Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 7:40 pm

I'd take over for you if I was living in your area.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 8:40 pm

I did jury duty... it was a kidnapping and attempted murder trial...

It does not really affect aspie traits. If you ask questions, you write them down and nobody knows which question was yours... you aren't allowed to talk to anyone so you dont have to socialize with the other jurors... You spend lots of time waiting so bring a book or smart phone as suggested earlier.

However... I should say

Mentally... the case that I was on had a profound effect on my mental state... It took me a couple of months to get over the things that I saw and the things that I had to be a part of...

however, if I had the opportunity to do it again: I would!

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 9:09 pm

All I remember is doing a lot of waiting, and then not being chosen.

Oh, I also remember being asked some questions by a lawyer when they were picking people. During the lawyer's explanation of the case I asked a question which it seemed like I wasn't supposed to ask, because after it the judge called the lawyers over and and then excused all of us back to the waiting room to be picked for other trials (but by the end of the day I hadn't been called again, so I got to go home).

So, maybe try asking a really obvious question that everyone else knows better than to ask! :lol:

Nowadays, I'm permanently off the list due to brain problems, like not being able to follow a 30 minute sit-com.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2012, 9:11 pm

Here's an idea: Dress up like a goth when you go. You never see a goth on a jury, right? They'll dismiss you on first sight.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

16 Mar 2012, 1:37 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Nowadays, I'm permanently off the list due to brain problems, like not being able to follow a 30 minute sit-com.

What was the process like to get off the list :?: I sent the judge a note about my vision problems & got excused(I talked about the story in my previous post in this thread) but I'm not sure if I'm permanently removed or not. I'm sure I could get my GP to give a list of medical & psych reasons if I ever get called again

Jory wrote:
Here's an idea: Dress up like a goth when you go. You never see a goth on a jury, right? They'll dismiss you on first sight.

Or you can try bringing a baby who cries a lot with you & say you couldn't find or afford a sitter. My mom said she brought me when I was little & got out of it after a bit

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 1:41 am

nick007 wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

What was the process like to get off the list :?: I sent the judge a note about my vision problems & got excused(I talked about the story in my previous post in this thread) but I'm not sure if I'm permanently removed or not. I'm sure I could get my GP to give a list of medical & psych reasons if I ever get called again

I just called my doctor's office and they took care of it. Come to think of it, I actually don't know exactly what they did, beyond that they called me back and told me that I was on the "permanent" list.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 1:52 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
nick007 wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:

I just called my doctor's office and they took care of it. Come to think of it, I actually don't know exactly what they did, beyond that they called me back and told me that I was on the "permanent" list.

I'm glad it was that simple. I'll try that if I ever get another summons.

My dad was picked for a grand jury when I was little. It was for a murder trial & we started getting these weird phone calls shortly after it started where we would get a call several times a day & the person wouldn't say anything & we also had this truck driving back & forth our street a lot very slowly. It quit when the trial ended; the guy was found guilty so my parents were afraid for a while. Another problem was that my dad is self-employed(works in construction) & there had been little work available for a while till around the time the trial started & there wasn't much work after the trial for a while either. My dad said he'll tell the story about the truck & phone calls if he ever gets another summons & say he cant be fair to to fear of his & family's safety

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 2:08 am

nick007 wrote:
My dad was picked for a grand jury when I was little. It was for a murder trial & we started getting these weird phone calls shortly after it started where we would get a call several times a day & the person wouldn't say anything & we also had this truck driving back & forth our street a lot very slowly. It quit when the trial ended; the guy was found guilty so my parents were afraid for a while. Another problem was that my dad is self-employed(works in construction) & there had been little work available for a while till around the time the trial started & there wasn't much work after the trial for a while either. My dad said he'll tell the story about the truck & phone calls if he ever gets another summons & say he cant be fair to to fear of his & family's safety

Wow, yeah -- and who would be able to concentrate during a trial and worry about that at the same time.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 3:49 am

Sparx wrote:
If you don't want to do it, you can get out of it if you get a doctor's note (for y'know, your diagnosis).
...If I'm not mistaken, I read that somewhere.

I'd like to do that but I don't have a diagnosis.

