Do Autistic teen boys want to have an Autistic girlfriend?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Do Autistic teenage boys want to have a girlfriend who has High-Functioning Autsim?
Maybe. 60%  60%  [ 18 ]
Nope. 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
Yep. 20%  20%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 30

Jevorlin
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Mar 2012, 6:10 pm

Autistic as in High-Functioning Autsim?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 6:21 pm

...Yes?

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 6:35 pm

It would depend on the person, though I've seen quite a few successsful asd/asd relationships.

Taybot97
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Mar 2012, 7:25 pm

Not really, atleast in those I know. My girlfriend is a NT and the only aspire girl I know I don't really like like that.

More info: I've known my girlfriend now for 3 years and the aspie girl for nearly my entire life. I did like the aspie once when I was younger before either of us was diagnosed. I get along with her well but she seems like much more of a friend than a mate.

Last edited by Taybot97 on 13 Mar 2012, 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zzmondo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 7:26 pm

I picked maybe because I at least want a girl who I can talk to and we can understand each other and have a good relationship.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 8:04 pm

Many do, but not all of them.

With some, it works very well. Others see it as "the blind leading the blind", and routines sometimes clash.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Arman_Khodaei
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Mar 2012, 8:39 pm

I wanted a girlfriend as a teen, but I was always attracted to outgoing girls because I was too shy to approach any girls. So, an autistic girl would have been shy, and I would have been shy and afraid of rejection. But, maybe someone else with HFA felt differently which is what my diagnosis is.

I have a daily blog that discusses my experiences on the autism spectrum, and a daily YouTube series to compliment it. Please check them out. I also have a podcast that is updated weekly including an Al

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2012, 9:21 pm

I've been debating this with my self, on the one hand, an aspie girlfriend would understand my dislike of crowds and things like that. On the other hand, an NT girlfriend might be able to explain some of the social stuff that goes right over my head. So, sure, I don't see why not.

DanRaccoon
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 8:40 am

I don't want any girlfriend :D but that's not really the question, and so I apologise.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DanRaccoon

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 8:54 am

Well, maybe, if I was a teenage boy again... without that utter shyness and dysfunctionality...

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 11:53 am

To me that would be the same as asking if you only wanted to date someone who was the same race as you. It makes no difference as everyone is different.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Fraser1990
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Mar 2012, 12:12 pm

Whats a girlfriend? :cry:

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:17 pm

Yeah, but you have to remember that with the same culture (not race; culture--culture does go along racial lines often, though), there are fewer things that can cause communication gaps between the two people.

That doesn't mean that cross-cultural relationships aren't successful; it does however mean that the couple has to understand that there are going to be those gaps that they have to bridge to communicate well. The same goes for an NT/AS relationship--if you are aware of the gaps and understand that you need to connect across them, then you'll do fine; if you don't, if you're in denial or blame it on the other person or are just ill-informed about each other, you can run into some serious problems.

You know we get people here who can't understand their AS spouse, or Aspies who can't understand their NT spouse; and by the time they get here there's been a lot of fighting and hurt and resentment? Well, that's the problem I'm talking about, but it isn't inevitable by any means. You can totally prevent it just by being aware of the need to communicate and addressing it in a practical manner. Not that you won't ever fight; but you'll cut the crossed-wire-communication fights down to the level they are in a couple that's not cross-cultural.

Note I say "cross-cultural" rather than AS/NT, because this isn't a principle specific to AS/NT couples; just to couples that are different in some significant way. Could be a guy from NYC and a girl from Georgia; could be an immigrant from Russia moving to Germany and falling in love there; could just be somebody from the wrong side of the tracks falling in love with somebody from the upper tax brackets. If you're significantly different, and you don't think about how that affects your relationship and how to make sure you can understand each other, then the relationship's going to have problems you could've avoided.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com