Dont mind 15%  15%  [ 23 ]
Dislike 28%  28%  [ 42 ]
Hate 45%  45%  [ 68 ]
Total votes : 150

TheHouseholdCat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 5:13 pm

My main problem with clothes shopping is that every piece of clothing needs to have a certain value for myself as a person. Which is not the way you're "supposed" to buy clothes. Of course, it's not very practical because there'll always be a time when you need something new.

"It's how they see things. It's a way of bringing class to an environment, and I say that pejoratively because, obviously, good music is good music however it's created, however it's motivated." - Thomas Newman

Cogs
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2012, 6:06 pm

WildMan wrote:
Cogs wrote:
Wow, are the styles clear - is it easy to determine what the expectations are?

To be sure, I'm probably exaggerating. But it is true that the Italians and the French are the two best-dressed people in all of Europe, and probably all the world. With that said, here are things that I can tell you (most of which are not obvious to most Americans aside from fancy Manhattan people and the like):

1. Rule number one. Make sure it fits. Try on 12 pairs of jeans if you have to, and buy the pair that fits perfectly. They don't have to painfully compress your junk, but at the same time there should be no sag or bag at all. Form-fitting, but not form-crushing. Make sure everything is your exact size. It's not enough to know what number/size you are, you must always try things on! Always!! ! Eight pairs of jeans of the exact same brand and size can each fit you differently. Always remember this.

And if you buy a suit, for the love of God make sure you get it as precisely tailored as possible by an actual tailor. Don't buy American dress shirts either unless it says "athletic cut" or "slim fit" on the label. (Even if you're not slim.) Buy Italian dress shirts in Italy to be safe. The default American dress shirt looks like a plastic shopping bag to European eyes, and not just to the Italians. A dress shirt should be form fitting, even if you've got a big ol' gut and flabby arms (though in that case, skin tight wouldn't do).

2. Shoes. They will notice your shoes. American men are seen as having chunky shoes that look too big for their feet. Go for sleek and form-fitting instead. And don't wear crappy white sneakers. Nothing will mark you as an American tourist faster than a pair of crappy white sneakers. Combined with a baseball cap, a college football sweatshirt, and a fanny pack, and you'll be a living walking stereotype. And don't wear white socks!

As for dress shoes. They must be sleek. They must be form-fitting. Bulbous toes, chunky soles, cheap crappy leather = no no no!! ! When in doubt, go with black (unless you're wearing a brown suit).

3. Make sure your colors don't clash. Italians play it safe, whereas the French are more daring. In Italy, you just can't go wrong with a navy blue suit, a light blue dress shirt, and a subtly patterned dark blue tie (make sure it's proper silk!). That's the standard businessman/politician look in Italy. Pair that with black dress shoes, or tan (or light brown) dress shoes if you feel like it, and make sure it's all properly fitted, and you're in business.

As for going casual. You can brighten it up, but be careful. Today I bought a purple hoodie from H&M. (It's straight up bright purple, it's not faded or textured weird or anything, it's just like... purple!! !) I usually wear all black, and it went with the rest of my (black) outfit perfectly while complimenting my skin tone (I pass as southern Italian here; I live in the north). I love it! I'm so glad I got it. (I tried it on to make sure it fit perfectly before buying it.) Also, in the colder months Italians of either gender are fond of wearing bright red coats/jackets on top of dark/black outfits. It's a bold look but you're still playing it safe; when they wear bright bold colors they tend to go with solids as opposed to patterns.

Learn those three rules and you'll go far.

Thanks for the reply :D

KaleyS
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Aug 2019, 7:17 am

I prefer buying clothes online. I chose several brands that I like most of all, so I just monitor the sites from time to time and buy stuff there. Also I use (this brand is in great demand and it is not easy to buy everything I want on its website). What brand do you like most of all?

Last edited by B19 on 14 Nov 2019, 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.: spammer

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 9:10 am

I like it now that I have actual social events that I can wear new clothes to and I can take myself to a clothing store.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2019, 7:59 pm

Crossdresser

Hard to find women's sizes in boys section

$$$$

Sensory overload

Smell of department store

Don't want to go to men's or women's dressing room

Gaining weight

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2019, 5:03 pm

I get almost all my clothes from thrift stores, which is much less stressful for me than going to department stores.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 5:05 pm

I love clothes shopping, though I get everything except socks, underwear and accessories made to measure now.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 7:53 pm

I love clothes shopping now that I have figured out how to buy clothes that fit me really well. :D

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 9:33 pm

It's a chore, but not too bad. It probably helps that I have no fashion sense. Durability, ecological footprint and warmth are easier to evaluate. For a long time, I had to spend about a day every year looking for shoes that fit. When I found some cheap ones that did, I bought ten pair. Then I got lucky with Sketchers, which I like for the low weight, and last better, etc. My other clothes are almost all bought at thrift stores. Whenever I have time on a day in the city, I'll have a quick look at any rack I might want something from. It took me four years to find a perfect windbreaker for cycling, but I got a new-looking $65 item for $12.
One of these days, though, I am going to use permanent marker and deface the pants section with some yardsticks to hold the merchandise up to.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 10:10 pm

When I needed raiment when out on the town
I bought at a Goodwill with least payment down.
They're frugal, they're used, they're OK for the earth--
I used to shop just like this since my birth.