Just having to leave the house every day for who knows how long would bother me.

If it was a sequestered jury I don't even know what I'd do. I'd be extremely traumatized being forced out of my home away from my stuff and locked up somewhere against my will. For me it would be like getting sent away and locked up all over again like I was a couple of times as a teenager.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 9:00 am

I had a summons for jury duty as well, it was not too bad. All I can say is show up on time when they say so * you will get into alot of trouble by not showing up *, and answer the questions to the best of you ability. * I think mine was a domestic abuse case, although I was not picked for jury. *

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Mar 2012, 10:41 am

If you don't want to do it, just be honest and say you're on the Spectrum, and send in some paperwork to support that, if you have it. Then if they want you to come anyway, just act like your political views are either extreme Right or extreme Left, and you will not be picked. Be very strong-minded and absolute when they ask you any questions. They hate that, and will just tell you "thank you for your time... We'll call you back if we need you".

Charles

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

16 Mar 2012, 11:46 am

Thanks for all your replys, it doesnt sound that bad so I think i'm just going to go. i'm not going to act as if i'm disabled to get out of anything

i'll sit on the court steps and eat my brown paper bag lunch ever so casually. then return home

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 11:53 am

nick007 wrote:
You might could get out of it if you have a medical or mental reason. I got a summons a year or so ago. I called the number & I asked the clerk if I could be excused because I had no way to get there due to being borderline legally blind & no public transportation in my area. She told me to mail the judge a letter. I was excused & never got anything since. If I ever get another one I'll tell them that I should be excused for mental reasons due to enjoying this movie :arrow:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A39yUsdlzKk[/youtube]

OH MY GODDESS that was f*****g hilarious.

That said, OP, join the club... or should I say the juror pool?

What made it even funnier was that I received the summons on February 14, so I told my friends that I had received two Valentines: one from my girlfriend and the other from the clerk of court. :P

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

Roxas_XIII
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 12:00 pm

nick007 wrote:

I know this sounds cliche coming from a Wyoming resident, but if it ever happens again, two words: START. PACKING. If they were targeting your dad because he was a juror, then there's obvious reason to fear death or great bodily harm to yourself or your loved ones, which in all but a few states is legal justification for the use of deadly force in self-defense. It'd be even more so because he is a jury member; I'm sure the court would be less concerned about a juror having to shoot someone trying to kill them because they are on the jury, and more concerned that there is evidence of an outside party trying to influence the case by intimidating the jurors. Techincally you're supposed to be under protection of the local police forces, especially since it was a high-profile murder case with a grand jury.

Happy New Year from WP's resident fortune-teller! May the cards be ever in your favor.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2012, 8:52 pm

Roxas_XIII wrote:
nick007 wrote:

I know this sounds cliche coming from a Wyoming resident, but if it ever happens again, two words: START. PACKING. If they were targeting your dad because he was a juror, then there's obvious reason to fear death or great bodily harm to yourself or your loved ones, which in all but a few states is legal justification for the use of deadly force in self-defense. It'd be even more so because he is a jury member; I'm sure the court would be less concerned about a juror having to shoot someone trying to kill them because they are on the jury, and more concerned that there is evidence of an outside party trying to influence the case by intimidating the jurors. Techincally you're supposed to be under protection of the local police forces, especially since it was a high-profile murder case with a grand jury.

One of my cousins is married to a cop so we'll talk to him if something like that were to ever happen again. I heard you cant get called for jury duty for so many years after you do a grand jury; I forget the time frame.
Has anyone besides Peter Griffin, Stan Smith & Steve Urkel ever been exited to get jury duty :?:

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

16 Mar 2012, 10:00 pm

I have never served as a juror though I have been called in to be a potential juror---they selected all the members before getting to me. I have often got the notices stating I might be called in for jury duty. I personally do not want to serve on jury duty. I submitted a paper to our courts stating two reasons I do not feel I should serve on jury duty---1. I have a bad leg that requires me to not sit for extended periods of time (blood clots), and 2. I have autism, and I feel it is difficult for me to keep my mind occupied on things I do not find interesting which could include a court case. I have never received notices for jury duty since.