Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2012, 3:32 pm

does anybody else have a problem remembering faces?

if i see somebody once then i mostly dont recognize them again.

if i have seen somebody a few times and they change their hair i usually dont recognize them.

a good example is celebrities. even well known celebrities i find hard to recognize if they have a had a major hair change or something.

katwithhat
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2012, 3:58 pm

I ran into my family doctor at a corner store and recognized her but didn't know from where. It dawned on me and I blurted out "oh, hey, you're my doctor!". I've seen her half a dozen times in a couple of months. I think it's called 'face blindness'???

nebrets
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 3:59 pm

I have a horrible time remembering faces, I occasionally do not even recognize my parents when I am trying to find them in a room with more than 10 people in there. It can be very embarrassing. I practice the martial art of Aikido, and if someone walks into the dojo without their gi on, I cannot tell if they are a new person or if I have been practicing with them for years. I also cannot remember the faces of new people even if I have seen them for several months.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2012, 4:06 pm

nebrets wrote:
I have a horrible time remembering faces, I occasionally do not even recognize my parents when I am trying to find them in a room with more than 10 people in there. It can be very embarrassing. I practice the martial art of Aikido, and if someone walks into the dojo without their gi on, I cannot tell if they are a new person or if I have been practicing with them for years. I also cannot remember the faces of new people even if I have seen them for several months.

thats a lot more severe than me then.

i went to a party on saturday and i was there for 4 hours. it was a party for a girl from my daughters school. i go to the school every day. i didnt recognize any of the parents who were there and when i went to the school the day after i didnt recognize any of the parents there either.

im okay with common celebrities but some of the newer ones i never recognize.

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 4:47 pm

I also have a hard time with faces. Even if it's someone I know I may not recognise them if I don't expect to see them. At work if a coworker comes in abd they're not wearing their uniform I won't recognise them at first.
I also have issues with picking people out in a crowd.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

Taybot97
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Mar 2012, 4:55 pm

I remember names really well. I can't describe what somebody looks like though, I can usually connect a face with a name if I see somebody enough but still then can't place a face to a name anytime else

zooguy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Mar 2012, 5:59 pm

I have always had a horrible time remembering people - A while back I went out to eat with one of my sisters and mother, which I do every week - ten minutes after leaving the restaurant and went to the store and saw an older lady in a car in the parking lot - thought I know her don't who she is so I waved on case knowing that I have this problem, then in the store I was next to someone that felt like I should know who it was, then realized it was sister I just left ten minutes earlier and of course it was my mother outside - this is normal for me and it is really hard to deal with and is scary- I am 60 years old - been an alien sense the second grade- I like myself the way I am as hard as it is sometimes

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 6:35 pm

No difficulties remembering faces, but names always seem to slip my mind.

Wobbuffet
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2012, 6:59 pm

People say "hi" to me at work, but I honestly don't remember who they are. They'll have one-sided conversations with me in the lift/elevator, with them telling me stuff they think I should know about themselves and me just smiling awkwardly and laughing when they do.

It's even worse when they see me outside of work (maybe the supermarket), because then I literally have no idea who they are. At least at work, I know they're someone I work with... =/

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 5:45 am

Walked past my dad (who I live with) on the street today without recognising him until he talked to me...so yes I have problems recognising faces.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 4:26 pm

I have a much easier time remembering faces than I do remembering names.

Jean_Descole
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Mar 2012, 4:57 pm

In a sense. I'm terrible at recognizing faces, and thus may not notice someone I know when I walk by them. But usually this becomes easier after I've seen them a lot, or if they're in a place I would expect them to be.

BorgPrince
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2012, 6:00 pm

I believe this is a common problem with people on the autism spectrum. It's called Prosopagnosia.