Page 1 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 2:07 pm

I tend to plan conversations in my head since I don't know how they will turn out. Especially with professors since I don't want to make the mistake of upsetting another professor as I did in the past. I sometimes talk in my head but also move my lips and my family think this is crazy since they don't do it or understand why I do. I've heard the joke of you can talk to yourself just don't answer yourself (or something like that.) Is there anyway NOT to do this? I don't believe in just being calm and take things as they come with social situations since my brain jumps to OMG! WHAT IF YOU UPSET SOMEONE! Thanks!

StarBird
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2012, 2:34 pm

Do you notice it when you move your lips? If you're worried about your family thinking it's crazy, then you should try and make a more conscious effort to keep the conversation in your head. Or, have you tried explaining to your family why you do it?

I have conversations in my head too :)

MrXxx
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 2:38 pm

I never answer myself. I don't need to. The people in my head do. Figured that's what they were there for. :shrug: :P

I'm not likely to be around much longer. As before when I first signed up here years ago, I'm finding that after a long hiatus, and after only a few days back on here, I'm spending way too much time here again already. So I'm requesting my account be locked, banned or whatever. It's just time. Until then, well, I dunno...

Niniel
Raven
Raven

04 Mar 2012, 2:55 pm

I often have conversations in my head, to rehearse for the real thing, or replay conversations that could have gone better in my head, I am usually able to keep my lips still though. I think :lol:

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 3:00 pm

I also do. I tend not to move my lips, but I practice my body language at the same time.

Having conversations in one head is not abnormal, is it? I mean... how does one think otherwise?

StarBird
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Mar 2012, 3:42 pm

MrXxx wrote:
I never answer myself. I don't need to. The people in my head do. Figured that's what they were there for. :shrug: :P

:lmao:

Candles15
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

I always have conversations with myself :D
I usually do it when I need to make a decision about something and my personality splits in half and I argue with myself until I come to a conclusion. Other times I go in to day dreams, where I'm me and my mind is someone else and we have a conversation that I imagined in my head. It's all a bit confusing tbh
Now this is sort of weird; Talking to myself has gotten so bad, When I'm feeling down, my mind starts telling myself jokes from the past to cheer me up. Also I never look at myself as "me", I always see myself in second person.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 4:26 pm

Sometimes my mom asks who I'm talking to and I notice that she saw my lips moving in some fake conversation I'm having in my head. I always lie and say that I'm just mouthing the words I'm reading on the screen.

The "planning future conversations" thing tends to backfire since once the conversation finally comes around, my brain is assuming that the person knows everything I said in the practice conversation. It'd be nice if I could stop doing it.

Jtuk
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 6:32 pm

Quote:
The "planning future conversations" thing tends to backfire since once the conversation finally comes around, my brain is assuming that the person knows everything I said in the practice conversation. It'd be nice if I could stop doing it.

Uh oh, that explains a lot.

Thanks for that, best thing I've read all week.

Jason

Hexagon
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2012, 6:42 pm

Yes, I talk in my head. Discuss things. I've found myself to be more intriguing than most NTs.

katwithhat
Toucan
Toucan

04 Mar 2012, 6:59 pm

I seriously thought I was the only person who did this. I hate it. Going over future conversations and past ones in my head, what I should have said or what I need to say. I really hate the 'rewind' and 'start over' button, though. Makes me want to scream.

Doubutsu
Raven
Raven

04 Mar 2012, 10:24 pm

Candles15 wrote:
I always have conversations with myself :D
I usually do it when I need to make a decision about something and my personality splits in half and I argue with myself until I come to a conclusion. Other times I go in to day dreams, where I'm me and my mind is someone else and we have a conversation that I imagined in my head.

Me too, but it has become more stronger this days, today I have been pacing and day dreaming at my bedroom almost the whole day. I get good answers from that conversations, sometimes I write them down. I don't move my lips, the only problem I have is that people thing I'm staring to something or someone instead of the air.

Candles15 wrote:
Now this is sort of weird; Talking to myself has gotten so bad, When I'm feeling down, my mind starts telling myself jokes from the past to cheer me up.

I should try that.

Candles15 wrote:
Also I never look at myself as "me", I always see myself in second person.

In my mind I use to refer to me as "we" or "you" more often than "I".

enrico_dandolo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 10:43 pm

Another consequence of planning conversation is that sometimes, what I say is only mildly related to what was being said... If I already planned to say something, it would be wasteful not to say it!

skenasis
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

04 Mar 2012, 10:52 pm

I talk to myself all the time. Out loud, in fact. If I'm in public, I'll keep it to myself, but when I'm on my own, out loud it is.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 10:54 pm

Niniel wrote:
I often have conversations in my head, to rehearse for the real thing, or replay conversations that could have gone better in my head, I am usually able to keep my lips still though. I think :lol:

I do this all the time too.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2012, 10:58 pm

All the time. When I'm alone.

That's why you'd be uneasy in public. You can't be yourself. People who talk to themselves are freaks. They're laughable. So you keep quiet. Uhuh... It's this insane idea of "normal" people. There is no normal. This ideal does a lot of damage to everyone.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman