Page 7 of 10 [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 12:40 pm

AngelRho wrote:
Joker wrote:
I would have to say he has a lot of passion but I am like a mulsim for example I refuse to go into deep detail about my faith because people will attack me for it as seen in other threads.

You certainly have to do what you feel is right. But any attacks you get on your faith here will ultimately have little consequence in the grand scheme of things. I don't think you should post an entire book on your faith in here, but you shouldn't let those who believe differently dissuade you from describing what you believe.

My attitude is that any belief not worth questioning is a belief not worth having. As a personal rule, I tend to avoid getting lured into discussions by fellow believers whose doctrinal influences aren't too far removed from my own. The reason being I think it's more important for those of us who are faithful to at least make a show of unity. But even if someone claims to be a Christian and expresses views that seem heretical or unorthodox to me, not to mention faulty reasoning, I'll attack those views at length just as much as I've attacked false claims against our faith from unbelievers.

A lot of what I've seen from Christians has mostly been right on track. Even if your beliefs come under attack and you don't know how to respond, all it means is that you're just missing a part of the picture. Turn the computer off for a few hours, search for relevant scriptural passages, come back, do a little research, and whatever answer it is you're missing will eventually become pretty obvious to you. I haven't abandoned my faith at all since I've started posting here, but I've enjoyed the challenges and am happy that I've gotten a little bit deeper into this whole faith thing. I think it's a shame it's taken me some 20 years to get here in my faith, but it's a great place to be. Don't give up.

Or leave the computer on - just hunt the internet for the theological answers you seek.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2012, 10:31 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Or leave the computer on - just hunt the internet for the theological answers you seek.

Good advice as long as a person is mature enough to keep a cool head and stay calm enough to look precisely for the answers he needs at the moment. In my experience the answers have usually been fairly straightforward and obvious. The issue is that people are often very sensitive when it comes to theology and emotionally don't handle attacks on faith very well. Things like that are easier to handle if one can step away from the situation and approach it again from a better or different perspective.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 2:12 pm

Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Nobody ever asked me that. Calling the Bible fairytales is not all that derisive since that is essentially what it is. Additionally Ragtime's "beliefs" are derisive of basically any contradiction but I do not see you raising issue with that

Fine, show me the fairies...

Talking snake, burning bushes that speak, Eve being made from a rib, resurrection, parting of the Red Sea, immaculate conception, every species living near Noah's house (and fitting on his boat)... etc

You said fairytales. You have to prove fairies then.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 2:14 pm

shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Nobody ever asked me that. Calling the Bible fairytales is not all that derisive since that is essentially what it is. Additionally Ragtime's "beliefs" are derisive of basically any contradiction but I do not see you raising issue with that

Talking snake, burning bushes that speak, Eve being made from a rib, resurrection, parting of the Red Sea, immaculate conception, every species living near Noah's house (and fitting on his boat)... etc

Fairytale is a general term for childish stories that involve magic and other impossibilities. Fairies do not have to take part

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 2:24 pm

Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Fairytale is a general term for childish stories that involve magic and other impossibilities. Fairies do not have to take part

I wanted to see the fairies...aren't they tiny hot chicks with wings and scanty dresses?

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 2:26 pm

shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

I wanted to see the fairies...aren't they tiny hot chicks with wings and scanty dresses?

Eh... maybe in some definitions. Some are rather unpleasant

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 2:31 pm

Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

Eh... maybe in some definitions. Some are rather unpleasant

Oh, I am glad you didn't point out the fairies then. Disney might have been upset.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Apr 2012, 4:02 pm

shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

If so, I'll be a believer in fairies!

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 12:55 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

One of my semi-secret vices that I have to confess to is having a fairy fetish. The sad part is my daughter loves all things fairy and princess-related. So when she plays "dress-up," I can't look at her. It's just too disturbing.

On the other hand, if I could just get my wife to dress up like Tinkerbell...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 1:10 am

AngelRho wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

One of my semi-secret vices that I have to confess to is having a fairy fetish. The sad part is my daughter loves all things fairy and princess-related. So when she plays "dress-up," I can't look at her. It's just too disturbing.

I'd like to get my wife to dress in a cheerleader outfit - with a teeny skirt - or in a maid outfit - again, with a teeny skirt. :twisted:

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 6:40 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I'd like to get my wife to dress in a cheerleader outfit - with a teeny skirt - or in a maid outfit - again, with a teeny skirt. :twisted:

I was never really into cheerleaders, so meh... But I could totally go for the "French maid" look. "Catholic schoolgirl" is also hot IMO.

Ironically, my wife and I have decided that we want to send our kids to Catholic school. There's nothing naughty at all about their school uniforms, but there is another school in the area that allows the stereotypical blouse-and-plaid-skirt as a uniform option.

johansen
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2012, 7:18 am

AngelRho wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:
shrox wrote:
Vigilans wrote:

A fine way to end an 8 page thread about the Bible. :D
------
"Ironically, my wife and I have decided that we want to send our kids to Catholic school. There's nothing naughty at all about their school uniforms, but there is another school in the area that allows the stereotypical blouse-and-plaid-skirt as a uniform option."

homeschool them instead.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 8:14 am

johansen wrote:

A fine way to end an 8 page thread about the Bible. :D
------
"Ironically, my wife and I have decided that we want to send our kids to Catholic school. There's nothing naughty at all about their school uniforms, but there is another school in the area that allows the stereotypical blouse-and-plaid-skirt as a uniform option."

homeschool them instead.

The Bible is a book of fairy-tales and just-so stories. There is very little fact in the Bible. The Biblical account of creation is utter nonsense that has been thoroughly disproved by scientific observation. The existence of the main characters is more a matter of legend than fact.

ruveyn

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 8:16 am

I thought that 'Faerie' referred to one of the ancient races of Ireland.
They were small, furtive, hostile, didn't like humans, and tended to cast nasty spells when annoyed. Which was frequent.

Sylkat

piroflip
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2012, 8:20 am

God exists because it says so in the bible and the bible is true because god says it is.
And the whole silly, supertitious nonesense gets passed from one brainwashed generation to the next.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2012, 8:38 am

piroflip wrote:
God exists because it says so in the bible and the bible is true because god says it is.
And the whole silly, supertitious nonesense gets passed from one brainwashed generation to the next.

"Piroflip" -- model helicopters, right? I love those things. Used to spend way too much time and money on them.