Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Ecl713
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:38 am

I know there is a thread with a similar subject but this one is more about how you sound to others.

Two years ago my mom told me that when I joke no one can tell. She said I sound too serious.
I struggled all my life with people not understanding when I'm being serious, sarcastic, happy, sad, and so on.
For example today I was trying to be nice to my Dad by offering to move the internet box to another room so he can get better wireless reception then he accused me of being sarcastic and started yelling.
I got very confused and angry and had to leave the room.

Later on I asked my mom if I was still having trouble with the way I say things and the way I sound to others and she said YES.

So does anyone else have a similar problem? Or has anyone figured out how to fix it?

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:49 am

I sound differently to other people than I do in my head. Occasionally my tone of voice will sound angry when I'm actually not. This has obviously led to some hurt feelings, so whenever I think I may have accidentally snapped at someone, I'll ask them if what I said sounded rude.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 5:27 am

I sound monotonous, disinterested, depressed, quiet and boring to others, while in my head I'm quite the opposite... :?

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

beers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2012, 5:31 am

PerfectlyDarkTails wrote:
I sound monotonous, disinterested, depressed, quiet and boring to others, while in my head I'm quite the opposite... :?

This x 1000, at least for me as well.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

I've had several people confront me about my "attitude problem," so apparently I sometimes sound like a dick when I talk even though I don't mean to. I also tell jokes with a straight face, and people rarely seem to realize that I'm joking. So yeah, I'd say I have some problems with tone.

Koi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2012, 3:43 pm

Oh definitely. My tone of voice is taken the wrong way all the time.

I also have trouble understanding other peoples' tone of voice.

Separating joke from statement can be very difficult for me, and it makes me feel embarrassed when I get it wrong.