Elementary or highscool
Elementary School 45%  45%  [ 19 ]
High School 55%  55%  [ 23 ]
Total votes : 42

ChemicalCole
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Mar 2012, 1:55 pm

Personally, I didn't mind elementary school. My classmates eventually understood me and talked to me here and there. It was the older kids that would pick on me and tell me to do things that would get me in trouble. I didn't really listen to everyone though, I would daze off quite a bit.

High school, in my opinion was not that great until my last year which I am currently attending. I was always trying to fit in with all the new trends, but they were changing so fast. Eventually I stopped following around those people I thought were my friends and made a few new ones. Still though, grade 9, 10 and 11 were terrible, people can be very rude.

Currently I am not in class, I do my courses in a room on a computer and my grades sky-rocketed to A's. I upgraded to harder courses and I love it. Still though, elementary was better even though it took me six years to fully adjust to elementary, the social skills program was very helpful.

So what was your preferred school, elementary or high school?

TheChamelion
Raven
Raven

17 Mar 2012, 2:17 pm

High school by far! My history of primary schools was moving around allot and never getting adjusted, so basically the entire primary school time was just me being bullied. Highschool is also a fairly good time for someone like me who is always a bit awkward. With all the hormones and everything going around everyone seemed a bit awkward! Not to mention highschools curriculum is far more flexible and well basically by yourself more.

And yes, I realise I basically just said highschool was a good time because of awkward hormonal teenagers... 8O
Talk about awkward... :lol:

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2012, 11:34 pm

My elementary school years were much funner and more nostalgic than my high school years. I wasn't as sociall awkward in elementary school, I was more outgoing, and my favorite t.v. channels (Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon) were at their peak of greatness. Looking back, my elementary years really were great - although I didn't realize it at the time.

ChemicalCole
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Mar 2012, 8:28 pm

How interesting, but very believable. Elementary can be very cruel. I was bullied for sometime but it was nothing because the bullies were not very creative. It stopped when i reached grade 5 and started again in 7 but only for a while. High school was just terrible for my first three years. I found that in elementary people loved hearing me talk on and on because I was very charismatic, but didn't want to listen to others much (thus the reason why I didn't do much at recess but stand near some people).

In high school, I find that the student have way too many expectations for the way you present yourself (dressing, hair, attitude). I just hate all the snobby kids that think they are "king of the hill". In my school all the guys smoke, workout, gel their hair into want-to-be mohawks/shave bald to look scary and intimidating, and drive run down cars with maybe one flashy part. On top of all of that, they started rumours about me being addicted to Cocaine, I guess they couldn't find something terrible about me so they started something up. It really doesn't hurt my feelings, just annoys me because they think they are so smart comming up with a really terrible rumour that is clearly not true. It's realy rudimentry on their behalf and they look even dumber comming up with that kind of rubbish.

Basically, high school is a big no in my books, elementary was easier social-wise. It doesn't even matter because I am now in my last year, getting A's in higher level courses. I'm going to college for biology so I am very dedicated to my work unlike my classmates that just waste their time making stupid things up about me. They gave up though, I ignored them and they stopped.

Thank you for your replies,

Cole.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2012, 8:51 pm

I wasn't popular in either elementary school or high school but I preferred elementary school. Grade 12 of high school wasn't too bad though, I switched from a country high school to a city school which I really enjoyed attending.

Sempiternal
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2012, 12:19 am

Awh, there isn't a choice for middle school? That was the best two years of my life... Anyway, elementary school or high school... Hard to choose.

Elementary school... I was bullied, but outside of school within a group of kids whose parents were my parents' friends. The adults were too busy conversing among themselves, and no one at school ever found out about it, so no one helped. At school, I guess I got picked on several times, though they could been trying to joke and I just took it literally. My friendship with my emotionally abusive best friend was unstable. She was one of the bullies, but when she "apologized", I was too naive to say no. :roll:

High school... it's boring. For the most part, everyone seems "normal" or just plain imbeciles. There are seemingly good people, but not the type I could really connect to. It's only been my first year, but it's not leaving a good impression on me so far...