But that was a problem: first, shopping is hell,
And most old casts-offs just don't fit very well.
My best togs were threadbare, the rest didn't fit.
Said I to myself, "let us change this a bit!"

No bathing-trunks now, for I don't own a pool,
No more baseball caps--I don't look like a tool.
Loud T-shirts with logos I no longer wear,
And it has been years since I donned underwear.

Yes, that's a true fact--what I have must swing free,
So trousers that fit are important to me.
Please do not recoil at this information:
High-waisteds with braces improves their locations.

And under each white linen shirt that I wear,
A plain cotton T-shirt must cover the bare.
The guy did without them in Some Like It Hot.
But he's Marlon Brando, and me? I am not.

Accessories? Nice. No, you do not need spats.
However, you won't look complete with no hats.
Felt? Woolen? or Sennet? Depends on the clime.
Relax, you can only wear one at a time.

A jacket of woolens or linens is needed,
They've wonderful pockets, so items unheeded
Like keys, money, jack-knives, can quickly be found,
And not end up missing some place on the ground.

To finish things off under that, wear a vest.
If wearing a watch and a chain, it is best.
To bring tears of pleasure to bystanders' eyes,
Pick out something good from your favorite ties.

These clothes get expensive. But take this one tid-bit:
You really don't need but a couple of outfits.
Should prices prevent you--perhaps you lack wealth,
Break out your old Singer and sew them yourself!

Ah yes, for an Aspie, I'm doing just fine
In garments cut true to Edwardian lines.
Perhaps all these clothes would be too much for you.
Some days in the heat, they're too much for me too.

But there's one caveat that you should remember,
So in the hot summer you're cool as December.
There will be those people who start a commotion.
They wear logo shirts. They're just walking promotions.

(I can't pull it off all the time but I'm gradually working my wardrobe to a 1905-1930s level and it is the perfect duds for this Aspie man. I never knew that clothing could be one of my special interests but I do find it interesting. Yes, I recently rebuilt a 1952 Singer 99 sewing machine (it looks like a small version of the classic cast-iron Singer) and do plan to make my own clothing with it, remodeling older fabrics if I must. It's fun, and the clothing feels great!)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 10:28 pm

Hate it. Hate that the industry for women's clothing likes to pretend that all women are 18 years old and weigh 97 lbs. Hate trying on clothes in dressing rooms. Hate that I have no clue on what to shop for without my mother. She once even said I'm worse than my father when it comes to clothes shopping.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 11:02 pm

I don't like shopping for clothes. The only places that I'll shop for clothes are Value Village, Talize and Amazon. I can't stand brick and mortar clothing stores. I prefer an androgynous look.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2019, 11:18 pm

i don't know how buying clothing online can be anything but a crapshoot. :scratch: nevertheless, i took a chance, when none of the local stores had what i needed in constructing my "God suit" - and ordered around on Amazon. got me a white shirt, jacket, belt, slacks, socks and shoes. even got a white hat. :D hadda have the pants taken in as they don't make clothing that fits tall and skinny, i have found. other than that, i seldom shop for clothing, i just don't need too much clothing as i am a hermit. :alien:

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 2:46 am

I won't use Amazon until they offer me a chance to buy a 5-minute break for the unfortunate cyborg who packs my order, and do a better job of not buying from slave labour. I won't order from any other on-line store because they have probably been bought by Amazon, but they are now shipping factory seconds and making it not worth the hassle to get your money back.
@ Auntblabby - condolences on the loss of the master recordings in a big fire at Decca (?) I just heard about it. However, can you recommend an MP3 player? I have four new ones that won't play a list at random, always starting at the beginning when turned on.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2019, 2:55 am

Dear_one wrote:
I won't use Amazon until they offer me a chance to buy a 5-minute break for the unfortunate cyborg who packs my order, and do a better job of not buying from slave labour. I won't order from any other on-line store because they have probably been bought by Amazon, but they are now shipping factory seconds and making it not worth the hassle to get your money back.
@ Auntblabby - condolences on the loss of the master recordings in a big fire at Decca (?) I just heard about it. However, can you recommend an MP3 player? I have four new ones that won't play a list at random, always starting at the beginning when turned on.

am no expert in MP3 players but i recommend the one i use, a phillips 8Gb Vibe unit which has a user-configurable 5-band EQ [very few in its price range offer that, instead of eq presets] which can make crappy headphones sound a bit less crappy. it cost me less than $50 and i've been using it for several years now. it does have a random feature but i haven't used that part of it. a caveat, like any small flea-powered MP3 player, you NEED high-efficiency headphones to get any volume out of it, so forget about 300 ohm or even 75-150 ohm cans, concentrate your efforts at finding a <75 ohm headphone to pair with it. the sony A10 megabass cans [foldable into your pocket] fit the bill but they are hard to find, were flimsily constructed and prone to breakage. but no other headphones i've found would play as loud.

CerealKiller
Butterfly
Butterfly

12 Aug 2019, 4:45 am

I only go clothes shopping when I absolutely have to: ie for a job interview, because I have gained/lost weight or my current jeans are broken.

Tshirts (like in band tshirt) I can buy online.

I hate clothes shops they are full of females, noise, very bright, i never find anything that fits /does not itch and I always leave feeling disgusted with my body and the general population.

100% do not recommend :lol: