Congressmen introduce idiotic video game censorship law

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Vexcalibur
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 10:10 pm

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/03/w ... dom-speech

Quote:
But under the proposed law, a label that says "WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior" would be a required addition for all games rated E (Everyone), E10+ (Everyone 10 and older), M (Mature), or A (Adult), regardless of the contents of the game. Only games released with an EC (Early Childhood) rating would be excluded from the labeling requirement. So games like Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 or Carmen Sandiego Adventures in Math would require the warning, but you could get away without for Dora's Ballet Adventure.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

22 Mar 2012, 10:13 pm

these warnings will stop these violent outbursts for sure

:roll:

Pandora_Box
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 10:17 pm

Violent video games do not equal violent behavior. I am so sick and tired of these people stating this. I have been playing rated M game since I was a child. My first M rated game was Quake for the N64 and the PC. And I am not out yelling at people or behaving violently.

Bad child no bad parenting. Parents need to stop blaming the video game on their lousy parenting skills. Yeah, maybe in some violent psychotic sick person they may induce thoughts, but not everyone is like that.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2012, 10:17 pm

Censorship is so unamerican in my opinon I hate censorship wish they would get rid of it.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 10:17 am

Ummm, where's the censorship?

This is an issue of mandatory labelling--which is silly, yes--but I can't see that anyone is talking about deleting content from games.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 10:26 am

really? :roll:

Pondering
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 10:41 am

I bet they don't even play video games. Just old people trying to be part of something, that makes very little sense, but in their minds... its much different. They are doing something. Go grandpa!

TM
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 11:03 am

I don't get this, its the same thing as with steroids. Sure, there are examples of gamers being violent, there are also examples of religious people, anti-abortion people, and just about every other type of person being violent. This is what happens when the governing bodies are 20 years behind everyone else.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 1:19 pm

They can write whatever they like on the box; it doesn't matter to me.
Rockstar is my favorite game maker, and their games are pretty much ALL violent. But they're also incredibly well-made and fun. And guess what - I haven't run down a single pedestrian lately! :D

TM
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 1:25 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
They can write whatever they like on the box; it doesn't matter to me.
Rockstar is my favorite game maker, and their games are pretty much ALL violent. But they're also incredibly well-made and fun. And guess what - I haven't run down a single pedestrian lately! :D

Neither have I, I did beat that one hooker until she disappeared though.... (That last one was a joke)

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 3:16 pm

Oh my, Jack Thompson 2.0...

You will reap what you've sown.

TheDarkMage
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Mar 2012, 4:10 pm

violence related to games is so insignificant its unbelievable. films are far far far worse. religion is probably top of the list for inducing violence.

i dont deny that people can become aggressive over games but those people would get aggressive in an empty room.

abacacus
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2012, 4:34 pm

What DarkMage said. If video games make you violent, then you are unstable and violent to begin with.

You will reap what you've sown.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 9:37 am

Vexcalibur wrote:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/03/warning-exposure-video-game-labeling-laws-may-be-hazardous-freedom-speech

Quote:
But under the proposed law, a label that says "WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior" would be a required addition for all games rated E (Everyone), E10+ (Everyone 10 and older), M (Mature), or A (Adult), regardless of the contents of the game. Only games released with an EC (Early Childhood) rating would be excluded from the labeling requirement. So games like Tiger Woods PGA Tour 13 or Carmen Sandiego Adventures in Math would require the warning, but you could get away without for Dora's Ballet Adventure.

Surely you are not surprised at this insanity. Congressmen have too much free time on their hands. That is why we should have term limits.

ruveyn

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 10:50 am

My guess is that most members of Congress would vote for this law in order to appeal to a certain demographic, not because they really think it's necessary or even helpful.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 2:15 am

Here's an idea... How about actually enforcing the ESRB ratings that are already in place?

That would seem a more productive step than including a strongly-worded statement which is largely at odds with current research.