Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

zzmondo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 8:54 pm

This is going to be a long post but has been something that I've been thinking about for a while and haven't said too much. This isn't intended to be a sad post or to be a rant (I'm intending this post to be mature as this is a really serious thing as I see it).

For a while now, this has been something that has been on my mind since it's starting to hit me now. After thinking and talking to a friend (I see him rarely because his mother is in bad health) for a while, I realize that I have a lot of friends in my school and that I get along with a bunch of people and enjoy their company. I do talk to them but I've been really pensive a lot recently and I haven't said that much in a while but I have two friends that I talk too that understand how I feel right now with my loneliness. The only issue is that my school has people that are from all different areas (it is a private school I feel I should mention) and are far away from me. This would make it hard to communicate with them outside of school, despite the fact I have gone on school trips with some of them (I went snowboarding at Hidden Valley in Pennsylvania this year).

The main factor outside of that is mainly bothering me though is finding a girl. At my school there are literally only two junior girls, neither of which I have interest in. I've never dated, although I do want to find a girl that I want to date eventually after I befriend one and have a romance since I am interested in dating and have learned about how dating works. It's hard to find one though with the fact I don't have much of a selection at all and to be honest I'm not sure how easy it will be to find one even if I expand my circle of friends (although it may not be easy to find the right girl as it may take time but to be honest it's a little hard to lay back on that thought right now) and find other girls.

I'm a friendly person and am easy to talk too. I enjoy making people laugh and smile and seeing people enjoy themselves and being positive. If a friend is down or upset I wouldn't hesitate to just let it go as I would want to make sure they are alright being a friend. I've also been told that I've been a likeable person and am good-looking as well. It's just getting to me though that it's so hard to find other people. I'm considering graduating as a junior this year as I only need one more high school credit that I can easily get but I would be the youngest one effectively going off to college. I'm already part of the PSEO and am taking college courses but I am surrounded by people 5-10 years older then me and it makes me feel that sense of loneliness further not being able to find someone else my age I can communicate with.

How have all of you dealt with loneliness?

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Cannot be determined due to excessive knowledge of momentum

03 Apr 2012, 10:02 pm

Hi zzmondo, first of all, nice new avatar!

I can sort of identify with you. In 6th grade, when I was still living in Canada, the friends I used to hang out with a lot suddenly changed into typical "clique" girls, leaving me to play outside at recess with my one friend that was left, or, in many cases, alone.
I'd say talk to your friends about your loneliness, or, if you want, keep a journal or talk to your parents.

As for dating, don't worry about it. As the saying goes, there are plenty of fish in the sea, and your school is only a tiny part of that sea. If you don't find any girl you're interested in at your school, don't fret. There is always college, where there are a lot more new people to choose from and get to know. Don't limit yourself by going into a relationship too early. (I mean, I'm waiting until college, aren't I? :wink:)

If you're worried about not having many friends, take every opportunity to meet people. Talk to people on your snowboarding trips. Join some school clubs and youth groups that you might enjoy. Chances are, most of the people there will have that exact same interest. Participate in stuff outside of school, and get to know people from other schools. There are tons of options if you know where to find them. :P
The main thing is, don't be afraid to socialize and mingle. Use your humor and show your sensitive side. That way you'll make lots of friends quickly.

I hope this helps! :D

zzmondo
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 10:13 pm

Thanks for posting here. I should have mentioned that I did talk to people on my snowboarding trips my freshman year and this year it was really fun. My friends and I were all playing poker when we were in our palace and we all ate together and talked it was pretty awesome and I got to know everybody more. There was also I friend I had who I always went with even at our local ski resort that I went with and a girl too since we always enjoy going down with each other on the slopes.

Last edited by zzmondo on 03 Apr 2012, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 10:17 pm

zzmondo wrote:
How have all of you dealt with loneliness?

Burying myself in my special interests. Also, posting on forums.

Yeah, I can't really offer you advice,or anything, but you're certainly not alone... in being lonely. :wink:

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 10:20 pm

Sorry, couldn't help it. I think this describes a large proportion of people on WP. :lol:

UnLoser
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 10:47 pm

Jeez, I hope you're not including me in that offensive stereotype. I may not be the most handsome fellow around, but I am nowhere near that ugly!

Albirea
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2012, 11:31 pm

:lol: Don't worry, it's a commonly used Internet meme. It doesn't imply ugliness.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 3:44 am

Nearly every day of my life!

EnglishJess
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 10:30 am

I feel lonely right now, because hardly anyone is talking to me online when I have a lot of time.

sciencefreak222
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Apr 2012, 4:53 pm

:( :( :( :( Somehow i dont feel lonely when i am actually alone. I only feel lonely around a big group of people because theres nobody i can really talk to without feeling awkward. :( :( :( :(

zzmondo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 5:22 pm

sciencefreak222 wrote:
:( :( :( :( Somehow i dont feel lonely when i am actually alone. I only feel lonely around a big group of people because theres nobody i can really talk to without feeling awkward. :( :( :( :(

I understand what you mean by that, I was that way in middle school when I everything was a huge cliche.

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 6:16 pm

zzmondo wrote:
sciencefreak222 wrote:

I understand what you mean by that, I was that way in middle school when I everything was a huge cliche.

Im feeling that right now. I'm at a religious youth conference and I'm all alone. Even the people from school and the gym ignore or stare.

DJames
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Apr 2012, 3:26 pm

Ah, you have discovered the human condition.

Barefoot_Boy
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Apr 2012, 6:04 pm

I often feel lonely. I'm trying to find that special someone, and that special someone has come yet. I have to try harder though. Approaching that special someone is going to be difficult. Anything social like that is downright awkward for me.

John Greenleaf Whittier

frostedlookingglass
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 May 2012, 7:42 pm

Do I feel lonely?

Only in a crowd of people.

I don't feel 'lonely,' per say, but I do feel alone. Perhaps it is simply that I am aware that I am alone. Lately I've been having a lot of panic attacks and emotional meltdowns because I've been feeling aware of this a lot lately. I have never been understood. I have never met a single person whom I could really connect with. I have rarely found people who would give me the time of day.

Sometimes I just start to feel panicked and trapped; I have always been alone.

I know eventually I shall find people who are at least similar to myself, but it doesn't always feel that way.

Obsessions: particle physics, obscure mathematics, astrophysics, patterns, computer programming, chemistry, psychology, neurobiology, drawing, factoids, fractals, et cetera.