Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sampson
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Nov 2006, 2:56 pm

Hi, I am 34 years old and only found out 2 yrs ago that I probably have AS. I just wanted to know if you think being honest and telling a girl you are dating is a good or bad idea.

Sampson

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 3:02 pm

I've questioned this and I think it wouldn't be a good idea. One reason is that it comes off as a disease more then a form of life. Its got stereotype written all over it, unfortunately, at least in my opinion it does when you actually examine the words:
"I have Aspergers 'syndrome'"

Not unless it was coming to a breaking point would I say anything. If the reason she wanted to break was because something I wasn't doing.

Corvus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 3:03 pm

Or, you could tell her the better side:

"I have this condition that causes me to think a bit harder, focus a bit more on decisions, and enjoy some personal interests. I am creative and intelligent."

sociable_hermit
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 4:34 pm

It might help if she knew, assuming you are already close enough to discuss fairly tricky subjects.

Don't assume it'll change the way she does things, though. Either you're compatible or you aren't.

The only thing I ever say is, "Tell me if I'm being a fathead" cos sometimes I do get carried away. That's helpful for everyone, not just me. Some people can't be that honest, though.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2006, 4:44 pm

I think Corvus is right. MANY don't even understand that a syndrome is merely a collection of symptoms given a name rather than a disease, etc...

AS people are apparantly all over the charts, and this forum necessarily would have only the better examples. Still, even here, they are apparantly all over the charts.

Steve

JaredGTALover
Toucan
Toucan

21 Sep 2017, 3:00 pm

Sampson wrote:
Hi, I am 34 years old and only found out 2 yrs ago that I probably have AS. I just wanted to know if you think being honest and telling a girl you are dating is a good or bad idea.

Sampson

bad idea,man.don't tell her

Stoic0209
Raven
Raven

22 Sep 2017, 10:15 am

I wouldn't disclose, simply because most people don't understand what Autism or Asperger's are. Wait, give it time, drop little things here and there as you need to ("I'm not too good around large crowds and loud noises, I have trouble with speech procesing, etc.") but don't tell them that you have Autism or Asperger's. That's something to disclose after months, maybe years.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Sep 2017, 10:35 am

I wouldn't up front. Maybe after you reach a certain level of seriousness and you're past the point of scaring her away. They're is the possibility she might be hurt if you don't tell her and she finds out down the road. "How could you keep such a big part of yourself secret from me!" In many of the books I read where there is a couple where one has an ASD and the other does not when the partner without finds out it often explains many things they were struggling with. They come to understand and the relationship improves. In one, and I understand this is common in those with an ASD, the wife didn't feel loved because her husband didn't always tell her he loved her, and did not make romantic gestures. But he was always doing things for her. Making her lunch, etc. He was SHOWING her he loved her, but she didn't understand. But those are just books. I have no personal experience to offer, I don't date

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 6:34 am

I've been with my boyfriend for 3 years and I haven't told him I have ASD. I don't think he knows much about autism, and what he does know about autism are probably common stereotypes that I haven't got. I tell him I have ADHD though, because there's no hiding that :lol: . But ASD is more complex than ADHD.
I feel my ASD only affects me the most in the workplace.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 6:44 am

I don't feel it's necessary to disclose. Aspergers/Autism is not contagious.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 6:46 am

No. Bad idea.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 11:17 am

I see no problem in being honest. The only time you're undatable as an autistic more so depends on your lvl of independence rather then your actual diagnosis. I knew quiet a fell fellow autistics who's parents were really strict and even a guy who had a crush on me who I wouldn't even touch with a 10 foot pole because of how overbearing his mom was o-o So yea, its not about the diagnosis its about the independence and maturity lvl. Because as we know some of us as a result of having strict "autism parents" can be very immature for our age and lack a certain lvl of independence as a result of too much sheltering

SplendidSnail
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 2:44 pm

As long as you're dating, I'd say no, no need to disclose.

If you actually were to start talking about marriage, I'd say not only do you need to disclose, but she's got to understand exactly what it is. As aspies, we can be pretty good at faking it, and when dating, there's an enormous incentive to fake it correctly. But it's not something that can be done 100% of the time for an entire lifetime.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 3:20 pm

SteveK wrote:
I think Corvus is right. MANY don't even understand that a syndrome is merely a collection of symptoms given a name rather than a disease, etc...

That's why I don't tell girlfriends I have AIDS...I mean it's only a collection of symptoms.

soloha
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Sep 2017, 4:24 pm

Chichikov wrote:
SteveK wrote:

That's why I don't tell girlfriends I have AIDS...I mean it's only a collection of symptoms.

Lmao...I love your posts. You are SUCH a troll...though it appears one with a mission to provoke thinking...

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 4:30 pm

soloha wrote:
Chichikov wrote:
SteveK wrote:

Lmao...I love your posts. You are SUCH a troll...though it appears one with a mission to provoke thinking...

Me too! I want to see what this guy is like in person :lol: .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine