Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

03 Apr 2012, 9:16 pm

chssmstrjk wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
I have just started taking prescription Strattera.

If you are being prescribed or have been prescribed Strattera, what was your experience?

I was put on Straterra for ADHD during the first few weeks of my freshman year in high school. But because it made me act out a lot in class, I was put off Strattera (and I am glad that I noticed that Straterra was making me act out before things got even worse). Nowadays, I just stick with dextroamphetamine as ADHD medication.

In my opinion, I am against Straterra being ADHD medication.
Yeah, I got put on short-acting Ritalin for a few weeks in sixth grade (XR formulations still didn't exist). I hated taking it and stopped taking it. But now I don't mind taking meds since I have total control over what I will or won't take.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 8:23 am

Ravenclawgurl wrote:
Blindspot149 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
it enabled me to be calm yet alert. i felt smarter when on it. the only bad side effect was an aggravation of my GERD. too bad this drug costs $600 per month for those of us sans insurance. i've had to get along without it for several years now.

$600 a month! You guys really have it bad.

It's costing me around $130 a month

well you just started the meds so i assume u r on a lower dose often it costs more for higher dosages

Actually the incremental cost for progressively higher doses is a fraction of the relative increase in dosage. $130 is the cost of 28x 80mg capsules. Currently on 60mg per day $120 per 28

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 8:51 am

I only paid around $20 a month when I took it. But my insurance is quite good I suppose.

It worked well, but made me very aggressive and I could never sleep soundly. I was never tired, but I'd wake every hour... Time itself began to pass extremely slow since I was outside my head, and my anxiety went way down. Very educational Medication if you ask me.

But I may have been around 50mg and felt good, then raised it another 10mg just to see if it would help. I then think I forgot about 2 weeks of my life, I can't explain it... just utter disarray.

One mild note, sexual side effects are peculiar... so be careful if your intimate with someone (wear protection). Your body reacts extremely strangely after a couple weeks.

Also make sure your taking the proper dosage, double dosing by mistake made me feel like a NT schizophrenic.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 9:24 am

2 weeks on Strattera now.

Feeling so much calmer, probably the calmest I can ever remember feeling.

Was a bit spaced out last week but that seems to be lifting now.

I haven't noticed much improvement in my motivation or reduction in procrastination.

But there is less 'noise' in my head, which means I am less distracted, so there is an indirect improvement.

Apparently the calming effect is often the first noticeable effect of Strattera.

Seems that the attention/concentration/motivational effects are felt later and often at (much) higher doses than when calmness is first felt.

I also need to keep reminding myself that it takes 4-6 weeks, at a person's ideal dose, for the full effect of Strattera to impact on concentration/attention.

I will be taking 40mg Strattera per day once a day from tomorrow.
- I know that is often the starting dose for adults
- But those on the Autism spectrum get achieve desired results with lower doses
- This has been the case with Lexapro: I take 5mg a day, which is half a tablet and it has been a God send.

So far so good.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 1:37 pm

I'm glad you're all diong well anyway

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 12:23 pm

Strattera update.

I started experiencing a ringing sound about 10 days after increasing my dose to 40 mg.

My doctor is putting me back on 25 mg a day, which had a very powerful calming effect.

That's just a quarter of my expected dose based on body weight, but not unusual for Autistic people, who often require (much) lower medication doses than NTz

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 1:15 pm

We gave it to my youngest son several years ago before trying any stimulants. He's very negative anyway and really sensitive to criticism or anything that he perceives as unfair, he gets very angry about those things and always has and still does. The Strattera made him extremely negative, so much so in fact that we had to stop giving it to him. We triied it with my younger daughter too, but it had no effect on her whatsoever that we, she, or her teachers could tell so we stopped hers too.

He's on Vyvanse now and I can't sing it's praises loud enough.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 12:59 pm

question for those taking it? what time of day do yo take it? because currently i take it at night but my psychiatrist is suggesting for me to switch it to the morning so i can take my other meds at night

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 1:01 pm

Back on 25mg today. My last 40mg dose was last Friday, so the tinnitus has subsided.

Initially the 40mg gave me a real kick, like an amphetamine kick, which was great for concentration. But calmness that I experienced at 25mg was gone and I felt my anxiety rising.

Now, back at 25mg, my calmness has returned, which improves my ability to focus.

For this reason my Doctor has described this as my optimum dose.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2012, 1:58 pm

Ravenclawgurl wrote:
question for those taking it? what time of day do yo take it? because currently i take it at night but my psychiatrist is suggesting for me to switch it to the morning so i can take my other meds at night

I take mine in the morning with my 5mg Lexapro (1/2 a tablet)

But my Doctor told me that Strattera works 24 hours so it doesn't matter when I take it.
- Verify this with your own Doctor please

How much Strattera are you taking and how long have you been on it? How's it going for you?

:-)

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 11:55 am

im on the maximum dosage (100) but im trying to wean down. im currently taking it every other day at night untill my prescription wears out then my doctor will prescribe a smaller pill. that i can take in the morning(the current dose makes me too sleepy to take in morning) unfortunately you cant cut strattera in half so thats why every other day for now im also on lexapro which i used to take in the morning but the doctor recently suggested taking at night and its working better that way ( especially cause its easier to take the same time every day at night, and i can now eat grape fruit in the morning(you cant eat grapefruit within a few hours of taking lexapro because it makes the lexapro less effective))

but over all strattera is working for me

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 12:49 pm

Ravenclawgurl wrote:
im on the maximum dosage (100) but im trying to wean down. im currently taking it every other day at night untill my prescription wears out then my doctor will prescribe a smaller pill. that i can take in the morning(the current dose makes me too sleepy to take in morning) unfortunately you cant cut strattera in half so thats why every other day for now im also on lexapro which i used to take in the morning but the doctor recently suggested taking at night and its working better that way ( especially cause its easier to take the same time every day at night, and i can now eat grape fruit in the morning(you cant eat grapefruit within a few hours of taking lexapro because it makes the lexapro less effective))

but over all strattera is working for me

Glad the Strattera is working or you. What is your Lexapro dosage?

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2012, 2:51 pm

im on 15 lexapro (1 1/2 pills)