Maybe this will be a useful wake up call for some here....

Page 3 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:17 pm

I'm pretty sure women are after my silver and precious gems, not my gold

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:21 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
MXH wrote:
For every man with a trophy wife theres a gold digging woman ;)

sure, but so what? leave them to each other as they are equally shallow. since they are a minority, they are not exactly pertinent to most people's dating experience.

yea, exactly, that's why I didn't get anna-banana's reaction :P.

but again, the article wasn't about gold-diggers.

It's about successful and high-earning women (they don't even need to be gold-diggers!! !) who still hold the preference of marrying 'up' (wealth-wise) and hence most probably are struggling in finding a suitor because of it. And YESSS, I did witness such mentality here in some of the standard-list threads!

All the author is telling them that it's ok if they go for a less earning man because they really don't need otherwise, he's just telling them to widen their horizon a bit.

and which gender benefits more from the other has nothing to do with this topic too.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 14 Mar 2012, 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:29 pm

smudge wrote:
He put up this article to hint at me. He assumes that I'm *only* looking for someone wealthier than me. Anyway, I'm taken - by someone more or less equal to me in terms of monetary worth.

Quote:
I bet all y'all who b***h and whine about women being "gold diggers" would be only dating chicks dozens of leagues ahead of you in the looks department if you had the dough ;P

wealthy women want wealthy men. wealthy men want beautiful women. big f***ing deal.

Precisely.

Who are you? I don't even recall who you are.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:30 pm

actually, who benefits more is definitely important as it is one blatant way in which the "article" you posted was inaccurate. they claimed something to be true, when in fact the evidence points to the opposite. it calls the rest of the claims into question. oh, and most people don't marry up - they marry someone with similar education and earning potential.

that's the problem with these internet blogs - they are unscientific and anecdotal. any supposed evidence that they find is often misinterpreted or twisted to fit the blogger's agenda.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:35 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
actually, who benefits more is definitely important as it is one blatant way in which the "article" you posted was inaccurate. they claimed something to be true, when in fact the evidence points to the opposite. it calls the rest of the claims into question. oh, and most people don't marry up - they marry someone with similar education and earning potential.

that's the problem with these internet blogs - they are unscientific and anecdotal. any supposed evidence that they find is often misinterpreted or twisted to fit the blogger's agenda.

maybe not in Canada, but in the third world yes, they marry up, hell they do.

Also, women are much more likely to quit their careers after marriage:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 143110.htm

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:47 pm

who's talking about the third world? many women are not even allowed to work there, so how else could they survive? if you are concerned about the dating patterns of women in the third world, maybe work on empowering them to become equal so that they will have similar options as women in developed countries. it's almost like you're blaming them for wanting to marry someone who has money, when frankly they have no other choice. anyway that has nothing to do with the situation of the vast majority of WPers, so you are tossing in a red herring.

if you want the full article that i linked a summary from, it also deals with income level of spouses in the United States (where most WP members are located). the information can be roughly extrapolated to all western countries, although in Canada we see the same trends to a higher degree as women have more options here.

http://pewsocialtrends.org/files/2010/1 ... rriage.pdf

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:57 pm

anna-banana wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
I have yet to meet a wealthy man without a trophy wife/girlfriend. just saying.

Melinda Gates doesn't look or presented as a "trophy" wife by the media (aka not a model).

Same for Kerry's wife, Mrs Heinz.

I dunno, I haven't met Bill. and anyway, exceptions just prove the rule.

I bet all y'all who b***h and whine about women being "gold diggers" would be only dating chicks dozens of leagues ahead of you in the looks department if you had the dough ;P

wealthy women want wealthy men. wealthy men want beautiful women. big f***ing deal. :shrug:

Anyways, the issue the author is talking about is about wealthy women wanting wealthy men, but about wealthy women wanting wealthier men - big difference.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 1:59 pm

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
anna-banana wrote:

Melinda Gates doesn't look or presented as a "trophy" wife by the media (aka not a model).

wealthy women want wealthy men. wealthy men want beautiful women. big f***ing deal. :shrug:

Anyways, the issue the author is talking about is about wealthy women wanting wealthy men, but about wealthy women wanting wealthier men - big difference.

except that it is not an accurate statement.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 2:05 pm

hyperlexian wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
anna-banana wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
anna-banana wrote:

except that it is not an accurate statement.

Well, regardless of its accuracy, the article's message is clear, it's directed to a certain type of high-earning women that they do really exist, whether they are a majority or a minority is irrelevant. Are you denying they exist?

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 2:13 pm

of course some women are gold diggers, whether they are high earners or not. some men are gold diggers too. but that isn't really relevant to people on the forum as a "wake up call" because it's not the case with most men or women in western society. they are curious anomalies, not indicators of trends.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 2:30 pm

anna-banana wrote:
hyperlexian wrote:
MXH wrote:
For every man with a trophy wife theres a gold digging woman ;)

sure, but so what? leave them to each other as they are equally shallow. since they are a minority, they are not exactly pertinent to most people's dating experience.

exactly.

Because of those minorities (if they are a minority) entire genders are looked down upon. Believe it or not i dont come here saying women are evil or men are evil. Im simply stating the same thing ive always said. The genders are more equal than people want to admit. every negative about men women have a similar one and vice versa.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 2:47 pm

One thing I've noticed since entering the dating world is how men have a tendency to emphasize that they've got a job. It's as if it makes them more dateable in their eyes. I am unclear as to why this is the case.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 3:38 pm

TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:
One thing I've noticed since entering the dating world is how men have a tendency to emphasize that they've got a job. It's as if it makes them more dateable in their eyes. I am unclear as to why this is the case.

Because for many women its a requirement to have a job/car to even think of being with someone.

Comp_Geek_573
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 4:12 pm

As long as I have decent career prospects of my own, I do not care AT ALL where a woman is money- or education-wise. I find that neither of those things have much correlation with character nowadays. Nor am I going to turn away from a wealthy woman just because society says that men aren't supposed to date "up" wealth-wise. As long as I'd love her even if she lost her high-paying job!

I'll admit I'd feel a bit intimidated if she had a Ph.D or a six-figure job, since I'm far from sure I'll ever have those. But that's probably just my fear of her being turned off by the idea of dating "down" in wealth.

As long as I make enough money to have a house of my own, doing something I at least somewhat enjoy, I'd be happy.

AQ: 33

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 4:25 pm

mv wrote:
{shrug} I'm only one (modern) woman, but I've never cared what a man makes, as long as he can take care of himself. I guess I'm unusual, it could never matter to me what someone else makes, because I don't understand the concept of spending someone else's money. I make money, and if I choose to spend that money on me and my family, that's one thing. Giving someone else access to that money is something else, something that's alien. Bartering one's self, one's intrinsic worth, in order to get access to someone else's money, is super creepy to me.

I pay my own way on dates, unless the other person feels very strongly about it, and even then I'll pick up the next date.

I agree with everything you say, except paying yourself for dates, a man should do so out of his own kindness and politeness, as I think this is something that will be sadly lost if woman don't let them pay out of that kindness/politeness.

Of course, it's not necessarily about the money in that perspective, but more about how they represent themselves to the woman.

Other then that, I would'nt care how much a woman has.

TeaEarlGreyHot
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2012, 5:48 pm

MXH wrote:
TeaEarlGreyHot wrote:

Because for many women its a requirement to have a job/car to even think of being with someone.

I see. I've dated jobless/carless men before. I don't see what the big deal is, as long as I'm not expected to pay their way.