A question for Atheists would you ban or outlaw Religion if

Page 9 of 9 [ 140 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2012, 6:00 pm

ruveyn wrote:
abacacus wrote:

Do you say the same of people who bring up their children with frequent beatings?

Physical abuse is one thing. Taking the kids to church is another.

ruveyn

Physical abuse... Existential abuse... two sides of the same coin.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Apr 2012, 6:06 pm

USMCnBNSFdude wrote:
fragileclover wrote:
mikecartwright wrote:
America was founded on Christianity therefor Gay Marriage should be illegal in America.

The founding fathers were deists, not Christians. A deist believes in a God, but not in religion.

That's not entirely true. While many of their personal beliefs differed from actual church teachings, almost all of them were still officially affiliated with a Christian denomination, the only real exceptions being Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson; the latter still referred to himself as a "christian".

Sorry if this was out of place at all.

They loved Jesus the way Napoleon <3 Mohammed. These people didn't believe, they were playing roles. They were simply deists or atheists that felt the need to participate in religion to get votes and be connected. Our founders were anti-religion all the way, but they knew that in order to get enough people to colonize and contribute to a fast growing society they would need to bring peace to warring factions... In essence... they wanted to leave the wars in Europe when they came here and just be free of religious rule. I often wonder what literature is passed down in the lineages of the actual founding fathers. I'd love to read it. The journals of first Americans.

Shadewraith
Toucan
Toucan

19 Apr 2012, 2:45 am

I wouldn't ban or outlaw religion, but I'd separate it from public schools and politics. Religion is a lot of like alcohol to me. I don't like it, but I don't have a problem with it. Just don't go pouring it down my throat.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Apr 2012, 9:39 am

Shadewraith wrote:
I wouldn't ban or outlaw religion, but I'd separate it from public schools and politics. Religion is a lot of like alcohol to me. I don't like it, but I don't have a problem with it. Just don't go pouring it down my throat.

I am definitely going to have to write a cheap book detailing the ills of religion and why it must be separated from the reality of Atheism.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2012, 5:23 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Nope, though I think we should keep religion out of the legal policies instead of using it as an excuse to keep things like gay marriage illegal.

Agreed.