Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2005, 9:42 am

It seems that being naive and having AS go hand in hand. We have trouble navigating social situations, we take things literally, And we dont understand social cues as well. Before my official diagnosis in 2000, my father told me i was very naive, my stepmother said i was a "handholder" and had to be coddled all the time. My 4th grade teacher suspected AS in 1996 but the formal dx was not made until either march or june of 2000. I had a really messed up year i dont remember that much. Between the meds, hospital stays, school/social troubles (i wa run out of town), and my stepmother wantng me to get out of the house and go back to maine where i am from, I cant recall march or june, maybe even september.

Does anyone think AS and naivete are related?

sparkplugloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Feb 2005, 10:48 am

I am very naive. I do not know whether naivete and AS are related, but I think they could be because since most aspies have difficulties understanding social issues, such as irony, we do not "get" everything.
I am also naive in the sense that I want to please others to make friends. In the past, I have been "used" because of this : back in junior high school, some students had me give them candybars and do their homework.
So I think they could be related, but I would like to read other members' opinions.

thechadmaster
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2005, 9:14 am

I get used all the time and often dont know about it until well after. Back in September, I was used by a girl who i thought was my girlfriend but she only wanted me to get her a different guy, that angered me. Many times i get left "holding the bag" so to speak

Bec
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2005, 1:55 pm

I think that it is easy for a person to be both naive and have AS.

The strange thing is I'm not naive at all. :?

Amajanshi
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 10:04 pm

After past experiences with people, I have become a lot more cynical now.

I think being naive is due to lack of experience, especially social. And we can be easily taken advantage of because of that.

I think one of the good methods to avoid being "naive" to people is to listen carefully to what they're saying, but never believe anything unless you have enough evidence for it to be true. Yes that means you'll become a lot more cynical, but at the same time it helps protect you from being hurt.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2009, 10:06 pm

admitting naïvety is very naïve. Way to go.

30 Dec 2009, 10:15 pm

Lot of aspies are naive. I was very naive growing up. I could easily be taken advantage of. Now I don't trust people anymore and I refuse to do things for them, it usually depends now. Unless I am at work and I am told to do something work related, I do it.

I don't get used much anymore but I got used by my first ex. I don't have many people anymore I am friends with. That could be a big part of it.

But I got taken advantage of a few weeks ago but I think that was more young age related and never being in that experiance before I was in. Next time I will know. If that person threatens to sue me I will say "Go ahead."

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2009, 12:31 am

I find that I'm a very unworldly person. I can be easily taken advantage of, because of my sweet nature. I have a hunch that I'm very naive because I've sheltered myself, during my high school years. I do think that AS has to do with it. I also don't want to hurt anybody, either.

Vivienne
Toucan
Toucan

31 Dec 2009, 12:39 am

To be naive means you believe what you are told without question.

Most people tell lies, half-truths, or speak sarcastically, with euphemisms, or generally non-literally.

If you automatically believe anything you're told, without considering the alternative contexts, meanings, and hidden agendas; then yes, you would be considered naive.

"Be plain, good son, and homely in thy drift;
Riddling confession finds but riddling shrift"
~Shakespeare