No 48%  48%  [ 11 ]
Too Young 26%  26%  [ 6 ]
Too Old 9%  9%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 23

Einfari
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 9:52 pm

I'm a junior in high school this year and as a lot of upperclassmen know, it is almost time for prom. I could honestly care less about the dance but I'm still excited for prom. I'm in the prom committee so I get to design the prom theme and hand out invitations. I can't wait to see how it works out. The other part about prom that I'm excited for is dress shopping. I love trying on different dresses and it is the only girly thing that I like to do. Sometimes it is fun to deviate from looking like a jock who wears mostly sweatshirts, t-shirts and jeans. I also to to model prom dresses for a prom project at my school next Wednesday. I can't wait to try on different dresses so that I can figure out what I like to wear. Last of all, prom will be the last fun school organized activity that I get to spend with my good friends before going off to college next year. I don't have a date, but I plan to get together with a group of friends and go to prom. Going with a group is less stressful anyways.

For fellow WP members. What are your plans for prom? Are you going with a date, friends, or not at all? Say anything you want about prom here.

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

29 Mar 2012, 10:11 pm

I've had my prom plans made for several months now. I knew who I was going with and what I was going to wear. But this annoying (but probably worth it) thing called MIT Campus Preview Weekend popped up, so I can't go to prom anymore. Which sucks because I'm a senior and have never gone before. I've even figured out how I was going to ask him to prom. Of course, he knew we were going together, but now that I can't go, he can't go either, because he isn't friends or even acquaintances with any other girls in the school. :cry:

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

29 Mar 2012, 11:29 pm

A senior recently asked me to go to prom with him... I declined.

Don't get me wrong, the guy was cute, it's just... NO THANK YOU!! !! !

USMCnBNSFdude
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2012, 11:55 pm

I can't imagine myself at a prom in any other position besides a dateless, sullen punk standing in the corner.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 2:15 am

The whole prom thing has changed so much since I was a teenager.

My oldest daughter is a senior this year and she's really looking forward to her prom. She's bought her dress and her shoes already and now just needs a purse and jewelry and to get her roots touched up. Prom dresses are NOT what they were when I went. We both got green dresses, and thats the end of the similarities lol.

Hers is a dark green silky fabric, short, close fitting and strapless. It's this lightly shimmery stuff. It's really pretty on her and she paid a lot for it (she didnt tell me how much it was, she said I didn't want to know - she knows my shopping habits) The shoes are bronze and open toed zip backs and the highest heels I've ever seen. She looks great in the outfit, it sounds over the top, but it's not. Her fiance is renting a tux for the occasion, just a plain regular black one, and they are taking his sisters Escalade or whatever that Caddy SUV is. I don't know what they are going to do afterwards, I don't know if they have plans yet or what.

When I went, I didn't go to my prom because I went to a private Baptist school and we didn't have proms. Dancing was a "sin". I went to my boyfriends prom with him though. It was 1981. I had a long, mint green chiffon dress. It had a short train that I could pin up as a bustle. It was off the shoulder and a sort of antebellum style. I had light green silk shoes with medium heels and I didn't carry a purse. He wore a rented mint green tux with a green tie and a ruffled even lighter green shirt. I got a green coursage. We went in my car and after the prom we went to the bar his mother worked at and she served us champagne even though we were under age. It was his first drink and the drinking age was 19 then. I had long hair and had used the hot rollers and about two cans of hairspray on it. I wore frosted mint green eyeshadow, frosted pink lipstick and frosted pink nail polish.

I bet my daughter and her fiance look much more grown up and much better than my date and I did!

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

zzmondo
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 6:52 pm

My school is small, we just call our "proms" dances. My junior class this year hosted the dance this year. I didn't dance but it was a success and everybody enjoyed it and I played poker with some people (we used chips we didn't bet actual money). A friend and I played till one of us would have run out of chips and that was pretty interesting :lol:

Barefoot_Boy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

30 Mar 2012, 10:30 pm

I'm not going to the prom this year.

John Greenleaf Whittier

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2012, 10:32 pm

I did not go last year when I was a senior. Which I now think I squandered a memory I could have had. I am pretty sure there was a girl that liked me in one of my classes (she was VERY shy) but I was infatuated with a different girl so I didn't care.

TomboHikoki
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Mar 2012, 6:09 am

I'm currently a high school senior who claims that she doesn't mind school dances. Well, I usually say that because I love many of the traditions and activities associated with such events. I rarely hang out with my friends, so I love eating dinner with them, especially if it involves dressing up. My inner attention whore also enjoys the compliments I'll receive on my outfit from those acquaintances whom I haven't caught up with in a while.

Not everything is as enjoyable about the events, though; it annoys me how they peer pressure you into finding a date, not to mention that the dances themselves make it impossible to even have a conversation with your group. And that's before you even go into how your classmates will dance there; as a student who works on her high school's publications, it's almost impossible to find a professionally-shot group picture that doesn't contain someone grinding up against a girl's butt. But hey; I'm a prude, so I don't think I'm the best person to ask... D:

Long story short, I do plan to go to my senior Prom. After all, I've only spent about $110 of my own money on two different dresses (one being a peachy vintage gown from the 1950s that clashes with my paleness). I'm unsure if I'll have a date (the one guy whom I know would ask me for sure all ready has a girl friend and is a sophomore, but there's some senior guy whom I'm not as close to that gives me the faintest inkling that he may ask...but I've been wrong plenty of times before), but I'm certain that I can make plans with my girl friends if worst comes to worst.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 2:42 pm

We don't have Prom where I am from, or at least at my school.

MichaelaB
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Apr 2012, 12:10 pm

I'd have nobody to dance with, let alone even know how to dance...

bcousins
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:00 am

Einfari wrote:
For fellow WP members. What are your plans for prom? Are you going with a date, friends, or not at all? Say anything you want about prom here.

I'm not at school, So I based my answer on what I did with my Year 10 (grade 10 in America) Formal.

I simply skipped it. Everyone that did go, Got food poisoning. No Loss

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2012, 7:37 pm

I wouldn't consider going probably, because I don't know how to dance, don't have the social skills required, none of my friends are going, I have better stuff to do, no one will ask me to go with them probably, and I almost certainly won't ask them. If someone did ask me, I might go, but only if I had a few weeks to learn to dance, etc.

brickmack
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2012, 8:20 pm

I wouldn't consider going probably, because I don't know how to dance, don't have the social skills required, none of my friends are going, I have better stuff to do, no one will ask me to go with them probably, and I almost certainly won't ask them. If someone did ask me, I might go, but only if I had a few weeks to learn to dance, etc.