Middle school was amazing! I didn't have to try as hard to socialize. Since my (new) best friend was pretty social and well-known around school, when she made friends, they would realize that I wasn't talking much and try to get to know me. People who were completely different from each got along without much drama. I actually enjoy being around people who are different from me, as long as they're as different from each other and respect the fact that not everyone will agree. I was singled out in 8th grade in one of my classes and had irrational amounts of paranoia, but overall, life was pretty great back in middle school.

Joehotto101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Dec 2015, 1:27 pm

Elementary School was really fun, especially because of not having to worry about relationships and working really hard outside of school. We had one teacher, who taught us everything, and I got to know my classmates really well. Halloween involved decorating cupcakes and watching spooky movies, unlike in High School, where it would involve going with your friends to someones house to get drunk.

However, elementary school was also pretty bad, especially because mine was one of the best in the entire state, and we had to do standardized tests over and over. They even took away our recess if we didn't perform up to standards.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Jan 2016, 7:14 pm

I was bullied in elementary school but not high-school.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

melmaclorelai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2016, 11:59 pm

I preferred high school, particularly the last two years of it. I was given a little more autonomy than I experienced in previous years and was able to only take the classes that I chose. The bullying largely died down and I managed to make a few connections with people. My mental health was the most stable that it had ever been in my life up to that point so that helped a lot too.

Primary school wasn't a good time for me. I was bullied a lot and didn't have a good home life either so I felt very lonely and isolated.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 10:38 pm

Elementary school was horrible. I was relentlessly bullied from Kindergarten to Third Grade.

Middle School was just as bad. I suffered from severe depression during seventh grade and had to deal with teasing throughout my time there.

Besides two months in a 2,000+ student public high school, which was horrible, I went to a small private alternative High School. They were the best four years of my life, by far. Teachers and other students understood me and I could actually relate to people. I loved that school so much, that for my recent Eagle Scout project, I built them an outdoor classroom.

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 11:12 pm

Elementary school wasn't terrible, but it had some bad parts, especially in the latter stages, namely fifth and sixth grades. That was when the bullying really started to escalate, especially in sixth grade. People would learn I was sensitive to pain and start poking me mercilessly, for example. I didn't have my Asperger's diagnosis at the time, so teachers always called me a smart aleck and thought I was trying to be difficult.

High school was wonderful, though; I went to a private school in another state, where my dad teaches, and I was not bullied at all. Everyone was so kind and welcoming, and I actually had a group of friends for the only time in my life, some of whom I still stay in contact with. I performed in many plays and truly enjoyed them. I wish I could go back there, because college sucks.

GuyInABlackSuit
Raven
Raven

23 Jun 2018, 3:42 pm

Despite me having a sucky life during elementary school, I would prefer that because the kids' shows on Disney Channel, Cartoon Network, and Nickelodeon were at their last legs of decency. What I mean? The majority of Disney Channel and Nickelodeon's programming suck a** nowadays (except The Loud House, which is pretty good) while the ones when I was growing up were epic to a sense. It is also the most nostalgic time of my life, as there were many commercials and graphics and TV shows and designs that you never see anymore because today, all those things have changed. High school, starting in 10th grade, were the hardest times of my life. Work was harder, pressure and stress started becoming more frequent, etc.
But I would prefer elementary school in the general sense of life than high school.
I was homeschooled my entire life anyway so... yea.
I plan to start next year in a 'special school' tho.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 6:22 pm

Both weren't particularly great.

Primary school: neglectful teachers, biased lessons, confusing mixed messages from said teachers, and a mentally unstable counsellor.

I also experienced physical bullying, along with a bit of psychological. Teachers refused to help despite the fact I reported the bullying problem. Often had bruises from experiencing near constant kicking to my legs, it would hurt whenever I walked as a result.

Ended up acting out emotionally because I didn't know how to deal with my emotions in a healthy manner.

Typically thrown into situations that I wasn't emotionally mature enough to handle due to my age, such as taking care of two classes of younger children whenever the teachers decided to leave the school unattended. Which was fairly frequently, it was common for them to do this at lunchtimes.

