Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 8:57 am

I broke countless Wacom tablet pens by chewing on them. Aquarium tubbing is just to soft and so are chew toys speficaly made for autistic people. I need something HARD to chew on and the only thing that really satisified my oral sensory needs were dog toys intended for agressive chewers. I find drinking water fills the same void.

NowWhat
Raven
Raven

04 Apr 2012, 8:59 am

My AS 9 year old has a retainer to keep him from sucking his thumb. After he got the retainer It still took many reminders to get him to stop. The orthodontist said he was going to deform the roof of his mouth if he didn't quit. He also bites the collar and cuffs of his shirts.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

04 Apr 2012, 9:06 am

chewing on books - food for thought :lol:

Ecl713
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 9:27 am

I constantly chew on my tongue like it's gum, I always have from my earliest memories. It's one of the stims most of the time I don't even know I'm doing. And if I try to stop I start stimming with something else such as rocking or foot tapping/bouncing.
Also sometimes I chew on my hand or thumb. And when I get mad I chew/bite my lip or the inside of my cheek.
But I'm pretty sure I'm a HFA and not ASD if that makes any difference.

ValentineWiggin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:05 am

Claradoon wrote:
chewing on books - food for thought :lol:

Corny joke of the day! I love it. :thumleft:

to his Interest."

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 12:27 pm

Nom nom nom *chews on the thing holding her stylus to her computer*.

Sagroth
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2012, 11:55 pm

I chew nails, the inside of my lip, and the skin around my nails/pads of fingers. It's mostly a nervous habit.

FishStickNick
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 12:12 am

Yep; I'll bite my headphone cables, my fingernails and fingernail clippings (yummy), plastic spoons, chewing gum, pens, my bottom lip. I used to chew on my sweatshirt drawstrings, Lego pieces, hair combs, and just about any other hard plastic item I could find. The When I was young, I would also bite my toenails and chew on them; I'm still pretty flexible, but my toes can't quite reach my motuh any longer, which put an end to that.

MusicMama
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2012, 12:43 am

I chew on my bedsheets. It helps me go to sleep and I've done it for as long as I can remember. My husband confirms that I've done it as long as we've been together.

RazorEddie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 2:54 am

I chew quite a lot as well. My nails get it a lot though these days I force myself to stop before they bleed. I used to nearly always have a bit of plastic of some sort in my mouth such as a pen top but these days I go for gum as the plastic tended to make my mouth sore.

Claradoon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

06 Apr 2012, 9:57 am

MusicMama wrote:
I chew on my bedsheets. It helps me go to sleep and I've done it for as long as I can remember. My husband confirms that I've done it as long as we've been together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6bFTVi0hHs

Couldn't resist! :D

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2012, 9:58 am

I chew my food.

Toy Freddy the Fabulous
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Apr 2017, 11:21 am

I chew on my fingers, to the point where they're red and peeling all the time. I got a chewy necklace to stop chewing my fingers.

NotThatClever13
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Apr 2017, 12:07 pm

Yes, I used to chew everything as a child. I've mostly stopped since reaching adulthood but still do it on occasion. It gave me a calming effect and helped to deal with the stresses of being in a school environment.

sunshinescj
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Apr 2017, 12:16 pm

YES! My fingernail/fingers every pen in the house (my mom hides the good pens) straws both to help limit the flow when drinking and because it feels good. I've turned my tongue and lips every color of the rainbow from sores. My kindergarten teacher didn't like us using erasers (she wanted to see our thought process and preferred crossing out) so I bit the eraser off of every pencil I got that year. I chewed tons of holes in my shirts as a kid too and still love hoodie strings. In 7th grade I had a severely germaphobic aide which led to me giving up chewing fingernails/fingers and shredding pencils as my mom called it. I also find chew toys/chewlery for autistic people too soft and the wrong shape I like a certain crunch and pull and like to use my back teeth. Gum doesn't do it at all. I also chewed the buttons and rubber backing off my remote control a few years back the folks were thrilled about that one :D Every new thing brought into the house is followed by don't chew on this / put it in your mouth either!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2017, 12:49 pm

I don't really bite or chew on anything that's not food or gum. When I was a kid I'd chew on my pencils or nibble the erasers off of them, but that was mainly due to nervousness or boredom at school. Most things that are not food or gum taste blech. And biting your nails is not only really gross, but there are billions of germs and bacteria under there!