Should there be a limit on how much someone can earn?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2012, 1:21 pm

what would you say is the point at which you have to much money? Should there be a limit to how much someone can earn and if so how would you determine that point?

TM
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:24 pm

Of course there shouldn't! Such a policy would create a ceiling for how far some of us can get with our obsessions and interests and I don't like that. Should there be a limit on how much sex a person should be allowed to have, how many drinks they are allowed or how many friends they can accumulate? Plus, if this was instituted you're just encouraging rich people to get the hell out of the country where this rule applies and move to a country where they trade such an inane cap for a small tax.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:28 pm

Of course not, that would destroy the economy.

simon_says
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:29 pm

No, but the uber-wealthy can encourage each other to invest that money for the improvement of mankind. Gates and Buffet are good examples. A $40 billion charitable foundation that would not exist otherwise.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:29 pm

Methinks the new people here are quite talkative and it's sometimes like watching a puppet show as one says something and then another says something in opposition and yet if it's not mainstream biased then they say it in so weak a way as to most likely be an attempt at satire. It's quite entertaining to see how many years some people will act upon the grudge of not hearing the answers they wanted to hear. I wonder if they might be in their 50's before they realize how immature they're acting, and even then if they'll care to stop or if they'll just keep going regardless. Anyways, onward with the puppet show. Amuse me.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:43 pm

No that would be a lot like saying that soldiers should be payed the same amount as a cashier at target.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2012, 1:46 pm

iamnotaparakeet wrote:
Methinks the new people here are quite talkative and it's sometimes like watching a puppet show as one says something and then another says something in opposition and yet if it's not mainstream biased then they say it in so weak a way as to most likely be an attempt at satire. It's quite entertaining to see how many years some people will act upon the grudge of not hearing the answers they wanted to hear. I wonder if they might be in their 50's before they realize how immature they're acting, and even then if they'll care to stop or if they'll just keep going regardless. Anyways, onward with the puppet show. Amuse me.

is that supposed to be aimed at me?

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 1:49 pm

TheDarkMage wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Logically yes you are new to WP their for it was aimed at you.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Mar 2012, 1:57 pm

oh so i am getting called names now as well. it seems to me that certain people here just want to dress up their views in snazzy language and ignore the fundamental issue.

i am now getting abused for just starting a topic?

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 2:00 pm

TheDarkMage wrote:
iamnotaparakeet wrote:

Not necessarily aimed at you. If you aren't involved, then it's not about you whatsoever.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 2:03 pm

TheDarkMage wrote:
oh so i am getting called names now as well. it seems to me that certain people here just want to dress up their views in snazzy language and ignore the fundamental issue.

i am now getting abused for just starting a topic?

Should there be a limit on how much people make? How would it help? Would it help? Would it actually do more harm than good? If you would have people with limits as to how much they can earn, then where does the money they earn go once they surpass that limit? Yes, there are people who get paid too much to do too little and it is probably for that that this idea exists, but would it solve that problem or would it make it worse somehow?

Oodain
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 2:31 pm

i think there should be a limit to the size of passive assets, i suspect that there is plenty of capital wasting away all over the world.

i also think there should be tax brackets that extend far further when people go into the extremes, maybe even make passive assets a part of that equation.

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 2:38 pm

no

Burzum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 3:30 pm

You're using government to fix a problem created by government. Instead of applying a quick-fix by limiting how much someone can make, why not fix whatever it is that allows for people to become insanely rich? Removing artificial barriers to entry would be a good start.

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 3:35 pm

No.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2012, 3:35 pm

Burzum wrote:
You're using government to fix a problem created by government. Instead of applying a quick-fix by limiting how much someone can make, why not fix whatever it is that allows for people to become insanely rich? Removing artificial barriers to entry would be a good start.

Make it easier to start businesses, thus allowing for more competition to compete against megacorporations?