Maybe this will be a useful wake up call for some here....

Page 2 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:35 pm

He put up this article to hint at me. He assumes that I'm *only* looking for someone wealthier than me. Anyway, I'm taken - by someone more or less equal to me in terms of monetary worth.

Quote:
I bet all y'all who b***h and whine about women being "gold diggers" would be only dating chicks dozens of leagues ahead of you in the looks department if you had the dough ;P

wealthy women want wealthy men. wealthy men want beautiful women. big f***ing deal.

Precisely.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
who is constructing these gender roles? Are they somewhat natural (they are not, to me, but then I'm on the spectrum)? Are they reinforced for the greater good, despite not being good supportive constructs, generally?

^^One word: Evolution.

no, that's not accurate because through most of human prehistory belongings were communal. it was only when we became settled and sedentary in farming cultures that personal wealth became important. it was in the same period that societies became almost-universally patriarchal, so women generally didn't have access to wealth of their own.

Wealth was pesented in different form: protection/security/food/hunting skills

MissConstrue
Veteran
Veteran

MXH wrote:
BTW ill make an example of this. My parents went from my dad being the bread winner by a small margin to my mom now making twice as much as him when her career kicked on. For them it wasnt a big deal but i can see how that would scare most guys.

Why would that scare most guys? In my family both my mom and dad worked, then my decided to quit his job and work in a job that payed less than my mother. For a couple of years it was my mom not my dad who was working. I must have an unusual family since most of the females in my family have had to work and did not go for millionaires or guys that made more than them, not that I'm saying it doesn't happen. But this thread makes it seem as if women are only interested in guys with money and nothing else. Even my sister was dumb enough to marry a guy who not only didn't work but couldn't help care for the kids.

Last edited by MissConstrue on 14 Mar 2012, 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:37 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:
who is constructing these gender roles? Are they somewhat natural (they are not, to me, but then I'm on the spectrum)? Are they reinforced for the greater good, despite not being good supportive constructs, generally?

no, that's not accurate because through most of human prehistory belongings were communal. it was only when we became settled and sedentary in farming cultures that personal wealth became important. it was in the same period that societies became almost-universally patriarchal, so women generally didn't have access to wealth of their own.

no, it was egalitarian. men were not "offering" women something and did not hold economic power like that.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:39 pm

anna-banana wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
I have yet to meet a wealthy man without a trophy wife/girlfriend. just saying.

Melinda Gates doesn't look or presented as a "trophy" wife by the media (aka not a model).

Same for Kerry's wife, Mrs Heinz.

I dunno, I haven't met Bill. and anyway, exceptions just prove the rule.

I bet all y'all who b***h and whine about women being "gold diggers" would be only dating chicks dozens of leagues ahead of you in the looks department if you had the dough ;P

wealthy women want wealthy men. wealthy men want beautiful women. big f***ing deal. :shrug:

Was that directed to me?

The article wasn't even about gold diggers.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Mar 2012, 12:42 pm

Some women do not like paying for dates & things because society judges them. They get weird looks & things when they pay instead of the guy because the custom is that the guy is supposed to pay & he may not be able to afford to if he makes less

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:48 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
http://www.evanmarckatz.com/blog/do-you-need-a-man-to-make-more-money-than-you-if-so-why/#.T2BdiYGPXzM

what point are you making? that article misinterpreted some important data, but i have no idea what you're trying to say.

the article presented the inaccurate idea that women benefit more from men's wealth, when in fact the opposite is true: men benefit more from women's wealth.

The only way a man would benefit more from a womans wealth would be because she would be able to pay for her own stuff instead of him being her personal atm.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:50 pm

MissConstrue wrote:
MXH wrote:
BTW ill make an example of this. My parents went from my dad being the bread winner by a small margin to my mom now making twice as much as him when her career kicked on. For them it wasnt a big deal but i can see how that would scare most guys.

Why would that scare most guys? In my family both my mom and dad worked, then my decided to quit his job and work in a job that payed less than my mother. For a couple of years it was my mom not my dad who was working. I must have an unusual family since most of the females in my family have had to work and did not go for millionaires or guys that made more than them, not that I'm saying it doesn't happen. But this thread makes it seem as if women are only interested in guys with money and nothing else. Even my sister was dumb enough to marry a guy who not only didn't work but couldn't help care for the kids.

It would scare most guys for the same reason its said that women go for men with money. Its how society dictates it to be.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:55 pm

MXH wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
http://www.evanmarckatz.com/blog/do-you-need-a-man-to-make-more-money-than-you-if-so-why/#.T2BdiYGPXzM

what point are you making? that article misinterpreted some important data, but i have no idea what you're trying to say.

the article presented the inaccurate idea that women benefit more from men's wealth, when in fact the opposite is true: men benefit more from women's wealth.

The only way a man would benefit more from a womans wealth would be because she would be able to pay for her own stuff instead of him being her personal atm.

no, i posted an article about it. men benefit more economically from women's wealth in marriage than the reverse. here is the article again:

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2010/01/ ... -marriage/

interestingly, if you take the gender pay gap into account, women and men are on par in terms of what they bring into a marriage. it's not like women are choosing to earn less than men and about equal numbers of men and women do work. so if women earned the same as men did for the same jobs, there wouldn't be any disparity in households.

Last edited by hyperlexian on 14 Mar 2012, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 12:56 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
I have yet to meet a wealthy man without a trophy wife/girlfriend. just saying.

Melinda Gates doesn't look or presented as a "trophy" wife by the media (aka not a model).

Same for Kerry's wife, Mrs Heinz.

I dunno, I haven't met Bill. and anyway, exceptions just prove the rule.

wealthy women want wealthy men. wealthy men want beautiful women. big f***ing deal. :shrug:

Was that directed to me?

The article wasn't even about gold diggers.

it was directed at the general "herp derp women are evil gold digging biotches!!1" crowd.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:05 pm

For every man with a trophy wife theres a gold digging woman ;)

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:06 pm

MXH wrote:

sure, but so what? leave them to each other as they are equally shallow. since they are a minority, they are not exactly pertinent to most people's dating experience.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Mar 2012, 1:07 pm

MXH wrote:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJXR-en6--U[/youtube]

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

anna-banana
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:09 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
MXH wrote:

sure, but so what? leave them to each other as they are equally shallow. since they are a minority, they are not exactly pertinent to most people's dating experience.

exactly.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:16 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Quote:

no, it was egalitarian. men were not "offering" women something and did not hold economic power like that.

Well, yea, it's not quite an "offering" thing but that's exactly why is wealth is a preference, let me explain:

Most women today prefer taller men / wealthier men because....of....well...evolution! Height, size, skills, talents and "wealth" (could be in many forms) ...all those qualities provide better protection and better survival chances for the offspring.

The main reason why men evolved bigger in size than women is the long women's gestation period during which it is difficult to perform, walk and fight. Because of this, men, like most primate species, have evolved a protective role. Meaning, the offspring of those who weren't big and able to defend them were less likely to survive and gradually died off.

Certainly, among the many variations in the plenty of past generations, there have always been some big females and weak males, maybe there were plenty of big females who preferred smaller males over bigger males but that was overall inefficient given that the woman already spent too much time popping babies, hence such variations became much less frequent. Better to have the male be big and kill the enemies than to send the nursing woman to war. It's not what like anyone decided, just evolution.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 14 Mar 2012, 1:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:17 pm

I'm pretty sure women are after my silver and precious gems, not my gold