Page 1 of 10 [ 147 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 9:31 pm

What is the world? Not the earth, but the world -- worldly people? What did Jesus think of the world? And how did He define His followers' relationship to it?

John 7:3-7:

Quote:
3 Jesus’ brothers said to him, “Leave Galilee and go to Judea, so that your disciples there may see the works you do.
4 No one who wants to become a public figure acts in secret. Since you are doing these things, show yourself to the world.”
5 For even his own brothers did not believe in him.
6 Therefore Jesus told them, “My time is not yet here; for you any time will do.
7 The world cannot hate you, but it hates me because I testify that its works are evil.”

John 15:18-19:
Quote:
18 “If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.
19 If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.”

John 17:9:
Quote:
“I pray for them. I am not praying for the world, but for those you have given me, for they are yours.”

John 17:14:
Quote:
“I have given them your word and the world has hated them, for they are not of the world any more than I am of the world.”

And also, from James 4:4:
Quote:
You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.

Vigilans
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:20 pm

Lots about hatred and enmity. Yay Christianity!

CrazyCatLord
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 10:44 pm

"The world" is evil. Got it. Let's all hate our planet! God is going to destroy it, and that's a good thing. Why try to save the environment? It's all doomed anyway. Praise the Lord!

Unspecified
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Apr 2012, 10:30 am

I have no idea how I'm supposed to interpret that.
The more people leave that book alone, the better.

Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 10:54 am

The same nonsense rant again...

Jeebus is right beacuse Jeebus says he is telling the truth...

Really, the continual quoting of the bible does nothing to justify the belief of the OP, only make the OP looks more stupid.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 11:08 am

let us all be thoroughly ashamed that we exist.

ruveyn

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 11:14 am

That's a great philosophy, the worlds evil and your bad if you disagree. hmm sounds like BS, besides there's no proof if Jesus existed he said any of that......you do know who assembled the bible right. But don't think about that because remember god came down here and set the bible on the earth and its word or word exactly what happened.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 11:44 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
That's a great philosophy, the worlds evil and your bad if you disagree. hmm sounds like BS, besides there's no proof if Jesus existed he said any of that......you do know who assembled the bible right. But don't think about that because remember god came down here and set the bible on the earth and its word or word exactly what happened.

As a diagnosed Aspie I should know better than to attempt sarcasm. Especially in this forum.

Sorry about that.

ruveyn

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 11:45 am

ruveyn wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

As a diagnosed Aspie I should know better than to attempt sarcasm. Especially in this forum.

Sorry about that.

ruveyn

That was directed at the OP, hence the reason I did not quote you when I posted it.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 12:53 pm

In agreement with Jesus on this one. It's actually comforting as an Aspie hearing these passages, as I don't have to feel guilty for not relating to the world around me as people say I should. Thank you for posting this Ragtime.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 2:53 pm

1000Knives wrote:
In agreement with Jesus on this one. It's actually comforting as an Aspie hearing these passages, as I don't have to feel guilty for not relating to the world around me as people say I should. Thank you for posting this Ragtime.

It's not your typical liberal church Sunday school lesson, that's for sure. Love is a big part of the Gospel message -- in fact, it's the very reason Jesus died -- but there is more that Christians need to understand than love, and the Bible is filled with it: truth.

And that's why I posted these unpopular sayings of Jesus. There are a lot of Christians who believe in just going with the flow of society when it comes to keeping your mouth shut about Christ, sin, life, death, Heaven, and Hell. And guess who likes the kinds of Christians who behave like good and quiet little passive people, as society pressures them to? It is the very "world" Jesus is talking about in those verses. Those Christians are the wicked world's favorite kind.

Jesus was not for keeping quiet and behaving like a good, agreeable, and passive little worldling. That's not why He came to Earth on a deliberate suicide mission -- just to try to fit in and get along. And He said His followers shouldn't try to fit in either:

From Matt 5:
Quote:
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.
12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”

Interesting! So we are to make a difference, and, if it's the good kind of difference, Jesus says we are to expect wrongful ridicule and slander, and sometimes worse. He says to be glad for it! I understand why, and I hope some others here do, or will, too. The prophets spoke the truth; the truth was offensive; they were killed because of this. And their reward in Heaven is great.

Quote:
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.”

So, we are here to stand out because of Jesus' words which we share with the world. And, He says, if we don't stand out in that capacity, we are good for nothing.

Quote:
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.
15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”

Active Christians are under constant pressure by the world to SHUT UP about it. Jesus says not to, and points out the silliness of being a light in the world if we're always trying to hide that light, so that we will go unnoticed and thus fit in.

This thread is for my fellow Christians.

Last edited by Ragtime on 11 Apr 2012, 3:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 2:58 pm

The world is actually a beautiful place, its a shame you guys think it's evil.....I mean I certainly don't like society but I don't see what is so evil about things like nature.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 3:00 pm

Ragtime wrote:
1000Knives wrote:

It's not your typical liberal church Sunday school lesson, that's for sure. Love is a big part of the Gospel message -- in fact, it's the very reason Jesus died -- but there is more that Christians need to understand than love, and the Bible is filled with it: truth.

And that's why I posted these unpopular sayings of Jesus. There are a lot of Christians who believe in just going with the flow of society when it comes to keeping your mouth shut about Christ, sin, life, death, Heaven, and Hell. And guess who likes the kinds of Christians who behave like good and quiet little passive people, as society pressures them to? It is the very "world" Jesus is talking about in those verses. Those Christians are the wicked world's favorite kind.

Jesus was not for keeping quiet and behaving like a good, agreeable, and passive little worldling. That's not why He came to Earth on a deliberate suicide mission -- just to try to fit in and get along. And He said His followers shouldn't try to fit in either:

From Matt 5:
Quote:
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me.
12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you.”

Interesting! So we are to make a difference, and, if it's the good kind of difference, Jesus says we are to expect wrongful ridicule and slander, and sometimes worse. He says to be glad for it! I understand why, and I hope some others here do, or will, too. The prophets spoke the truth; the truth was offensive; they were killed because of this. And their reward in Heaven is great.

Quote:
13 “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.”

So, we are hear to stand out because of Jesus' words which we share with the world. And, He says, if we don't stand out in that capacity, we are good for nothing.

Quote:
14 “You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.
15 Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.”

Active Christians are under constant pressure by the world to SHUT UP about it. Jesus says not to, and points out the silliness of being a light in the world but always trying to hide that light, so that you will go unnoticed and thus fit in.

This thread is for my fellow Christians.

Well then why try so hard to offend people? christians aren't the only ones with thoughts and feelings you know.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 3:07 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
The world is actually a beautiful place, its a shame you guys think it's evil.....I mean I certainly don't like society but I don't see what is so evil about things like nature.

Who said anything about nature? This is about humanity's attitudes and actions.

Ragtime
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 3:09 pm

It's interesting what most people thought this thread was saying: that Jesus wants us to hate.

The message of the thread is that the world hated Jesus.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

11 Apr 2012, 3:20 pm

Ragtime wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Who said anything about nature? This is about humanity's attitudes and actions.

Well all those quotes referred to how evil the world is, I thought that meant the world in general. That said though wouldn't that be a reason to try and improve humanity rather than root for the destruction of it. Or is Christianity really about hate and superiority after all.