Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 11:16 am

I have just started taking prescription Strattera.

If you are being prescribed or have been prescribed Strattera, what was your experience?

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 11:23 am

I was prescribed it years ago, like most meds I didn't notice a difference

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2012, 11:45 am

Alexender wrote:
I was prescribed it years ago, like most meds I didn't notice a difference

Strattera hit me like a freight train on Tuesday when I first took it. Just 25mg.
- Calmness but at the same time alertness and focus, quite different to Lexapro or Valium.

I didn't feel anything like the same effect for the next 4 days so now I am taking 25mg twice a day.

Expect my Doctor will be raising the dosage a bit more.

Based on my body weight and general dosage limits, my max dosage would be 100mg a day - although it seems Autistic people often require lower dosages than NTz.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

01 Apr 2012, 6:09 pm

I've been on, like, every ADHD drug out there. I felt nothing with Strattera in regards to treating hyperactivity and inattention. I finally settled on Vyvanse 50mg. It's so smooth I don't feel when it starts or wears off. But at the same time I know it's working.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 1:55 am

The reason there are so many different drugs for ADHD is that people respond differently. What works for me may not work for you, and vice-versa, even though we have the same diagnoses. So I'd suggest not worrying too much about others' experiences. If it seems to be effective then perhaps you've found the right medication for you. If not, there are many other options to discuss with your doctor.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 6:59 am

straterra interrupted my ability to access my vocabulary... it literally stole my ability to communicate verbally. I could still type, but when verbalizing, I stuttered and floundered

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 9:38 am

It didn't work for me. But give it a try--maybe it'll work for you. Being a non-stimulant, it has the benefit of not having the typical stimulant side effects--you know, loss of appetite, being more tense, racing heartbeat, all that stuff. For me, on stimulants, those went away within a week; but I could still have done without them.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2012, 9:48 am

Callista wrote:
It didn't work for me. But give it a try--maybe it'll work for you. Being a non-stimulant, it has the benefit of not having the typical stimulant side effects--you know, loss of appetite, being more tense, racing heartbeat, all that stuff. For me, on stimulants, those went away within a week; but I could still have done without them.

Hi Callista,

Good to see you, it's been a while and I don't use WP that much now.

Strattera was my Doctor's first choice, due to my ongoing anxiety, chronic and acute.

My dosage is being increased to 60mg, once a day, which I am optimistic about.

I have been taking Lexapro for about 4 months, which has worked well so I was keen to find out if a reuptake inhibitor would also work for ADHD.

I am keeping an open mind, but I am now at a point, personally and in relation to my business, where I really do need medication to turn off the ADHD noise (or at least turn it down) so I am not discounting any of the various medications available.

Will keep you all updated with my progress.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 12:38 am

it enabled me to be calm yet alert. i felt smarter when on it. the only bad side effect was an aggravation of my GERD. too bad this drug costs $600 per month for those of us sans insurance. i've had to get along without it for several years now.

scubasteve
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 1:41 am

auntblabby wrote:
it enabled me to be calm yet alert. i felt smarter when on it. the only bad side effect was an aggravation of my GERD. too bad this drug costs $600 per month for those of us sans insurance. i've had to get along without it for several years now.

It's insane, isn't it? The one I'm taking now costs even more than that. I did some shopping in the great white north until I got coverage. I'd recommend a place, but they just got busted by the fed... American drug companies don't like competition, methinks.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 12:05 pm

im on it it works for me

it has a few side affects though like making my reoccuring sinusitis worse

unfortunately though its expensive as hell and my parents had to fight the insurance agency in order for them to cover it.

Blindspot149
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 12:50 pm

auntblabby wrote:

$600 a month! You guys really have it bad.

It's costing me around $130 a month

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 1:41 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

$600 a month! You guys really have it bad.

It's costing me around $130 a month

well you just started the meds so i assume u r on a lower dose often it costs more for higher dosages

chssmstrjk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Apr 2012, 2:38 pm

Blindspot149 wrote:
I have just started taking prescription Strattera.

If you are being prescribed or have been prescribed Strattera, what was your experience?

I was put on Straterra for ADHD during the first few weeks of my freshman year in high school. But because it made me act out a lot in class, I was put off Strattera (and I am glad that I noticed that Straterra was making me act out before things got even worse). Nowadays, I just stick with dextroamphetamine as ADHD medication.

In my opinion, I am against Straterra being ADHD medication.

Barefoot_Boy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Apr 2012, 2:50 pm

They put me on this type of stuff once. It made me feel bad and weepy. I refused to take it. I am on no meds. Why should I take stuff to alter me? I like me the way I am.

John Greenleaf Whittier

Last edited by Barefoot_Boy on 03 Apr 2012, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 7:59 pm

scubasteve wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

It's insane, isn't it? The one I'm taking now costs even more than that. I did some shopping in the great white north until I got coverage. I'd recommend a place, but they just got busted by the fed... American drug companies don't like competition, methinks.

it's much more than just big pharma greed, it is that a substantial portion of the american middle class believes that the working class doesn't rate any health care at all, that all us low-class slobs are merely disposable "lumpenproles" which, when one breaks, should just be kicked to the curb and replaced with one more from an endless supply of replacement workers.