Page 5 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

DreamyRocky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2012, 7:22 am

I have ADHD-PI and I have mental conversations with myself when I feel misunderstood. Internal monologue usually remains hidden in the subconscious mind, but can come up consciously when in stressful situations. For people with ADHD-PI, it's as if there's always constant mind chatter and internal monologue can be quite distracting.

Edit: When I'm alone and stress out, I may rant out loud too

Last edited by DreamyRocky on 02 Apr 2012, 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 4:22 pm

I only talk to myself when I'm on my own in the house, and I make sure I'm on my own too, because I don't know why but I am so afraid of being caught talking to myself. Well, everybody often mutters the odd words to themselves, but I mean when I talk to myself I start talking loudly as though I'm on stage, and I even pace around the house ranting to myself about general life situations, and I put the world to rights.

Muzey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Aug 2012, 10:39 pm

I tend to talk to myself all the time. Mostly in terms of 'thinking outloud' concept. My sister does it too ( High Functioning Autism). I do it all the time at work. Normally I walk to fast for people to notice and my co-workers were the first to notice. I always feel like I am judged heavily on it. I don't really know what to do regarding it. But I know at least one of my managers thinks I hear voices. I don't. I have explained to this guy over and over again logically and I don't think he believes me at all. I felt so alone sense I can't stop myself from doing it. It's nice to hear about others whom do this as well. Thanks to everyone sharing there two cents on the subject. :)

Patchwork
Raven
Raven

08 Aug 2012, 6:08 am

I do this all the time. There aren't any visible signs though. I don't think you need to stop doing it, in a lot of ways it helps calm me to have prepared, and helps me to feel less anxious. Maybe go somewhere private to do it if other people are picking up on it and don't like it.

Muzey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Aug 2012, 11:04 am

I do go to private areas to do it. I mostly work the floor putting clothes away. I don't do it at the register luckily. I mostly do it in my room. It just feels nice that others do it and I am not alone on the subject.

DrPenguin
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2012, 11:15 am

I definately talk to myself, even replay conversations I've had with others back later to analyse them. Usually when alone but can annoy a boss when they tell you 'I never said that' To have every word replaid exactly with inflections.

I'm ok till I get into an argument and stop talking to myself, the voices in my head aren't good mediators. :wink: far too obsessed with clowns and carving knives :roll:

Your Aspie score: 139 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 68 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

nolan1971
Toucan
Toucan

08 Aug 2012, 11:53 am

On the positive side nowadays it's hard to tell if your on a blue tooth or talking to your self. :D

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Aug 2012, 1:55 pm

I talk to myself outloud, usually at home but also in the car. I used to drive mostly at night. I drive more during the day, my lips still move and I'm sure the people in my town must think I'm insane. A part doesn't give a s**t anymore what they think; a part of me wants to get out of here because they probably think I'm nuts haha.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 2:58 pm

I talk to myself sometimes when I'm working on something. My whole family does that. I think it's partially a sign of intelligence; being about to verbalize thoughts as they come up in real time. At least that's my theory, anyway.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2012, 4:30 pm

I talk to myself all the time. Most of the times I do it when I am alone so people don't think I am weirder than they already do. I think it is a form of mnemonic device for me as I remember things I hear easier than things I just think.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2012, 4:09 am

I don't talk to myself at all. Maybe it is because I would have to come up with the words first and I can't do that. In regular conversation I am ok, though.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2012, 9:30 am

I tend to have conversations in my head, but most of the time, I rehearse these conversations out loud as I pace around :P

One time, I was in my room and had forgotten to close the door and my mom came in somewhat silently behind me and heard me talking and said my name, so I whipped around with my eyes wide and it kind of freaked her out too. :oops: Ever since then, I've been cautious to close my door when I talk to myself.

alecazam3567
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

09 Aug 2012, 9:32 am

Another thing I want to add is that just thinking it isn't enough for me. I feel the need to physically voice these conversations and ideas. I feel like I can never organize my thoughts, so I need to write them or say them.

Matto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jan 2013, 1:13 pm

Mine is more like a tic + echolalia if anything.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jan 2013, 4:36 pm

I talk to myself in my head, constantly commenting on spontaneously arising thoughts and a lot of times those comments come out my mouth. Luckily I live with my schizophrenic mom who does the same thing so I don't feel so weird when I do it.

Daveytn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jan 2015, 5:34 pm

I find I do this alot. I will make complete conversations with myself in most situations, mostly in my head, but sometimes I will think into a situation which i have recently been throught and I will accidently start saying it out loud but not at my normal volume of speech.

I find I seem to have more conversations with myself when I am anxious?