I went through periods of depression and low self worth (my counsellor once yelled at me claiming that I was stupid, incapable of learning, and implied I was worthless whilst she was having a mental breakdown, this was difficult to hear especially since I was only about 8 or 9 years old at the time).

Secondary school: some physical bullying, but predominantly psychological (especially targeting my claustrophobia). The worst I ever experienced was when a group of guys squished my body in between two power assisted doors and my spine/back, waist, and pelvic area were all aching with pain.

Thankfully nothing got seriously damaged, physically speaking, but the experience did leave me quite shaken emotionally and greatly worsened my claustrophobia. I remember walking to class after that and my body was just trembling and tears were falling down my face. People wanted to know what had happened but I was just so shook up that I couldn't seem to form any words together.

Some of my teachers were homophobic, I experienced sexism from certain students (didn't let it bother me though, this one guy tried to intimidate me into leaving my business studies course but I just told him where he could shove it, and ended up getting top marks in that class) plus it was a rough school, there were certainly days where I wished that I could just sleep for several weeks instead of having to go.

There were times where people would spread nasty rumours about me. Also, there were plenty of condescending teachers. One time I got to prove one of them wrong when she accused me of being accountable for her mistake.

I promptly dumped all the evidence that proved she was the one at fault in front of her, on her desk, and then went into a speech explaining why I was innocent. For the first time in her life she actually apologised to me. It was nice to finally feel respected for once.

Other students called me cocky for how I behaved that day, but you have to understand that she used to constantly belittle me as if I were an idiot, and if I hadn't spoken up when I did then I would have had to cover for her mistake and essentially do her job for her.

I just thought nope, that's it, I've had enough of being treated like trash and it's about time someone stood up to this woman.

Personally I only started to enjoy education when I was 16 at the start of College (equivalent to A level).

Last edited by Lost_dragon on 23 Jun 2018, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2018, 6:37 pm

Definitely high school. I was an adult by then and could choose whether I wanted to go or not. I went to a program with other adults that didn't have the chance to graduate at 18 either and since everyone was an adult and too focused on getting their diploma and getting out of there, there was ZERO bullying. It was in a poorer area of the city and most of the other students barely knew how to read. I could read, and quite well and was a bit of a teacher's pet. Elementry school, I was just bullied by teachers and other students. I was a child so I had to be there whether I wanted to be or not. My parents didn't care enough to find a place where I would be happy and told me the bullying was my fault anyway.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Jun 2018, 7:22 am

The classwork in high-skewl was hard at 1st. It was alot harder than when I went to a skewl for dyslexia from middle of 6th though 8th but I don't think it was harder than skewl was before that. The skewl work got alittle easier each year in high-skewl because I took the easiest corses I could when I was allowed to chose since I had NO desire at all to go to college due to struggling in skewl soo much cuz of my dyslexia & other learning disabilities. The corses that helped me the most after graduation were corses that were more discussion oriented & practical for real-life stuff instead of further skewling. They also hardened to be the 1s I did best at & found easiest.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2018, 9:54 pm

Ugh, I wish there was an option for...neither.

I was extremely uncoordinated (I'm still clumsy) in elementary school which was in the 1970's for me. I was "pigeon toed" and was mildly a toe walker. Before lunch, the teacher would pick two "captains" (I was rarely if ever selected from what I recall) for the kickball game during recess. All the students would line up against the wall and each captain would alternate in hand picking who would be on their team. I was always the last person picked. Every girl was picked before I was, which, as a boy, was probably harder back then. My classmates did accept my quirks and didn't bully me.

That started in middle school which, for me, was an absolute nightmare literally from the first day. It was a new school for me and none of my former elementary school classmates went there due to some bus zoning in relation to where I lived (rural). On the first day one of the kids in my homeroom was in the bathroom the same time I was. Some upper class students, for no reason whatsoever, singled him out, grabbed him, dragged him into a bathroom stall and literally gave him a swirly while he was screaming for help. I was frozen in fright and had no idea how to help him. My mind and body froze. It was like a jungle to me and bullying was bad.

High school, I guess was the least bad out of the three. I had a girlfriend for the last two of the three years and other than spending time with her had a very small group of people I considered to be friends.