Are most Homosexuals Atheists and Non Religious ?

Page 3 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2012, 10:58 am

mikecartwright wrote:
Are most Homosexuals Atheists and Non Religious ? I ask this since you can't be a Homosexual Jew or a Homosexual Christian and or a Homosexual Muslim. The God of Abraham hates Homosexuality and Homosexuals and the Gay Lifestyle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_of_Abraham

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrahamic_religions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_and_homosexuality

Actually it was the monotheists writing a preaching in the name of G-D that produced the anti-homosexual doctrine.

We do not know (1) if God exists and (2) even if God does exist, we have no really firm idea of what It is thinking.

ruveyn

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 3:19 am

Furthermore, theologically speaking, no Christian should ever quote the Old Testament and insist it means what they say it means. Old Testament is the Torah, and Jewish folks have been deciphering its meaning with far more scholarly rigor and for a lot longer than Christianity has.

New Testament? there's some argument there. But Old? You should shut up and listen to what Jewish Scholars have to say on the meaning. Because they had it first. And wrote it. And have devoted a lot more time and intellect parsing it's meanings than some bigoted televangelist.

artrat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2012, 8:12 pm

Jesus loves homosexuals and I really mean loves. :wink:

"I belive in God, only I spell it Nature."
~ Frank Llyod Wright

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 1:05 am

artrat wrote:

You mean like this?

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 1:15 pm

artrat wrote:

I could say something equally crass, but you're already there...

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 1:16 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
well, back to the Original post.

The answer to the question "are gays religious, or non religous?" is that according to scripture we are all sinners.

Homosexuality is just one more in the endless list of sins.

There are religious liars, fornicators, and mafia hitmen. So why wouldnt there be religious homosexuals as well?

Very true. And insightful.

visagrunt
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 1:48 pm

Assuming that we are restricting our discussion to humans, I would have thought that it would be painfully self-evident that there is only one thing that "most" homosexuals are: homosexual.

In theory the number of gay men and the number of lesbians are not equal, so there might be more of one than another. But until you can draw a rigid line between homosexuality and bisexuality and until you can come up with a classfication standard for intersexed people, I'm not even comfortable with a claim that, "most" homosexuals are male.

Are we less likely to be religious? Well, before you start playing with statistics, I think that you have to normalize for age. After all, higher levels of participation in weekly religious services are found among older age cohorts; but higher levels of self-identification as homosexual are found among young adult cohorts. And, of course, these are only proxies, anyway, since there are plenty of religious people who don't attend worship services, and we all know plenty of closet cases who are well and truly homosexual but who would never self-identify.

So, it's all a bit of a mug's game.

AstroGeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 2:14 pm

visagrunt wrote:
Are we less likely to be religious? Well, before you start playing with statistics, I think that you have to normalize for age. After all, higher levels of participation in weekly religious services are found among older age cohorts; but higher levels of self-identification as homosexual are found among young adult cohorts. And, of course, these are only proxies, anyway, since there are plenty of religious people who don't attend worship services, and we all know plenty of closet cases who are well and truly homosexual but who would never self-identify.

Wouldn't you also have to take into account the fact that gay-friendly churches are becoming more prevalent? So whereas an older generation may have felt alienated from religion, a younger generation would have an easier time finding an accepting church (or synagogue, or possibly even mosque). In any case, you are right. It is an extremely difficult thing to measure.

Billybones
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Mar 2012, 2:37 pm

I'm gay & atheist & speak only for myself. The major problem isn't the intolerance that almost all religions heap on LGBTs, bad as that is. For me the problem with religion is simply that I don't believe it. Perhaps I'm too trapped in a rationalist, materialist mindset, but I've never seen the universe in terms of deities, spirits, supernaturalism & divinely ordained reward & punishment.

It has nothing to do with being gay, though in retrospect, becoming atheist may have had something to do with Aspie contrarianism - I'm not one who naturally gets his thoughts & opinions in line with those of his peers.

Of course, as an Aspie I've had to learn even the most basic social skills that seem to come naturally to NTs. In that regard, I'm careful never to denigrate another person's faith. But one social skill that I've never been able to learn, & never cared to learn, is the ability to smile in the face of insult. So even if I were inclined to reevaluate my stance toward religion, I fail to see why I should embrace a belief system that appears to offer only damnation & isolation.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2012, 3:35 pm

Hmm am I the only one who finds most of the threads by the OP to be stirry the pot or a personal attack.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 11:49 am

Joker wrote:
Hmm am I the only one who finds most of the threads by the OP to be stirry the pot or a personal attack.

No, that's an accurate assessment. He doesn't seem to be returning to them much.

Billybones wrote:
I'm gay & atheist & speak only for myself. The major problem isn't the intolerance that almost all religions heap on LGBTs, bad as that is. For me the problem with religion is simply that I don't believe it.

Likewise - though I don't consider my lack of belief a problem!
But there is a factor from intolerance - not everyone who is gay will accept it. Some take a while to come out, or perhaps never do, and religion can encourage this. They prefer to "pray away the gay" - this doesn't actually work, and tends to lead to celibacy more than heterosexuality, but when feeling they have to choose between their faith and their sexuality, some people choose faith. It's not a choice they'd have to make if the intolerance of homosexuality wasn't there in the first place.

HDLMatchette
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2015, 12:39 am

i think gays who become atheists because their "christian" families treated their sexuality like a disease should check out an organization called Believe Out Loud. it's a pro-SSM christian organization.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 7:16 pm

shrox wrote:
Yes, the old law has passed away, the love and forgiveness of Jesus replaces it.

Yeah, like the love and forgiveness given to Gay marriage proponents or those who want religion out of government????

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2015, 7:23 pm

..Hm .