Page 1 of 5 [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 3:33 pm

Am I the only person on the planet who doesn't understand what the fuss behind that girl is? Tons of other women are way better looking, I don't really get the deal.

I might just be a cultural barbarian but what the heck...

Sorry for trolling...

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

24 Mar 2012, 4:08 pm

LOL! You're not trolling at all! That's what I think too.
The widely accepted reason is that evolutionarily, men prefer women with hourglass figures because it is an indication of fertility (wider hips are good for bearing children).

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 4:21 pm

My daughter went as her for Halloween. She's even got that white dress like in the famous picture. She's got short blonde hair so I did her hair into that do. Her fiance borrowed a suit from my husband and went as JFK. He was looking for a throwback baseball uniform so he could go as Joe DiMaggio, but couldn't find one.

I think the big deal about Marilyn was the in your face sexuality that she gave off. Before that, sexuality was somewhat less obvious.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 4:46 pm

The Twiggy mania in the late 1960s twisted the female beauty ideal into an anorexic, adolescent stick figure. That's why Marilyn looks a bit pudgy by today's standards, even though she had a perfect figure and was the beauty ideal of her time. Men in previous centuries preferred fuller, more voluptuous figures as well, judging by their paintings and statues.

Edited to add: Another factor is probably that Marylin's photos are not photoshopped, unlike the images of similar looking pop icons such as Madonna or Gwen Stefani.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:04 pm

Thank You! Somebody who doesn't care for Marylin Monroe! I don't understand why everybody worships her. She had no acting talent. People complain about the way women are perceived in the media and how they dress and stuff yet they have no problem worshiping somebody like Marylin Monroe. It's usually the same people as well. If I had to look up to an actress of that time I'd probably choose somebody like Audrey Hepburn at least she was cultured, her acting was good and she knew how to act sexy without throwing it all into your face. She was also intelligent and she helped out in WW2. She actually had talent, beauty and brains.

Audrey Hepburn WW2

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:06 pm

Hey! That's my wife you people are talking about

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:11 pm

lostgirl1986 wrote:
Thank You! Somebody who doesn't care for Marylin Monroe! I don't understand why everybody worships her. She had no acting talent. People complain about the way women are perceived in the media and how they dress and stuff yet they have no problem worshiping somebody like Marylin Monroe. It's usually the same people as well. If I had to look up to an actress of that time I'd probably choose somebody like Audrey Hepburn at least she was cultured, her acting was good and she knew how to act sexy without throwing it all into your face. She was also intelligent and she helped out in WW2. She actually had talent, beauty and brains.

Audrey Hepburn WW2

Yeah I was about to feature Audrey as one of the better examples of that time but you preceded me.

And @ the people who think I like anorexic sticks only, you couldn't be any wronger!

But yeah I'm willing to bet that people who admire MM would probably admire hollywood wrecks like Jennifer Lopez and Mariah Carey too (whom I think fall into an even worse category than MM).

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:13 pm

On Mad Men, they said that women were either a "Marilyn" or an "Audry".

I do think that Audry was prettier than Marilyn though. My oldest daughter has gotten into watching some of the old Hepburn movies now because I mentioned that the kind of cigarette holder she uses is like the one from Breakfast At Tiffanies. She just wanted one about a year ago because she doesn't like that cigarettes make her hands smell the way they do after smoking, so she bought one of those long ones. She actually uses it every time she smokes. People comment on it and several of her friends have actually ordered one from where she got hers. She's starting a trend now.

Last edited by OliveOilMom on 24 Mar 2012, 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrimmRomance
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Mar 2012, 5:17 pm

Personally I love Marilyn Monroe. I love her sensitivity, her incredible intelligence, her troubled soul, her talent and her extremes.
She was a fascinating character.

As for her looks; there is nothing there for me not to like. Her curves were and are legendary.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:17 pm

I also like Audrey Hepburn a lot better. She had nicer features and more class.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:18 pm

Know who I didn't like? Mia Farrow. I never saw what was supposed to be so pretty about her. I didn't think she looked pretty at all in "Rosemary's Baby" either.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:22 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Mia Farrow

Excuse me for being a cultural waste but who is that?

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 5:27 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Know who I didn't like? Mia Farrow. I never saw what was supposed to be so pretty about her. I didn't think she looked pretty at all in "Rosemary's Baby" either.

It's called paedomorphism, the retention of infantile or juvenile facial features in adults. Mia Farrow had these big, far set eyes, a small mouth, and a high forehead, which is the recipe for infantile cuteness. In adults, this kind of cuteness is a bit creepy, imho. Summer Glau is an even more extreme example.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 8:56 pm

Uprising wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
Mia Farrow

Excuse me for being a cultural waste but who is that?

She was in Rosemary's Baby, she was also Woody Allen's wife that he left and married their adopted daughter.

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 9:01 pm

Summer Glau was perfectly cast In Fireflies....creepy, and fascinating!
Audrey Hepburn worked with the Underground as a teenager in WW2, risking her life repeatedly to help Allied prisoners. She also went through periods of near-starvation. She was a unique, remarkable woman who spent her last years publicizing the suffering of children in impoverished countries.

Sylkat

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2012, 9:13 pm

I've never really understood what all the fuss is about :?