: 1146.81818181818
Response time for Gender just after switch: 1149
Response time for Gender not after switch: 939.846153846154

Overall
Cost of switching: 17
Impulsiveness score (based on questionnaire): 63

This test wasn't too hard for me, I needed only a small part of face to identify it (there were only two faces).

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 7:47 pm

Switching - 2034 ms (hover over your bar for the exact number)
Repeating - 1331 ms
Additional time for switching - 703 ms

with the colored rectangles one I got 1.67 with 2 distracters and a perfect 2 with 6 distracters.

Faces test:
Response time in Emotions block - 549
Response time in Gender block - 597
Response time for Emotions just after switch 1082.84615384615
Response time for Emotions not after switch 1011.14285714286
Response time for Gender just after switch 1246.8
Response time for Gender not after switch 1092.2
Cost of switching 113
Impulsiveness score (based on questionnaire) 79

Oh, and the faces test page has some other cognitive tests too. Here are my results on one:

Forecasting - 605 (I'm in the top 20%, probably my experience with research stats gives me an advantage)