Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

FireBird
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 1:01 am

On the first test I got off the charts bad. Something like 5000 ms. Shockingly bad. I got most right but not all. I just couldn't process it right. I am NOT a multitasker at all. The number/ letter flashing is too quick and most of the time I missed it and also guessed. My short term memory is horrible. On the second test on both versions of distractions I got the same number. Only 83% correct. That is far worse than anyone on here but it was the easier test for me.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 2:48 am

Ganondox wrote:
How is this multitasking? This aren't tested for how well you multi-task, only tests where people who multi-task a lot fail.

If the test shows a marked difference between two types of NTs then it is valid. However it was not designed to handle autistic ways of thinking.
Quote:
Looking at the graphs I appear to be in the brain damaged region for speed, which means I must be an extreme multitasker.

Not really. It means your cognitive processing is slower than most people. From what I can see, the difference between the two scores is more important then the absolute values of the scores. Again if like me your brain processes each task completely separately then you will get an unusual score. I think this comes down to the autistic tendency to focus on details. An NT would see the whole test as one task while many of us see each part as a completely independent task.
Quote:
I got I identical score for high and low level of distraction. No, I cannot store a billion objects at once in my short term memory, I just only focused on the red blocks.

Again I think that comes down to focusing on details, something that we tend to be very good at.
Quote:
The only reason I got some wrong is because sometimes the thing flash too fast for me to process how the rectangles were skewed.

Tell me about it. They were on the very limit of what I could handle.

Ddddd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Mar 2012, 4:03 am

I thought I did well but I got 2846 (switching)/3225 (repeating) milliseconds.
The second time I tried I got 2630 (switching) and 1710 (repeating).
So what does this test say? Am I good or bad in multitasking?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

04 Mar 2012, 9:32 am

OuterBoroughGirl wrote:
proxybear wrote:
The focus one is similar in how the results work, but I cannot fathom how anyone would get anything wrong on that test seeing as it was extremely easy.

I got 92% when there were 6 distractions. :P I think I'm the only one here who didn't get 100% on both tasks. Wow, I really am severely impaired. 8O The problem is, the image would flash off so quickly, and I couldn't always make sense of what I was seeing that quickly. I also tend to need to blink far more often than other humans, and I would sometimes blink and miss one of the images completely. I'm going to take that test again, because I'm feeling exceptionally dumb and defective right now.

I got 100% with two distractions and scored higher than multitaskers.

I got 84% when there were six distractions and scored lower than both kinds of multitaskers.

So you're not the only one.

I got all the letter/number answers correct, but my task switching was nearly half a second (426 ms) and while I can't remember what my scores were on the other two elements, but they were worse than high and low multitaskers.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 6:52 pm

Did anyone else get a negative figure for task switching? I found that really odd.

Jason.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 6:57 pm

Jtuk wrote:
Did anyone else get a negative figure for task switching? I found that really odd.

Jason.

Yep. I also found it odd. I didn't expect to on average have a lower time "switching tasks" than repeating the same one.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 5:44 pm

Here's another task switching test. It is probably particularly difficult for Aspies as it depends on recognizing faces. Interestingly I had a noticeable delay in switching between tasks in this test while I had virtually none in the other test.
Emotion 1007ms
Gender 1018ms
Switching took 527ms.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 6:01 pm

RazorEddie wrote:
Here's another task switching test. It is probably particularly difficult for Aspies as it depends on recognizing faces. Interestingly I had a noticeable delay in switching between tasks in this test while I had virtually none in the other test.
Emotion 1007ms
Gender 1018ms
Switching took 527ms.

I got slower times for emotion and gender than average.
Emotion 821 vs. 623 (average)
Gender 798 vs. 582 (average)
Switching 69 vs. ? (I forgot the average)

Eloa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 7:06 pm

Driving a car is being able to multitask on a high level, I guess.
How can anyone with autism be able to do it then or does it more apply to ADD (not being able to)?
High distraction means being good at multitasking or is it the other way around?
I somehow cannot display these tests on my PC, so I don't know.
Sorry, I am confused :oops:

English is not my native language, so I will very likely do mistakes in writing or understanding. My edits are due to corrections of mistakes, which I sometimes recognize just after submitting a text.

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 7:34 pm

Cogs wrote:
I found that multitasking really hard...and scored terribly.

Yup. I was very confused. ^^

RazorEddie wrote:
Emotion 1007ms
Gender 1018ms
Switching took 527ms.

"You seem to be quicker at working out whether a face is male or female than what emotion it is showing. Most people are like this. After the next stage, you'll be able to see how you compare to the rest of the UK and other people."

"In this part of the experiment, you took an average of 1253ms to identify the emotion on the face, and 1276ms to identify the gender of the face. But you were no slower when you had to switch from doing emotions to doing gender and vice versa than when you didn't have to. This means your frontal lobes must be working particularly well today!"
Interesting.

It says I am "slower than average". More like "It took you twice as long". ^^

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 7:41 pm

goodwitchy wrote:
Very interesting.
That was a difficult test for me (very confusing, and I was very slow responding), but oddly, the test after that one - Test Your Focus, with colored rectangles, was easy:
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2010 ... -demo.html

But I'm not a multitasker. :?

With 2 distractions, I got the same score as "high multitaskers". 6 distractions though meant that I was slightly worse than high multitaskers.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2012, 9:30 pm

On the multi-tasking test, I was slower than both "high" and "low" multi-taskers, but I had a negative value for the "switching" variable...weird?

On the distractions test, I scored 100% on both.

I don't understand these tests....what does "high" and "low" mean re: multi-tasking?

Love transcends all.

Inspirations
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2012, 4:42 am

On the multitasking test

Switching between letters and numbers:My Performance 2928
Repeating the same task: My Performance 3032
Additional time for switching: My Performance -104

I got one incorrect.

I don't really understand what it all means, I find mathematical thinking very difficult.

Inspirations
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2012, 4:48 am

On the Focus test I got 100% correct on both conditions. I felt I was focusing more on the blue and noticing the red from an angle on my vision.

Inspirations
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Mar 2012, 5:12 am

RazorEddie wrote:
Emotion 1007ms
Gender 1018ms
Switching took 527ms.

I got Emotion 1521 ms
Gender 1616 ms
Switching took 410 ms

Once I knew the faces, I just noticed the mouths and reacted from that

Az29
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2012, 5:34 am

Multitasking test;

Switching between letters and numbers:My Performance 1942
Repeating the same task: My Performance 2664
Additional time for switching: My Performance -723

It made my head hurt and I got into a bit of a flap about it because the letter or number instruction flashed up so fast and I wasn't sure which one I'd just seen and had to guess on some of them. I had a few that I took longer on because it took me a few extra seconds to process what I was supposed to do. No idea what my results mean, very confusing test.

Focus test;

83% correct with 2 distractions
100% on 8 distractions

That test was much easier because I just focused on the red and retained the image in my mind until the next one flashed up and I could compare. I did find the 2 blue shapes more of a distraction then the 6 because it was easier to focus on the red when there were fewer of them then the blue if that makes sense?

The task switching test razoreddie linked;

Emotion - 2015ms
Gender - 2135ms
Switching - 78ms

It was very easy because there were only two faces and they both had the same emotion so all I had to remember was female sad, male happy. Give myself a few seconds to process which it was asking for and press the right button.

Last edited by Az29 on 08 Mar 2012, 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.