Do you ever feel your thoughts are going too fast?

Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 10:33 am

EmmaUK12 wrote:
I find it hard to focus onthings because my mindalways seems to be working overtime and it's an almost constant flow of ideas that won't seem to subside. It feels like my head is going to explode sometimes. Does anyone else feel similar?

Hence my username.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

Mmuffinn
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2012, 12:36 pm

I have always had what I called "too many thoughts" simultaneously occurring in my mind, passing through so quickly I can't even appreciate them. One idea becomes 50 thoughts branching out in every direction, like a lightening bolt. Sometimes it seems as though there is an infinite number of thoughts, every possible thought for a given stimulus, and I can feel them all whizzing through my mind until I pick one to pay attention to. I call that quantum thinking, and most of the time it is amazing.
I find it bothersome when I can't "catch" any of the thoughts, or when I'm trying to sleep or listen to someone. I've been taking Concerta, which has slowed down this process and reduced the number of thoughts I have at one time. I might be more capable of sleeping and listening, but I miss my thoughts. I've grown accustomed to the background chatter of my mind, and it just feels wrong for it to be quieter and slower. It might help with school, but once I'm done I'm going back to the "noisy" brain with quantum thoughts.
It may sound unusual, or even crazy, to others so I don't go into detail about the processes in my brain with other people. I used to think everyone thought this way when I was a kid, but the few people I tried to explain it to over the years were totally confused and concerned that I might have some sort of psychotic disorder. I've been terrified that if I ever told a doctor that he would lock me up! So, I simply refer to it as "too many thoughts" when I must explain it to others.
Anyone else have a similar way of thinking? Or does it sound crazy to you too?

Kindertotenlieder79
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Aug 2012, 5:14 pm

My penmanship has always been terrible. My 1st grade teacher remarked on one of my report cards that my "mind moved too fast for my hand to keep up." I think she hit the nail on the head.

lakersfan
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Dec 2013, 11:27 pm

Wow, wow, wow. In my infinite time spent browsing the net never have I found a symptom type that so accurately describes me! Good to be here, people! What kind of medication cures this thought pattern?
-I have also been dx/ed with Bipolar 2 but in browsing those forums I haven't found a description like this that I can relate to so much. What the hell is going on in the brain?
-Do the symptoms of Bipolar 2 and Aspergers overlap? So many questions.