Page 4 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 2:06 pm

snapcap wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
snapcap wrote:

Blue Velvet is probably my favorite movie, so I'm intrigued - but also a bit confused - why this particular picture is being used in your post on homophobia. :?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Shouldn't be too confusing. Watch the scene. What does he say?

Also, a lot of people think that Hooper's character has repressed homosexual tendencies. Would he be more sanguine if he felt he could act on them without being shamed?

Yeah, okay: "You're like me!"
And to be sure, Frank had had obvious sexual interest in Jeffery. In the scene where Frank and his gang beat up Jeffery, it was supposed to end with Jeffery being raped - but I guess even David Lynch in the end had shied away from it. I thought, though, that the theatrical release had implied that he may have been sexually assaulted.

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 4:21 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
And to be sure, Frank had had obvious sexual interest in Jeffery. In the scene where Frank and his gang beat up Jeffery, it was supposed to end with Jeffery being raped - but I guess even David Lynch in the end had shied away from it. I thought, though, that the theatrical release had implied that he may have been sexually assaulted.

I never thought he was raped, but his behavior did seem kind of odd, kissing him and sending him a love letter, while demonstrating his manliness off his muscles.

I think it's more apparent when he interacts with Ben. He really likes the guy? Why? Because he's attracted to him. Then at the end of Ben doing his dance and song, Booth catches himself enjoying it too much, and he suddenly cuts him off.

some atheist to stick: "You're like me!"

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2012, 4:26 pm

snapcap wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I never thought he was raped, but his behavior did seem kind of odd, kissing him and sending him a love letter, while demonstrating his manliness off his muscles.

I think it's more apparent when he interacts with Ben. He really likes the guy? Why? Because he's attracted to him. Then at the end of Ben doing his dance and song, Booth catches himself enjoying it too much, and he suddenly cuts him off.

Absolutely. :lol:
Now feel my muscles!

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:23 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
B9, do you think that that person was deliberately making an absurd argument? I have obsevered people doing that sometimes, as a sort of game to see if the person they are arguing with can tell that they are not arguing sincerely.

...Because I suspect that even most gay and pro-gay people would not argue that everyone should be bixsexual or else they are bigoted. That's a crazy argument.

And if anyone is going to misunderstand a "deliberately absurd" argument, it's us Aspies.

Hehe, yeah. Most of my "observations" of that behavior involved me being on the receiving end of it (and figuring it out a year later).

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:27 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
B9, do you think that that person was deliberately making an absurd argument? I have obsevered people doing that sometimes, as a sort of game to see if the person they are arguing with can tell that they are not arguing sincerely.

...Because I suspect that even most gay and pro-gay people would not argue that everyone should be bixsexual or else they are bigoted. That's a crazy argument.

And if anyone is going to misunderstand a "deliberately absurd" argument, it's us Aspies.

Hehe, yeah. Most of my "observations" of that behavior involved me being on the receiving end of it (and figuring it out a year later).

I think I resemble that remark. :lol:

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 1:33 am

I'm going to suggest a theory which goes against liberal orthodoxy, so feel free to chew me out on this if you think I'm totally misguided.

I strongly suspect that sexuality is actually "a choice" for some people. I know that there are people who were always going to be gay, and there are people who were always going to be straight. But there are some people who are malleable. Everyone knows stories about men who would have identified as gay if society allowed it, but who instead got married and managed to be attracted to their wife enough to have regular sex with them.

My theory is that some homophobes become homosexuals simply because they spend so much time thinking about gay people. They "mould" themselves. If they hadn't become homophobes, they wouldn't have become homosexuals.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 4:52 am

It seems a recurring theme that many of the most outspoken homophobes sooner or later turn up in the gutter press caught with their pants down in some public toilets / hotel room engaged in homosexual sex. It has almost become a cliché that if someone is really anti-gay that they are likely a closet gay themselves.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 9:26 am

Apple_in_my_Eye wrote:
B9, do you think that that person was deliberately making an absurd argument?

maybe. the tavern that i eat at has undergone a radical change in design, and there are many teenagers and young adults that frequent the place now.

on the night of the dialogue i posted, i was there to get dinner, and i was trying to work something out as i sat at the table eating it (the dinner), and i was involved with my papers.

there were many groups of young adults there, and a number of people started paying attention to me, and they began behaving in a way so as to attract my attention.

at one instance, 2 young men grabbed each others bottom cheeks, and they pretended that they were going to kiss whilst trying to attract my attention. i was aware of what they were doing, but i was not paying attention to them, but eventually i looked at them and shook my head.

one of the men pretended he was friendly, and asked to sit at my table and i said "no", and he said he just wanted to ask me a few questions and so i agreed.

the conversational snippet i posted last night was not the whole dialogue.
there was antecedent conversation that led to him ask me why i was not attracted to men.

i expressed revulsion on a couple of occasions when he was talking, and he was majorly offended.

since i had finished dinner, i simply left.

MindBlind
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 11:02 am

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 5:15 pm

TallyMan wrote:
It seems a recurring theme that many of the most outspoken homophobes sooner or later turn up in the gutter press caught with their pants down in some public toilets / hotel room engaged in homosexual sex. It has almost become a cliché that if someone is really anti-gay that they are likely a closet gay themselves.

It's like how sociopath prison rapists say they're victim is a gay "fag", but they aren't. In prison the rapist claims to be completely straight, and says his victim is the gay one. It's a sociopathic philosophy invented by compulsive liars.

Orr
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 6:41 pm

I find some interest in this video, with regard to sexuality.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qauy46QNmFY&feature=autoplay&list=PLBAF0AFC457D5493E&lf=plpp_video&playnext=2[/youtube]

The right wing video is a lot creepier than Blue Velvet, in my opinion.

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 4:21 pm

b9 wrote:

Hmm, it does sound possible. IME, young (teens to 20's) males are the most likely to try to do that (and the other various shenanigans).