Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

invisibubble
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2012, 9:32 am

I often find myself thinking really fast and when I try to speak I can't make a smooth sentence - words are missing, extra words are in there - to an observer its fast and garbled. I also correct as I go along - so I can be halfway through a sentence say a string of words, some of which don't fit, note that that's not what I meant and continue to the end of the sentence. People usually respond with something along the lines of "now in English please" or sometimes just an exasperated facial expression. Sometimes I can do better on the next attempt, sometimes I can't. Does anyone else experience this?

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Mar 2012, 9:37 am

I experience this and it is far worse when I haven't had enough sleep.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 11:04 am

Quite often, more so when there's a lot of thought or emotion behind it. Speaking sometimes is like a foreign language- you have to translate the visual concept in your head to verbal, and sometimes that may not be seamless.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 11:43 am

My history of social interaction, in a nutshell.

But, really, I do this so often that my boyfriend refers to it as my 'speech impediment.' I don't have any trouble with speech/speaking, because I can speak very fluidly when reading aloud or from a script, but when unscripted, my poor mouth can't keep up with my brain.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

ZX_SpectrumDisorder
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 12:15 pm

Sometimes when I'm chatting to someone, just as I'm about to say a word, I'll think of a better one and the original and the new word become merged and I wind up sounding like an idiot.

fragileclover
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 12:26 pm

ZX_SpectrumDisorder wrote:
Sometimes when I'm chatting to someone, just as I'm about to say a word, I'll think of a better one and the original and the new word become merged and I wind up sounding like an idiot.

This EXACTLY.

Diagnosed with AS and Anxiety Disorder - NOS on 03/21/2012

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 12:28 pm

yeah that is a common occurrence with me.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 2:37 pm

It's a processing glitch caused by two or more different thoughts/ideas trying to come out at once, all while also trying to operate the motor neurons responsible for the physical act of speaking. The end result obviously, is garbled communication. This happens to NTs too, but I think people on the spectrum are more prone to this due to our neurological processing problems. Strong emotions would add to the overload, too.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 2:39 pm

Yes, I stutter and stumble over my words on a daily basis because the brain is going far faster than the mouth can keep up.

Onyxaxe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2012, 3:56 pm

ghostar wrote:
I experience this and it is far worse when I haven't had enough sleep.

Ditto

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Mar 2012, 5:09 pm

I have a difficult time mapping out what i want to say and tie it all together beautifully without any awkward interuptions of nervous speech

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Mar 2012, 6:57 pm

I was just about to post something about this. The same thing happens to me and I have been noticing it more and more. Too many thoughts in my brain that I have difficulties forming a coherent verbal sentence. I have to think before I respond to ensure my words come out somewhat right. People seem to have no patience, or think I am "nervous"-which then of course DOES make me nervous because now I am self conscious and it makes it even more difficult for me.

Anyone have a solution?

DC
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 7:34 pm

I ended up in speech therapy as a child because of it.

joejoe1298
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Mar 2012, 9:40 pm

This happens with me. I know what I want to say, and I can think of words that describe what I want to say, but I have a hard time thinking of how I will say it in a complete sentence. Then, the sentence comes out garbled when I speak, so I have to try to correct myself. It seems to take longer for me, than it does for NT's, to think of how I should say and than say a complete sentence.

dobrolvr
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Mar 2012, 8:26 am

On a regular basis

nirrti_rachelle
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 11:20 am

I sometimes wish I could carry an assisted communication device around with me. But since I can speak, people expect me to say my words out loud instead. And when I do, I sometimes sound like I have an intellectual disability even though I'm a grad student. It's like I have the thoughts but I can't translate them into words in real time.

When people read my writing, they're shocked I can write so well. They're like, "You wrote this all by yourself?" I so much want to say, "Of course I did. My degree is in journalism, you twit!" Of course if I actually said that to their faces, I'd be accused of being "rude". :roll: