24 Mar 2012, 1:18 pm

and they are in very high demand,

the scent of the tamarillo is pungent and powerfull,
woe be to the nose who nears it.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 1:55 pm

I was tempted but then I thought about it - what would you actually use it for?

shyguy2012
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2012, 10:07 am

Greetings,

I almost bought one. I went with Beagle Bone. Currently run backtrack 5 arm for wireless sniffing.

Clayton

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 4:39 pm

I will use it to sell some of my possessions on ebay, and allay the cost upon my current financial embarassment.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 2:07 am

Sounds delicious. Could I get a slice?

Moridin8
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2012, 5:30 am

Madbones wrote:
Hey!
Any one got one yet?
Im going to order mine soon! :D
What are you doing with yours?

*when* they become more available... I am TOTALLY getting one *g*...

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 4:59 pm

My university is going to order a bunch of them and sell them to the engineering students. I'm looking forward to it; when I finally get my hands on one, I'll hook it up to the television and use it for DosBox and 16 bit console emulators. :D

Heather2001
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Apr 2012, 1:26 pm

Pi. :D I see what they did there.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2012, 3:09 am

Bump, I got one off Element14, the B spec with the Ethernet. I spent last night getting stuff to work. Put the standard Raspian image on it, then had to do a bunch of tweaking. Nice to be fiddling with Debian again.
I even managed to get onto Facebook using it and make an update but the web browser is pretty slow of course being low power, and it often gets CPU bound (a nice little touch on the desktop is a task manager like CPU window). To get youtube going I had to put Iceweasel on (Firefox in all but name) and then access youtube HTML5 content as there is no Flash support, apparently thats to do with it running an ARM processor and there being no code or somesuch thing..

I'm going to boot another image tonight and try one of those OSs that are stripped back and just have a mediaplayer, Raspbmc.
Really though I'm interested in using it for other things not as a desktop.

Quite cool though so far, I like its so cheap, I like it has interfaces for things, I like that you can overclock the CPU, Ram and GPU, just by speccing the speeds in a config file etc.

rash
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Aug 2012, 6:33 pm

I've had one for about a month now, but sadly only had time to put the raspian image on a couple of 8GB class 10 cards, boot it up and mooch around a bit. I have installed a few of my fave packages too, and am planning to port some other things over to ARM when I find the time.

Trouble is that I have loads of ideas for uses, and kind of know that I am going to waste weeks fiddling around :-) and I see them as being quite disruptive in some respects so they are very appealing little boards!

Bit annoying that the specs are not as good as boards you can buy that are for generic tablets - there is the gooseberry for example, which are very impressive, and around the same price. I guess there won't be as big a community working with them though which is useful for support/inspiration etc

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2012, 5:55 pm

Have one on order from Farnell, though I had to order a new television as well as none of my monitors have DVI (except for the display unit for the kitchen computer which is pointless) and my existing television is based on technology from the dark ages so naturally would lack HDMI input.

I have prepared 2 4GB SD cards, one contains Raspbian, and one contains an old favourite of mine, RISC OS, so plenty to play with.

They've also revised the board so I may end up getting one of the revised boards, but now to see what arrives first, the TV and HDMI cable, or the Raspberry Pi.

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years

largosan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Sep 2012, 7:14 pm

I don't know what I could do with a $25-$35 raspberry pi that I could not do with old laptops that I got for free because no one wants them...

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Sep 2012, 12:05 pm

I really wanted a Pi for the longest time..... Now not so much. Took to long for them to drop them.

Now I want an Odroid-X.

Quad core, 6 USB, HDMI, uses 5v @ 2A, 90 x 94 mm...... $129

Link to product page.

Yes I know it's more money, but it's quad core and it will run Andoid ICS and JB as well as the latest and greatest Ubuntu.

I want to order a box of them.

Pikachu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Sep 2012, 5:56 am

My Raspberry Pi arrived this morning, it is a new revision of the board that is built here in the UK, not had the chance to fire it up yet as I still don't have a display to connect it up to.

Allegedly away with the fairies for 6-7 years